Name:	jerry3 sim photo.jpg
Views:	3542
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	325972Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo2.jpg
Views:	3366
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	325970

This is my newly revised sim room, not sure how many iterations I’ve had but probably around 10 since 2016. I think this is the one I’ll be sticking with for a long time, although I might upgrade my projector to 4k. I hope this easy build can help some people create a good looking sim room on a budget. I splurged on extras but the foundations that really make up the room were very affordable.

The Foundation of the Sim Room (my room is 22' long x 20' wide)

Putting/ Stance Platform: $450
    I went with 1.5” thick MMA mats, this is thick enough for me to insert almost any hitting strip and just the right firmness under foot to feel like a fairway. I’ve been using it for several years and think it is the perfect solution for anyone that wants to build a platform.

Surround flooring: $340
    I chose 3/4” black eva foam puzzle mats for the rest of the floor, this is soft under foot, easy to clean, looks pretty good, and very easy to DIY install.

Basic Putting Turf: $100
    I’ve used marine carpet from Menards as my putting surface for years, it’s cheap, has great traction and putt pretty true and quick. For the price it can’t be beat. However mine got damaged in my move and no longer putts well so I went ahead and upgraded.

New Premium Putting Turf: $500
    I bought this from Turf Factory Direct because I heard great things their turf and it was pretty affordable compared to others. Rolls true at about 10 stomp.

Fiberbuilt Hitting Strip $300
    I’ve probably tried around a dozen hitting strips and wish I would have bought Fiberbuilt right off the start. It is the most similar turf to real golf imo and the easiest on the joints.

DBGolf’s Direct From Mill Screen: $350
    Not sure if he still sell these, but I bought it from him a few years back and it’s a great screen. Hopefully someone can comment and point to the right place to buy his screens. If not I have an alternative below. I attach this to one of the wire ropes as a backing for the front most screen, it is tensioned at the bottom using velcro. You don’t need multiple screens but because I have them may as well use them.

Par2Pro HQ Imperfect Screens: $300
    I bought this as a backup for my previously mentioned screen. It’s a great price for a great screen with very minor imperfections. This is my front most screen, attached to wire rope at the top using tarp clips. Tensioned at the bottom using velcro.

Side Curtains: $30
    Used for Aesthetics mostly, but also for a little added protection for if someone misses the screen. I drape these over the wire rope.

Ceiling Protection: $50
    Again for aesthetics but also to protect from high lofted shots. I drape this over the wire ropes and attach with tarp clips.

Acoustic Foam: $60
    Used for side wall aesthetics and side wall protection

Tarp Clips $15
    Used to attach screens, side curtains, and ceiling protection to wire rope

Wire Rope $50
    I use this because it’s simple, cheap, and eliminates the possibility of the ball bouncing back at you with any sort of velocity. I used 3 of them… One at 8ft off the ground and 15” from the backing wall, another at 9’ from the ground and 15” from the backing wall, the last one was at 9ft from the ground and 40” from the backing wall. This allowed for me to have multiple screens backing each as well as side curtains and ceiling protection.

Turnbuckles $10
    Used to tension the wire rope

Wire Rope Clamps $20
    Used for fastening a loop to attach to the turnbuckles

J-Hooks $7
    Put into the studs, and used to attache wire rope to the walls

The above covers all the basics I used to create a pretty good looking budget minded sim. Everything below is more personal preference than anything else…

Personal Preference Stuff

Uneekor EyeXO $10,000
    Perhaps the best, most accurate overhead camera based launch monitor that doesn’t require marked balls. If you don’t mind marked balls you can go with QED which is also great. If you don’t want or need an overhead unit then I’d recommend going with GC2.

Optoma 1090HDR $1357.00
    This is a laser short throw projector, it’s bright, has good colors and a 1080p image. I’ve placed this directly over my hitting strip at 9’ off the ground. You could save a good chunk of change and go with the previous version Optoma 1080hdr and achieve a pretty similar result.

Pull Down Projection Screen $280
    This is to give me the best movie/ sporting event watching experience possible. It provides a better image quality than even the most premium impact screens. Just a heads up I couldn’t find my order information so I just linked a random one from amazon, no personal experience with it.

TCL TV: $250
    For a second screen and also pairs well with my speaker choice…

Roku Speakers
    Good Quality Sound, and easy setup with my TCL tv

Swing Optix Cameras: $1,400
    For watching back swing videos in a colored high resolution and high fps.

