"Clean" install ideas for computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Clean" install ideas for computer

I'm trying to keep my sim room clean and modern looking. I'm toying with putting the computer in the AV room beside my sim and then just mounting the monitor on the wall (wired back to computer) and using a wireless keyboard. There are some downsides to this though (more cable in general, need pass-throughs and loooong cables for the swing cameras as they are on tripods ...). Need somewhere for the wireless keyboard to sit as well.

Have any of you put the CPU in an adjacent room or closet? How is it working?

Would love to see pics of whatever anyone has done to keep their computer installation "clean".

Thanks in advance.

I don't have anywhere to hide the pc like you're asking but I have managed to automate the power up and shutdown processes. I use a Google mini with assistant. I say hey Google let's play golf. The projector, PC, and lights come on and e6 loads automatically. It's a combination of iftt, wake on lan apps and harmony hub. If you have a place to hide the pc you really won't have to access it at all.

Comment

No swing cameras but my gaming, television and media storage computer are all in the office on the main floor and I have two wireless keyboard/mouse setups for the garage or the great room, depending on which room the HDMI splitter is set for.

The garage just has a wired HDMI and USB outlet (for the receiver) to avoid cross-ventilation into the house while the great room has a central vacuum outlet behind the Frame TV that has a 30' conduit run to the office where the PC, splitter and one connect box are. Reception is fine on the main floor as long as you aren't on too oblique an angle so the signal passes through several studs instead of straight in line through the wall.

As far as turning the setup on, the PC is never turned off and wakes when you power a mouse on.

Comment

This video shows the early, almost compete, version of my simulator. I have a contemporary house so I wanted to keep it clean and modern-looking too so I grabbed two cabinets from IKEA along with some shelving and mounted them under my 55" monitor. I have an HP ProDesk 405 G4 Mini Desktop PC with a Ryzen 5 GPU inside the left cabinet. That connects to the monitor and overhead projector via HDMI cables I ran up the wall. I also installed a DIY outlet which allowed me to plug in an outlet below the cabinets and run ROMEX up to the monitor. So, it looks like there was always an outlet behind the monitor. I ran a second, 50 ft HDMI cable up the wall, through the projector mount arm to allow for both monitor and projector use.

I have wired keyboard and swing camera, but I have not yet drilled holes for any of those cables, but that would just take a minute. I also kept my Wii which is installed in the right side cabinet so we can play Wii games when everyone gets tired of hitting balls. My wife was reluctant at first to give me the downstairs playroom to convert into a Simulator, but now she loves it.

Comment

My sim PC is in a small room under the basement stairs right next to the screen. Hardest part was getting cables from the projector and QED back to the room, I had to drill through the floor joists and fish the HDMI and ethernet cables.
          Active USB extension cables were required to hook up the cameras and run back to the PC room and also needed longer power and video cable for the small monitor.
          Keyboard and mouse are wireless and work quite well, the signal only goes about 10 feet and through 1 wall.
          Attached Files

Comment

• timsiegle
            timsiegle commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! The room is 21' x 14'9" wide and the screen is 12' x 7'10"

You'll find a few more details and pics in this post https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...uild-thank-you

• Myurch
            Myurch commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Mine is going to be 14x19. Do lefties feel cramped while hitting? How far do you hit from screen? I didnt see it in the thread

• timsiegle
            timsiegle commented
            Editing a comment
            The hitting position is pretty much in the center of the room so no problems for lefties other than ceiling height. There's ~8 feet from the mat to the screen which helps give more room behind for movement and sitting. The room doubles for movies and TV so there's 2 chairs at the back.
        Working...
        X