Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulator garage build on a budget...

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a simulator in my garage. First and most important question... does it fit? 16ft length, 8ft height and 8ft width. I say 8ft height but that's the beams going across the garage, so swinging inbetween them I have a good 12ft ro play with. I've taken some practice swings in there and it feels okay, but perhaps not with a driver, wood or my hybrids. I play cobra one length irons so wouldn't have an issue there.

Has anyone had any experience with a simulator build in these dimensions?

I have the Garmin R10 launch monitor on order which was intended for use at the range but the home set up is appealing if it's doable.

I'm not sure if it is possible. What exactly do I need? My budget post launch monitor is anything up to £1000 I would say. Is that going to cover screen, projector etc? I can lay artificial grass throughout the garage and have access to a hitting mat from a friend who is a pro.

Am I deluded in thinking I may be able to get this sethup within my budget?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a a good projector (compatible with the R10), a good screen and so on?

Any help appreciated. I'm not very DIY savvy so this really is an amateur project.

Thanks!

can you post some pics of garage with dimensions

Comment

Will do. I need a few days to clear it out and I'll update this thread. Thank you:-)

Comment

I would say 8ft wide is tight but take a few practice swings and see how you feel. Even if just hitting irons im sure it would be worth it.
        My setup is basic in a single garage and is slightly wider at 9.8ft wide.

Check out my channel on YouTube, lots of video and a few setup videos that may be of help - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk0...TuqHzlwu59NH0A

Maybe look second hand for a projector - less about being compatible with the LM more about the throw ratio and working out projection image to fill your screen etc. Where you mount the projector will be key. Projectors can be a bit of a headache at first glance.

Comment

Brilliant, thank you. I'll have a look at your channel.

Swing wise I'm comfortable bit it's going to be the projector that's the issue I think. I dont want to be casting my shadow onto the screen.

I'll clear the garage and upload some photos. Really appreciate the replies so far.

Comment

you can always go floor mount, but that gets expensive due to the cost of the box ( 350 or so ) and you need a ultra short throw projector. being only 8 ft high, you will probably get some shadowing. After you hit just move over to see your shot.

Comment

I've nearly completed my budget sim in a detached garage. 12Lx8H. I'm using the Epson Home Cinema 1060 with Garmin R10. Sim components, including screen, Garmin, PC build for e6 connect, projector and mount, surround speakers and misc hardware was about $2300. Plus I spent a couple hundred in modifying the ceiling height. I'll get pictures up soon. I tried the e6 connect demo for the first time today. I'm sold on the platform but have to decide if it's worth the price. Feel free to fire off any questions.
              Last edited by Capz65; 09-06-2021, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Regarding the height, I added rafter ties higher up and removed one ceiling joist in the hitting area. I'm waiting on the advice from a friend who is well versed in structural engineering on whether I can remove the other two, so I can swing a driver.

Comment

• JWheazy
                  JWheazy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If its a ceiling joist, you should be able to remove it. You will end up bracing your roof joist higher up correct? I run a roof truss company, the ceiling joist is probably non structural. If its a roof truss and you remove the bottom chord of 2-3 in a row, you will be in big trouble and your roof will start to sag

Originally posted by Capz65 View Post
                I've nearly completed my budget sim in a detached garage. 12Lx8H. I'm using the Epson Home Cinema 1060 with Garmin R10. Sim components, including screen, Garmin, PC build for e6 connect, projector and mount, surround speakers and misc hardware was about $2300. Plus I spent a couple hundred in modifying the ceiling height. I'll get pictures up soon. I tried the e6 connect demo for the first time today. I'm sold on the platform but have to decide if it's worth the price. Feel free to fire off any questions.
                My 1940's garage is short height as well. So I kinda gave up on swinging inside as I would have to remove another ceiling joist. I set up my mat outside and swing into garage into net that slides on cables. But now I think I want a cheap short throw projector and enclosure for it. I could also set projector on floor behind or beside me that will take it out to 12 ft away from screen. Not sure what to do. Should have made my newer basement deeper than 8 feet.
                Got the R10 as well and like it

Comment

I got the go ahead to remove all 3 of my ceiling joists after someone qualified looked at the rafter ties I installed. I can now swing all clubs including driver. It wasn't that hard. I did it myself in an afternoon after getting the materials. If you're up to it I can share what I've learned. And I believe your dimensions will work. I have my projector (regular throw) at about 15' from 11' screen. Ball to screen is 10'. Rough estimate, If you are 8' from screen, projector at 13'. You can ceiling mount behind you with room to swing. I'll check a throw ratio calculator with my projector and your dimensions.

Comment

Epson PowerLite X49 projector specs, projector reviews and current street prices.

A 4:3 projector like this Epson will give you roughly 8'Wx6'H at about 13'.

I'm liking the R10 too. Haven't figured a practice routine yet but I'm having fun with E6.

Keep us updated.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by Capz65 View Post
                      I got the go ahead to remove all 3 of my ceiling joists after someone qualified looked at the rafter ties I installed. I can now swing all clubs including driver. It wasn't that hard. I did it myself in an afternoon after getting the materials. If you're up to it I can share what I've learned. And I believe your dimensions will work. I have my projector (regular throw) at about 15' from 11' screen. Ball to screen is 10'. Rough estimate, If you are 8' from screen, projector at 13'. You can ceiling mount behind you with room to swing. I'll check a throw ratio calculator with my projector and your dimensions.
                      Thanks, I am interested and can sen you dimensions. I dont mind hitting outside, wait until it gets cold, currently I am looking for a quiet cheap impact screen to place in front of net as the tarp is way too loud

Comment

So I have the screen up but now I am struggling with projector placement. As noted I am hitting into the garage from driveway. I have a box build for the projector but don't really like it right in front of me. I think the incline of driveway along with projector box is too much and i might be hitting back of projector box frequently. When I did set it offset it a bit the image just looked poor.

I tried with projector to the right of the tee but it really seemed to mess up the R10 as distances were really short. I have used the R10 and had a good setup with proper distances so I think having the projector box so close messed it up.

Now I am thinking of a wall mount. Placing the wall mount on front of garage right above the door. This will have to be a quick release mount as the projector will have to come in when not in use. Still trying to find a proper mount

Comment

I've never seen a quick release mount. Maybe you can adapt a RAM style ball and joint. That'll come off easy. Garmin wants the R10 at least 8 ft from the screen so it makes sense the box would affect the readings. How big is the box? You tried to move it closer to the screen? I wouldn't worry about hitting it if the backside is sloped.

Comment

Working...
                          X