Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Todd Morgan (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - Mayakoba Golf Classic. We are playing 2 rounds at Quarry Ridge Protee Pin 1: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...a-golf-classic
See more
See less

New UK Cabin build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UK Cabin build

Regular readers of these forums may have noticed something of a pattern with these builds. North Americans are building their sims in the basement, or in the garage, while us UK guys nearly always build our sims in the garden. For those of you outside the UK I'll explain. For the most part in this crowded country, we live in tiny houses that have, if we are lucky, tiny garages and rarely have basements. What we do have, usually, is a garden. So, when the golf simulator bug bites, an Englishman turns to his garden. Unfortunately, while many brave people undoubtedly live in the UK, it is not truly the land of the free. We are subjects of Her Majesty, and Her Majesty's government has decreed that if any subject wants to build a tall cabin in the tiny garden of their tiny house, then we have to get permission from the local council first. Yes, 2 words that can strike fear in the heart of any Brit with ambition to build anything: "Planning Permission". The dreaded planning permission is the reason why, having the idea to build a golf sim cabin in May this year, it is only yesterday that I actually have a completed cabin to build it in. It was in May, during lockdown of course, that I had the idea to build a sim, and I knew straight away that I would need to get permission to build it. Now many people I'm sure never get past this point, feeling its not worth the trouble, but being a golf addict in a lockdown is a powerful motivator, so in late May I initiated the conversation with the local planning department. To cut a long story short, permission was granted in early September (to our North American readers, yes, 3 and half months, it really can take that long. To British readers: 3 and a half months, not bad eh!). Of course, during the first UK lockdown every man and his dog hatched a plan of some sort to improve their humble abode, so getting a decent builder (for the concrete base) delayed matters a bit, then delivery and build of the cabin, then electrics. All of which added up to a total 6 months of planning, scheming, organising, painting and a bit of pleading, but now the cabin is here, and it is ready to accept a sim build. Behold, the mighty shed!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	outside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	298252
    Now, I know what you are thinking: "It's not very big, is it?". Yes, that's true, it is on the compact side. Internally its 4.75m by 3.85m (15'7" by 12'7"), but the height is plenty: 2.9m rising to 3.1m (more than 10' where I'm swinging). Obviously its a little narrow for width, so I'll be hitting off-centre, and a little tight for length, so I went photometric rather than radar. I'd have liked it to be a bit bigger, but this is what I could get through planning, given the size of my garden.
    Over the many months of waiting there was a lot of planning, re-planning and planning again on how to fit it out, but the good part of that was I had plenty of time to think through the electrics. Hopefully I've got it right:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	switches.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	298253
    The PC will be in that back left corner, with plenty of sockets. Plus, you can see next to the window four switches for the sockets on the ceiling.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	lights.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	298254
    Only 2 of those ceiling sockets are required initially, one for the projector and one for the Uneekor (at one point I was going to have a sound bar too, but decided against it).

The lighting strips you can see hold detachable GU10 light sockets, so once the enclosure is built I'll remove the lights from the tracks at that end, so nothing to break. In addition to the 4 lights strips there is an extra individual GU10 socket over the teeing area. While playing that will be the only light on. The screen goes in front of that end wall in the 3rd photo. There will be an archery net behind the impact screen. I'll attach both screens directly to the walls and joists using "boat eyes" and ball bungees. The original plan was a metal pipe enclosure. I had a fancy design all planned out which would have maximised my screen size, but it would have been a nightmare to do any maintenance on it. Behind the archery net will be 6 inches of memory foam (so the screen is just over 6 inches from the wall, to minimise the amount of "lost" space). Hopefully that will work out! With shortish ball bungees I should end up with about 3.55m of screen width (about 11'8"). I originally planned that I would go with a 4x3 screen shape (maximising use of the screen), and position the projector accordingly, but at the last minute I have decided that sometimes I might want a 16x9 ratio, so I will be putting in a sliding rail system for the projector (my own design, fingers crossed).