Other Furnishings: $1,500
    Couches, chairs, mini fridge, tables, entertainment centers, rolling cart, etc

Gaming PC: $1,800
    Prices have gone up since I bought but this is what I’ve got…
    RTX3080
    i7-10700k
    16Gb ram
    500gb SSD
    1TB HD

In total I spent around $19k, which is more than I would have guessed, but if you were to go with a more budget friendly system like Skytrak you could be all in with a setup almost exactly like this for under $5k. Hope this inspired people to go ahead and create your dream sim room!

Attached Files

Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo 3.jpg
Views:	2871
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	325978Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo 4.jpg
Views:	2822
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	325979Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo 5.jpg
Views:	2869
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	325980
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks amazing!! Making me ancy to start my build!

Comment

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you do!

How much better do you like the premium putting turf? What size is it? That’s one of the things I’ll eventually upgrade. Nice setup!

Comment

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        TBH I don't think it's a worth while upgrade for most people... TFD is most likely a more durable turf, and rolls very slightly more true, but it doesn't roll as quick, and obviously I could have bought the marine carpet like 6 times over for the price I paid for the premium putting turf. For the price marine carpet just can't be beat...

But one of the nice things about the premium turf is that it is thicker so it feels slightly better under foot, also better for kneeling on, which I do quite a bit actually when playing with kids etc. Also because it is heavier and has a rubber backing the install is slightly easier because you just lay it down, no need to secure it at all. With the marine carpet I had to use carpet tape on all the edges to secure it, easy enough but a slight benefit of the premium turf none the less.

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        oh and the putting surface is 14' wide x 12' long

Originally posted by jerry3 View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo.jpg
Views:	3542
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	325972Click image for larger version

Name:	jerry3 sim photo2.jpg
Views:	3366
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	325970

This is my newly revised sim room, not sure how many iterations I’ve had but probably around 10 since 2016. I think this is the one I’ll be sticking with for a long time, although I might upgrade my projector to 4k. I hope this easy build can help some people create a good looking sim room on a budget. I splurged on extras but the foundations that really make up the room were very affordable.

The Foundation of the Sim Room (my room is 22' long x 20' wide)

Putting/ Stance Platform: $450
      I went with 1.5” thick MMA mats, this is thick enough for me to insert almost any hitting strip and just the right firmness under foot to feel like a fairway. I’ve been using it for several years and think it is the perfect solution for anyone that wants to build a platform.

Surround flooring: $340
      I chose 3/4” black eva foam puzzle mats for the rest of the floor, this is soft under foot, easy to clean, looks pretty good, and very easy to DIY install.

Basic Putting Turf: $100
      I’ve used marine carpet from Menards as my putting surface for years, it’s cheap, has great traction and putt pretty true and quick. For the price it can’t be beat. However mine got damaged in my move and no longer putts well so I went ahead and upgraded.

New Premium Putting Turf: $500
      I bought this from Turf Factory Direct because I heard great things their turf and it was pretty affordable compared to others. Rolls true at about 10 stomp.

Fiberbuilt Hitting Strip $300
      I’ve probably tried around a dozen hitting strips and wish I would have bought Fiberbuilt right off the start. It is the most similar turf to real golf imo and the easiest on the joints.

DBGolf’s Direct From Mill Screen: $350
      Not sure if he still sell these, but I bought it from him a few years back and it’s a great screen. Hopefully someone can comment and point to the right place to buy his screens. If not I have an alternative below. I attach this to one of the wire ropes as a backing for the front most screen, it is tensioned at the bottom using velcro. You don’t need multiple screens but because I have them may as well use them.

Par2Pro HQ Imperfect Screens: $300
      I bought this as a backup for my previously mentioned screen. It’s a great price for a great screen with very minor imperfections. This is my front most screen, attached to wire rope at the top using tarp clips. Tensioned at the bottom using velcro.

Side Curtains: $30
      Used for Aesthetics mostly, but also for a little added protection for if someone misses the screen. I drape these over the wire rope.

Ceiling Protection: $50
      Again for aesthetics but also to protect from high lofted shots. I drape this over the wire ropes and attach with tarp clips.

