Garage Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Golf

Have raised the roof in garage from 7 ft to 10.5 ft using Gusset Panels that my world famous architect neighbor assures me will work great and actually strengthen roof (if done the way I did them with double sided plywood & added King truss - Garage is 19 x 19.5 and have taken out old door and racks and built by hand Barn Doors that slide to create more space. Built Lean too on back side of garage with metal roof 18 x 10 to add all my junk in garage to clear out. Will be spraying entire inside of garage white and adding Uneekor EyeEXO simulator with two cameras, gaming computer, custom 14x9 ft screen (3ply) and TGC 2019 with help from my mentor Mike from Visgolf. Roof is raised, Barn doors hung and lean too built - See video of progress here on my linkedin page https://www.linkedin.com/company/3557963/admin/
    Still have to get limestone gravel down in lean too and paint inside garage - will be adding a wood burning stove too to make it cozy in winter and a stock pond swimming pool in yard for summer and will be teaching people how to play golf and play. Also working with Brandon Pugh on a special yet to be announced project that is going to be very cool. But a clue is it involves recreating a course of old as I'm a passionate Hickory Player and play Cherokee GC in Louisville, KY (1895) that another friend of mine just created in TGC 2019. I'm a director for Golf Heritage Society a 50 year old organization that embraces all golf from beginning to Top Golf and everything in between and I'm bringing them into the simulator world. More of you need to join us at https://www.golfheritage.org/membership-join/
    Attached Files

That looks great! Do you live close to Massachusetts? I will be doing something similar to my 18x11 garage with 7 ft wall height. I will be removing the roof on the 14940's detached garage as it is old with many layers of shingles and moss and such. I want to then raise the 7 ft wall height to 10 ft and rebuild the roof. I will need to keep garage door function and also some storage on shelves on the side. I probably will build an addition behind existing garage to store some stuff. I will need to insulate it (do rodents eat insulation) and level the floor or at least make it much nicer as it is pitted. Already have plenty of electricity.

This is a copy of another reply. So many great garage builds. looking forward to doing mine. It also servers as a pool cabana

Comment

I fretted about how to safely raise roof for many years and my neighbor who builds hospitals told me to just lay out a truss as High up as an 8 ft 2x6 truss would go and fit and then to put in a king truss from center to top and then nail the heck out of it on both sides with 4x8 1/2 inch plywood - so this got me from 7 ft to 10.5 ft. Each side took a complete 4x8 piece of plywood so I had 9 and needed 18- $27 sheets of plywood and 9 2x6 trusses with additional 2x4 king truss pieces. This keeps the /\ in roof firm and forces pressure down the walls and does not allow them to push out on walls, but you have to lock in both sides with Gusset Links (the plywood).

Add a mac daddy $400 Paslode nail gun (that's awesome BTW) so I have about $1100 in this roof raise but now own a mac daddy nailgun. The Barn doors cost about $110 in materials and $250 in the hardware to hang it= $360 and the lean too on side was about $500 in materials (mostly the metal rool at $280) So all in with nails, screws,paint, etc I'm at about $2100 DIY. I still have to buy some gravel $200 and paint $300 - so I will be pushing $3K to get it done - then about 21K for sim stuff and I'm in business.

Fortunately I have a ton of turf and access to some siding (using the old garage door for part of it on lean too). the lean too is not leaking any water on the attached to side roof part and the gutter from side of garage is working perfect to direct all water into a drain ditch. All in I should be done at well under 25K and have a pretty nice place by Feb. Turns out my mother in law lives in an OLD place that her 90 year old aunt lived in and her husband owned a woodstove business (1940's) and there are several old woodstoves - brand new from the 1940's in there, with the stove pipe and everything which will save me a ton of $$ and have a awesome high quality way to heat it up. My neighbor 100 yards away has enough aged hardwoods to keep it warm for many years too. I already have a propane heater to give me quick heat that takes it from 10 degrees to 60 in about 15 mons and by then the fire can maintain. Jan/Feb are the only serious could months anyway and I should be able to maintain a fire in woodstove at all times in cold months.