The sides will be heavy curtains, the top will be golf netting covered by black cloth. For the floor I have some synthetic putting turf, and a Truestrike for the stance and hitting mat. I have been accumulating these materials for months, and everything is ready to go, except the golf net for the top of the enclosure (due next month). So, this is it, this weekend we roll up the sleeves, plug in the power tools and get sim-building. Wish me luck
    My Courses:
    North Hants UK(Lidar RCR)
    Remedy Oak (L)
    Bramshot 2020

Nice work! update us as you go mate. Fellow Brit following your progress!

Comment

Great post! Looking forward to seeing the final product :-)

Could I enquire where you got your cabin as Iā€™m investigating a similar project?

Guy

Comment

Cabin is from Keops. https://logcabins.co.uk/

I've been working on it today. Screen is up and bounce back is under control šŸ™‚
        Last edited by gojoholo; 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM.
        My Courses:
        Remedy Oak (L)
        Bramshot 2020

Comment

I've got the impact screen up.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	298666
          I was hoping to have it at 6-7 inches from the wall, but ended up at 9 inches to get the bounceback down to safe levels. There is an archery net behind the impact screen, and some memory foam behind the archery net. Not too sure how much they are contributing to the bounce control, but overall its working. I've added an extra 1m strip of impact screen material in front of the main screen. If I can get if flat enough I'll keep that in place to take the brunt of the damage from the balls.

Name:	screen_closeup.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	298667

I've positioned the truestrike mat and have checked that the putting turf will come to the correct level when it is laid on top of the chipboard and foam I'm putting underneath it.

Name:	putting.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	298668
          Not sure if I'm going to be able to get both the putting surface and the truestrike gel section into the Eye XO hitting zone, but I'm going to give it a go. I'll tackle the Eye XO itself next. Its slightly complicated by the ceiling not being level. It slopes at about 2 degrees, and the joists are at that angle too (and the joists are at different heights from each other due to the slope). I know where to put it though, using a laser level helps to position things.

Name:	laser.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	298669
          My Courses:
          Remedy Oak (L)
          Bramshot 2020

Comment

Great work keep it going! Mind me asking cost of cabin also?

Comment

• gojoholo
              gojoholo commented
              Editing a comment
              8800 including assembly. Excluding concrete base and electrics.

Thanks, did you manage to get it finished?

Comment

Five solid days work, but its done. All except the top of the enclosure, the net I ordered for that is the only item of the build that has been significantly delayed. For the floor I've layered 22mm chipboard, 12mm foam and 14mm putting turf to bring it up to the level of the Truestrike mat:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	chipboard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.6 KB ID:	299603

Click image for larger version  Name:	foam.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	299604

Click image for larger version  Name:	finished.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	299605
              There's more foam behind those side curtains too.

For the projector I've done a homemade rail system, using "Keeklamp" style tubes/connectors from themetalstore.co.uk.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	rails.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	299606
              That's currently in 16:9 position, but I can slide it back to 4:3 if I want.

I've set the hitting area of the Eye XO to overlap the putting turf by about 2 inches. It means I can put on the turf, and hit irons etc from about 2/3 the width of the gel section of my Truestrike mat.
              Last edited by gojoholo; 11-26-2020, 03:22 PM.
              My Courses:
              Remedy Oak (L)
              Bramshot 2020

Comment

Great work, very impressive!

Comment

Great work!, looking forward for a panoramic video when it is all ready!.

We brits understand the "planning permission" nightmare, very funny!.

Have you put any foam around the edges of the screen in case the ball hits one of the hooks that hold the screen.

I ended up putting a strip of 2 inches of memory foam mattress topper around the screen to prevent any potential impact of the ball into a hard surface and a potentially nasty bounce!
                  I also put wood panels in the ceiling covered with same foam mattress topper (1 inch) and covered in black fabric, they are hanging from the ceiling from a single loop chain. I end up hitting the ceiling if I use a wedge.

---

Comment

• gojoholo
                    gojoholo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm going to put a net over the top, when it eventually arrives. On the sides I'm relying on the curtains to stop the ball hitting the hooks. Time will tell if that's good enough!
                Working...
                X