Acoustic Foam: $60
      Used for side wall aesthetics and side wall protection

Tarp Clips $15
      Used to attach screens, side curtains, and ceiling protection to wire rope

Wire Rope $50
      I use this because it’s simple, cheap, and eliminates the possibility of the ball bouncing back at you with any sort of velocity. I used 3 of them… One at 8ft off the ground and 15” from the backing wall, another at 9’ from the ground and 15” from the backing wall, the last one was at 9ft from the ground and 40” from the backing wall. This allowed for me to have multiple screens backing each as well as side curtains and ceiling protection.

Turnbuckles $10
      Used to tension the wire rope

Wire Rope Clamps $20
      Used for fastening a loop to attach to the turnbuckles

J-Hooks $7
      Put into the studs, and used to attache wire rope to the walls

The above covers all the basics I used to create a pretty good looking budget minded sim. Everything below is more personal preference than anything else…

Personal Preference Stuff

Uneekor EyeXO $10,000
      Perhaps the best, most accurate overhead camera based launch monitor that doesn’t require marked balls. If you don’t mind marked balls you can go with QED which is also great. If you don’t want or need an overhead unit then I’d recommend going with GC2.

Optoma 1090HDR $1357.00
      This is a laser short throw projector, it’s bright, has good colors and a 1080p image. I’ve placed this directly over my hitting strip at 9’ off the ground. You could save a good chunk of change and go with the previous version Optoma 1080hdr and achieve a pretty similar result.

Pull Down Projection Screen $280
      This is to give me the best movie/ sporting event watching experience possible. It provides a better image quality than even the most premium impact screens. Just a heads up I couldn’t find my order information so I just linked a random one from amazon, no personal experience with it.

TCL TV: $250
      For a second screen and also pairs well with my speaker choice…

Roku Speakers
      Good Quality Sound, and easy setup with my TCL tv

Swing Optix Cameras: $1,400
      For watching back swing videos in a colored high resolution and high fps.

Other Furnishings: $1,500
      Couches, chairs, mini fridge, tables, entertainment centers, rolling cart, etc

Gaming PC: $1,800
      Prices have gone up since I bought but this is what I’ve got…
      RTX3080
      i7-10700k
      16Gb ram
      500gb SSD
      1TB HD

In total I spent around $19k, which is more than I would have guessed, but if you were to go with a more budget friendly system like Skytrak you could be all in with a setup almost exactly like this for under $5k. Hope this inspired people to go ahead and create your dream sim room!
      jerry3 thanks for the in-depth write up, looks awesome!

Did you have any issues with swing optix and gt1090hdr? This suggests the DLP isn’t compatible as it causes flickering: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...co_Feb2021.pdf - think I’ll go budget cameras in any case.

And these are the flicker-free bulbs being recommended: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...co_Jan2021.pdf

Still figuring out what to prioritise in a projector - lumens, 4K, LCD/DLP? Looking at Optoma gt1090hdr (for laser life and lumens), upcoming viewsonic px748 (4K, but also aimed at gaming market, good initial reviews) or Panasonic vz580 (lcd, wuxga, lumens).

I like the idea is using cables/wires too - can’t wait to get cracking on my set up!

Comment

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately yes I do have trouble with the swing optix and the 1090hdr, I bought swing optix when it was first released (first day of availability) and they didn't tell me about these issues or otherwise I wouldn't have bought them tbh. If I hadn't already bought them I would go with the budget cams...

I really like short throw projectors for the easy setup and no worry of shadowing, but a lot of people really like those Panasonic's... Imo the most important thing is going to be lumens, contrast and resolution in that order.

If you buy a low lumen projector for a room with a moderate amount of light you will be unhappy with the image quality. If you buy a 1080p projector with a high contrast ratio it will look better than a projector with a higher resolution but lower contrast ratio. If you can get both high lumen and high contrast in a 4k projector then that is ideal, which you can, but it cost quite a bit unfortunately.

Jerry 3's Sim Room Video

Decided to upload a video, I mis spoke a few times but I think the video shows just about everything (speaking out loud to your self on video is a bit uncomfortable lol).

Comment

• HowardL
        HowardL commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice helpful coverage of an awesome setup Jerry! I talk to myself all the time. It is speaking I front of a group that is the problem. Camera shy!

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        HowardL yeah i talk to myself a bit too, mostly when I'm angry but it felt weird talking on camera, felt like I forgot how talk lol

• richerod
        richerod commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic job. Looks like a great environment.

jerry3 thanks for posting the video, confirms the approach I’ve taken in my plans! Awesome to see the real deal. Have you had to worry about soundproofing?

https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/product...ctors/PX748-4K this is the new model out soon - states true 4K but only 4000 lumens compared to 5000 GT1090hdr and it’s not lcd (dc3 which seems be a variant of DLP I think). A local seller is presenting a preorder price of about $1500 including sales taxes. Debating whether to pull the trigger on this!

