Help with new sim buildout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new sim buildout

Need ideas on what to do / build with this screen. This is a 15x10’ foresight impact screen. My wall is 11’9” wide by 11’2” tall. I’m trying to figure out a way to use this screen since I have it and it’s high quality. Any ideas on an enclosure or way of mounting it so that I can use this screen in my space? I would like it to have a finished look once it’s done so maybe I can add some side foam panels or netting. But I’m starting my build with the screen then going from there.
    thanks!

I would fold over the 15’ width and make it like 11’ wide. As it wears, you unroll 2’ and get a new impact section. You could do this twice. Then you would have 10’ high. I would go with a 4:3 image to get as much height as you can and then cover up the screen at the top with a black fabric.

Comment

That’s what I was thinking. But how do I mount that ? Should I fold it and clip directly to the walls or should I build an enclosure? It does have holes in the screen but it’s on the edges if you can see in the pic

Comment

I would use angle iron attached to the side walls and ceiling. Then use tarp clips to attach to the top of the screen and to the sides of the screen on both the folded over side and to the side with grommet holes. Then use adjustable ball bungees to attach the tarp clips to the angle iron. You might gain a couple inches on the sides, you want to get the image as wide as possible to make it as tall as possible. Then use thin strips of black fabric on the sides, just enough to cover your tarp clips and then as wide as needed to cover from ceiling downward until your image starts.

Comment

An enclosure is only going to make your room smaller and you don’t want to make it any smaller than it already is

Comment

I like the simplicity of no enclosure, but my concern was for balls that go either really high or wide. What would you recommend to catch those shots in case they happen given that the screw is clipped to the walls now.

also I would have about a foot or more of space on top of the screen to the ceiling. What would I use to give it a finished look?

and any recommendations on tape clips?
            thanks again

Comment

You can use some type of wall protection, some use carpet tiles, fabric covered foam tiles, etc. for the ceiling you can use netting, black mesh tarp, black fabric baffles, lots of options. Use black fabric from top of the image to the ceiling to give it a finished look. I would suggest looking through all the build threads to get ideas

Comment

Interested to see how this turns out, I’m about to have similar dims myself!

Comment

I'm just starting my build, which like yours will have limited width, 3.75m (just over 12ft). I do plan to build an enclosure, but to maximise screen width I'm going to have the tarp clips & bungees running parallel to the wall, rather than perpendicular. The screen will wrap around the back corner post on each side before being tarp clipped to a second post a few inches from the back post. I estimate I'll get visible screen at least 3.6m wide. So basically the usable screen width will be only 6 inches narrower than the width of the room. That's the plan at least 😁

Comment

• docsmilez
                    docsmilez commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had an enclosure before but the angle iron / tarp clips seems easier and less expensive. In front of the tarp clips I plan on using some black foam panels to hide the edges and give it a finished look. not sure what to do on top though since I will have a foot and a half of empty space from the screen to the ceiling. Will have to come up with something creative

• gojoholo
                    gojoholo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll be using s sheet of custom cut foam for the "roof". Attached to the enclosure with Velcro.
                    You could just get a net attached to hooks in the walls.
                    Last edited by gojoholo; 10-19-2020, 07:58 PM.
                Working...
                X