Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @simmb (NET) and @simmb (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 CHRISTMAS TOUR - ProTee Tour Championship !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - Sony Open in Hawaii. Playing 2 rounds at Wailua Valley GC (ProTee Green Tees) - 6378y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...open-in-hawaii
See more
See less

Canadian winter bunker - Mevo+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian winter bunker - Mevo+

Hey everyone,

After tons of research, planning and hard work my garage is finally a golf simulator!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post on here. I got so much info from this site and GSV’s YouTube channel. Also thanks to Par2pro for providing me with everything.

My garage is 20' long, 18' wide and 9'8" tall. I started off with a completely unfinished space. I did everything myself besides the drywall and had a friend help out with the electrical

Here’s my build...

16’ x 9’ Stealth retractable impact projection screen
    Flightscope Mevo+
    5’ x 10’ Real feel country club elite hitting mat

TGC2019 + gaming PC / Mevo included E6 + iPad pro 2018
    Optoma GT1080HDR with low profile mount

Ceiling mounted curtain track is Vidga series from IKEA (highly recommended for Canadians since I couldn’t find any cheap ceiling mounted tracks. Room dividers now are so expensive in Canada for what ever reason)

Curtains are 54” wide x 120” tall from Wayfair

The turf between my mats was purchased off Kijiji locally. Got a good deal on some great quality stuff. The turf is raised by 2 layers of different thickness plywood to achieve a continuous surface for the Mevo+ to read putts

Here are some pics..

Click image for larger version

Name:	gsim2.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	309902Click image for larger version

Name:	gsim1.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	309903
    Attached Files

Great build, thanks for sharing and for the tips on the dividers. Enjoy the setup.

Comment

Is the screen from par2pro?

Comment

Yes, I got the screen, mat and Mevo+ from Par2pro.

Comment

Do you have HVAC to the space or are you planning on using a heater of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by Mahoooner View Post
            Do you have HVAC to the space or are you planning on using a heater of some sort?
            You can see the heater hanging from the ceiling above the freezer in the second picture

Comment

• Mahoooner
              Mahoooner commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe that is a gas heater? Can OP post the specs and the BTU size and how it does heating the garage? Also, how long before playing do you turn it on? Thanks!

• Cruisin1966
              Cruisin1966 commented
              Editing a comment
              We're Canadian. It's likely run off a thermostat keeping the garage at a lovely self-chosen temp. I keep mine at about 10ºC

But, it would be best for ParPlus2 to give full details as you asked.
              Last edited by Cruisin1966; 01-11-2021, 05:00 PM.

I have a similar heater in my garage from Lennox. Like a furnace, there is a right size for your garage space that they can calculate. Lennox LF25 Garage Heater. It has been a while since I had it installed so the pricing likely has changed but it wasn't that expensive. What can run you up is if you do not happen to have natural gas plumbed into the garage. We were fortunate in this regard so it was only a matter of tapping in to the existing gas service. If you need this run, then it will all depend on your house layout, gas service and location.

That said, they work great - yes - in a Canadian winter we keep the garage at 10-12 degrees C (50-54 F) off a simple t-stat. Can easily pump that up if required.

Comment

• Mahoooner
              Mahoooner commented
              Editing a comment
              I am in Canada as well - York Region just north of toronto. I would have to get someone to run a line into my garage. Do you notice a difference on the gas bill to maintain 10-12 degrees? Thanks!

Mahoooner - not really. There must be an increase but it was installed so long ago that it is just part of the expectation now. Interestingly it also helps regulate the temperatures in the bedroom above the garage so bonus there I suppose.

Comment

The garage heater is a “Hot Dawg” 45000BTU. I had the “pros” install it. What a hack job. If you’re doing something similar I would highly recommend doing things in this order... run the gas electrical/ low voltage wiring first if possible. Complete insulation/ drywall/ paint and then install heater. You will get a much cleaner look rather than a massive sheet of plywood on your ceiling like me. Also they ran the thermostat right beside the access door which may seem like a decent idea but when its -20*C out and you open the door it almost always makes the heater kick on when it doesn't need to. I suggest putting the thermostat in a place where the temperature is more stable. Sadly I was at work when they came to install, I just figured the installers would know what they were doing. I was wrong! As far as performance goes I can’t say anything bad. The thing is a beast.

