Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i weight down my screen at the bottom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i weight down my screen at the bottom?

I started my budget garage build this weekend and it turned out great!

Here's a video of the timelapse build:

Screen: 9x12 basic screen on clearance from Carl’s place7 - $200
    Bungees: Carl’s place - $50
    Hitting mat: used grade B from rawhide golf - $160
    Various building materials - $60

My big question now is should i weight my screen down at the bottom a bit?

It seems like on lower shots the distance from screen to wall is a little too close for comfort.

I have the lower portion of my screen bungied It took some playing with to get the feel right and a lot of headache cause I didnt want the bungees to be higher than my hitting mat but it works great balls drop quick

Comment

Nice magnets - how long did that take you in real time? Thanks for price list/links...

Comment

• magnets
        magnets commented
        Editing a comment
        I built it over 2 days but i could have got it done in 1. I had to run out and buy more materials after initially hanging the screen.

Nice job and cool time lapse video. Do you have grommets through the bottom? If so, you could get an elastic cord and weave it through the holes and secure it on the sides. It may take some adjusting the tension to get it to your liking. For the top, is it screwed directly to the wood support? It may be an issue an over time with higher shots since the screen is fixed solid there and can't really flex and absorb the impact vs if you had done the same thing that you did on the sides with using bungees. If that doesn't work, you could also roll up something and place it on the ground behind the screen. I have some rolled up thin outdoor carpeting since the bottom of my screen moves as well.

Comment

• magnets
        magnets commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Yes there are grommets at the bottom. I actually bought some weighted draft guards off Amazon yesterday and i am going to try and bungee those to the bottom and see how well that holds the screen.

If that doesn't work i'll give the elastic cord a shot!

You can use lead rope put in a pocket sewn at the bottom of the screen. Without something weighting the bottom the occasional ground ball you hit will go under the screen to God knows where. Both screens I have had over the years came with the rope as part of the deal.

Comment

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        They both came with 'lead ropes' as part of the deal? Which screens were they and did they hold up? I've also heard if you build a foam ramp at bottom of screen it prevents balls going under too - and has the advantage of returning the balls to you down the ramp when they hit anywhere on the screen.
    Working...
    X