My business will be Golf Education Encounters - www.golfee.golf

Comment

hey Hickory James - you're moving on that build - congrats!!! Good job on Propane heat and firewood for heat too... I'm in Northern Indiana and it's colder up here and longer... though I'm only heating a 12'x16' room - I've tried 4 heaters now (2 heating panels, 1 infrared and 1 oil heater) and nothing can get me above 56-57 on a cold day. My last try is a 1500 watt electric quartz tower, but even that may not be enough.

I'm looking at ending all of these trials and just put the Mini-Split in like I wanted to do at the start! Here's a few I'm looking at, which apparently only draws about 8amps peak for my room size!

1.) Della (control it with App - I have a 1500 watt unit now and I love the app control), if this gives me almost twice the heat - should be fine:

2.) Senville (one of the cheaper units, and still good, not quite as good on AC, but still 9000 BTU)

Oh - really cool on the Golf Education Encounters! Create a separate post about that... looks really, really great!
        -Brett

Comment

sounds like great builds

Comment

My Propane heater is from Home Depot and cost $100. Puts out 80,000 BTU's and can heat my 19x19 garage with ZERO insulation when 10 degrees to 60 in about 15 mins on high. Now the bad side is it will burn thru 20lbs of propane in 9 hours but I can warm space in 15 mins and turn it off then have the wood burning stove going to maintain heat. Fortunately it does not get to 10 too often here in Louisville. Eventually will look at doing foam panels or something to insulate whole garage

+ Working on Screen Frame now where those peg boards are (will move them). Screen will be 9 tall and 14 wide with heavy velvet black curtains 9 tall on both sides to 8 Foot to screen. Will be 10 foot from screen with hitting area to accommodate both left and right from center of hitting area.
            + Tourlinks flooring with Challenger Turf will give some realistic turf like flex from floor and be able to change out hitting area on regular basis. Condensation coming up from under garage should now be eliminated and lean too on side has already almost stopped water saturation around garage to keep floor dry. Will probably do floor panels out their too. Was looking at panels from Home Depot and the Tourlinks looks to be about 30% more cost but I have had them in a green in ground in front yard now for 20 years in all elements and they are still in perfect shape and can't imagine those panels with wood on them from HD ever doing that - Tourlinks panels basically last forever??

Going with Uneekor EyeXO and a BenU Laser 4K projector, CyberPower Gaming PC and some Uneekor Cameras. TGC 2019 & will have Huevos Rancheros Saturdays for a few groups each AM. Looking into having some 3D mapping for teaching - DTF on that working on the ROI right now & options to determine best route to go - going to PGA Show in few weeks to see.

Been working with the George Gankas Swing Coach program (online) for my own game and how to teach others using his materials and methods. George teaches how to best match up swings with what people have to work with which is cool and really he is just teaching the way Sam Snead, Bobby Jones and some of the great played and/or unique swings like Matthew Wolfe and how he matches up his swing to optimize the results. George is awesome and I have learned much. But like anything you have to work and learning and then doing to get anything out of it and it is not easy, but will be worth it in the long run. I'm about 5 months in.

So been pretty active this winter, more to come... Will do lots more pictures as I go. Looking forward to the spray painting of the inside of garage build - all white and talking to folks about lighting options in there to accentuate the gusset panels which could be really cool if done right.

Comment

Here is a video I have posted on youtube - Screen is actually perfect but I use a protector sheet when giving lessons or for practice, hence the ruffles

Comment

I had Brandon Pugh create my favorite Hickory Golf Course Foxburg CC in Foxburg PA. Actually has limestone sand/water boxes on all the hickory tees - all over 130 years old. I play this course all the time getting ready for the National Hickory Championship in June and the Foxburg Hickory Championship in August all pre 1900 golf with smooth face irons and Gutta Percha balls.
                Here is a fly over I paid extra for, to showcase each hole in TGC 2019

Comment

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hickory James - how do we contact Brandon Pugh? Fantastic video and course design!

Goes by friendbomber has a 20 page thread at top of course designer for hire - bpugh27@gmail.com

Comment

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hickory James - yes, I follow friendbomber up here... didn't realize his name though, thanks. He's definitely one of the best TGC designers, awesome!
              Working...
              X