My heating bill did go up a little more than I’d like but Ive also been keeping it at 19*C haha, Ill try turn it down and fire it up before use. The spike in my bill kinda scares me. I live in Edmonton and this has been the most mild winter I can recall. We have had maybe four -20*C days. The bulk of the winter has been about -5*C.... Well see how things go when we get a few weeks at -40*C

I did have to get a gas line ran because I have a rear detached garage. Sadly all my heat loss from the roof does not go to my upstairs bedroom.

Comment

• Cruisin1966
                Cruisin1966 commented
                Editing a comment
                Similar issue with the furnace in my garage. Thermostat is closer to the man door, but I keep the temp around 12ºC or so. Yes, a really mild winter so far. According to the Farmer's Almanac, late Jan through Feb should be frigid

• Mahoooner
                Mahoooner commented
                Editing a comment
                Appreciate all the details! I do have the advantage of the bedroom upstairs so that will be a nice plus as it has since turned into my Work from Home office.
                I will allow the thermostat to be close to the door into the house to avoid the heater coming on every time we use the garage to come and go - we typically do this instead of using the front door so that is a great suggestion.

I did have the mevo+ but ended up retuning it after they even sent me a replacement. It was working in my garage for a while but then something changed (environment stayed the same) but it was always giving erroneous readings. I've since purchased a GC2 but am missing the software aspect and loved that the Mevo+ came with everything you needed to get going. Hope its working well for you!

Great space and hope you enjoy it! How do you like the TGC software in comparison to E6? I have been looking at it for my GC2 since it is the cheaper option but still like the FSX foresight software (despite their price gouging) and look forward to their 2021 engine update.

Thanks!

Funny thing.... just sent my Mevo+ in to be replaced as well. If that doesn't work I may upgrade to Uneekor... My Mevo was great for full shots but rarely would read putts or short chips. In my opinion E6 is not in the same league as TGC. People say E6 has better ball characteristics which I agree.. but the insane amounts of back spin in E6 offset that to the point where I prefer TGC ball characteristics. I think TGC takes the cake in every category.

I would love a GC2 but I have lots of left handed friends.

Comment

Makes sense! Be careful with what you receive back from Flightscope. When they initially sent me a replacement, they sent me a "new" unit which was clearly refurbished. The red rubber banding all the way around was stretched and black. I didn't even test that one and just said send me a label because its coming right back to you! Overall, I was not happy with the way they handled my support case.

Uneekor was definitely in my list of considerations but I just didn't trust leaving it in a cold garage. I did a bunch of reading with people saying it was OK but didn't trust it for me since I didn't have a heater yet - and still don't. With your setup, it looks like it could be a great fit!
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow that’s brutal. Now I’ll scared for my replacement....

So did they send you a new unit after you sent the replacement back? When did you get your original Mevo? And when did your used replacement come in?

Comment

They did. Brand new in packaging. I was still getting similar results with my first unit so it was either environmental (but nothing had changed from the first month where it worked great), or a firmware issue. I believe the latter since there was a firmware update around the time it started giving me readings that were all over the map. I purchased in February, received it in June. Replacement was end of August after a month long battle for them to finally see the issues. Chasing them down - calling to speak with their technician who was in South Africa. Having the reception skype him to see if he was at his desk before transferring me. Just an overall headache. Funnily enough, I didn't have the best start with Foresight either but now that everything is straightened out, I am much happy with how easy it is to open it up for a quick session and take it down into the house right after. Just don't like the fact that they gouge their customers for every penny. I would never think that software would be over 3k and $150.00 per course. Smh

Comment

Working...
                    X