Comment

• 14MPH
        14MPH commented
        Editing a comment
        jerry3 the more I look into that viewsonic model the better it sounds - 4K, side and normal ceiling mount, warping tool in case I need to project on a curved screen, etc. - it’s like a sign I should go for a curved screen for the sim now! 😂

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        14MPH it does seem like a great mix of specs, those curved screen do look pretty great lol

• jdang307
        jdang307 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that US pricing? Seems like MSRP is $1k

Did you ever try your Eye XO on the slide you had the QED on? Trying to figure out if there are any issues with the EyeXO on a slide prior to buying!!

Comment

• Treyc321
        Treyc321 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, yeah I’ve seen his slide video too, I am hoping to be the third on here with the slide!!

• Treyc321
        Treyc321 commented
        Editing a comment
        jerry3 one more question (for now)...how far are you from the screen?

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Treyc321 I hit from right about 7ft from the screen. The front of my hitting strip is at 6ft, middle is 7ft, and back is 8ft

Looks fantastic jerry3 , nice work!

Comment

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

Outstanding job. That looks really nice. Love the Bulldog. I miss ours. My mum had several. Do you think there is much difference from the 1080 HDR and the 1090 HDR, I know yours is laser and a few lumens more, but wondering if there is much of a difference. I have the 1080 but was thinking of going to the 1090.

Comment

• jerry3
        jerry3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks @pwade! Love bulldogs too, they have great temperaments. I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and he's been glued to me ever since, he follows me everywhere.

I haven't had the 1080hdr but tbh I don't if if it would be a worth upgrade moving to the 1090hdr. The 1090hdr has 300:1 contrast ratio and 4200 lumens vs 1080hdr 50:1 contrast ratio and 3800 lumens. If I had the 1080hdr I might consider waiting for 4k model that fits my price range.

Adding step by step instruction on how to do my putting/stance/ hitting insert since I've been getting a lot of questions on how to do it.

This is what I did for my putting/stance platform and is my typical recommendation because it's very easy and affordable. I've had this as the base the foundation of my putting/ stance surface for several years now and I think it's great. It's also light weight and modular if you ever want to move it or make changes.

1) Buy 1.5" thick MMA Mats from Amazon, this is thick enough to insert almost any hitting strip and just the right firmness under foot to feel like a fairway. I’ve been using it for several years and think it is the perfect solution.
      2) Buy your putting turf, for budget conscious buy marine carpet, for a more premium experience buy from Turf Factory Direct
      3 )Buy your preferred hitting strip (I highly recommend fiberbuilt, your joints will thank you!)
      4) Measure your platform and cut your putting surface to size
      5) Place your putting turf onto your platform
      6) Place your hitting strip exactly where you would want it to go, mark it and cut out the spot in the turf and the platform (can be done with razor)
      7) Insert Hitting strip and you've got your self a great looking platform

Comment

Hi Jerry, Great setup! I am curious about your launch monitor. Uneekor EyeXO recommends being 12ft from ball to screen. How did you get it to work from 7’? Thanks again

Comment

• jerry3
          jerry3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ttime65 thanks! Uneekor recommends 12' for safety reasons, but it isn't required for the unit to read the ball. In truth all you need is enough room to swing a golf club and that is good enough because the unit only reads a few inches of ball flight. If I hit from 5ft it would be no different than if I hit from 12', it would read the exact same

Very cool. I see an upgrade in the near future. You get detailed swing path and club face data as well? I’m using skytrak currently. Also, what simulator software did you wind up going with or are you using the uneekor courses? Thanks again for the great posts. The video was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttime65 View Post
          Very cool. I see an upgrade in the near future. You get detailed swing path and club face data as well? I’m using skytrak currently. Also, what simulator software did you wind up going with or are you using the uneekor courses? Thanks again for the great posts. The video was excellent.

You get club info but have to use stickers to get the club info. Otherwise you just get ball data which is still pretty accurate and works just fine for sim golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttime65 View Post
            As mentioned above yes you get all the club data if you put stickers on your clubs, if you don't put the stickers on the clubs you'll only get the ball data.

Comment

Working...
            X