Just finished my garage build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished my garage build!

It took me about 6 weeks and I did everything myself, except for hanging the drywall. My wife was pissed about my taking over our detached garage so she took over my home office and made it into a home gym, which was a perfectly fine trade by me. I started out with a pretty modest vision and budgeted around 5 grand. As I got into it though, I decided to do it right so I didn't feel compelled to redo it again. Plus it was fun to remodel the garage into my own personal "safe space". So I blew past my budget and spent many, many more hours than I planned. But I'm pretty thrilled with how it all turned out. Big thank you to this group for all the help and ideas I came across in the hundreds of threads I read. I list all the equipment and whatnot at the bottom of this post, for those who care.

Starting Point: unfinished detached garage, 17'x15' and 8' ceiling
    Starting Point: unfinished detached garage, 17'x15' and 8' ceilingClick image for larger version  Name:	START2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	355707

Raised ceiling to 9'6", which was the highest I could go without risking the structural integrity of the roof (it's plenty high for me). Removed garage tracks. I made the garage door removable and if anyone cares why/how, just ask.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mid 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	355708

The floor was about 5" out of level over 12 feet so I decided to level it by building a sleeper system, which was cheaper than tearing up the concrete. It was a first for me and I basically leaned on youtube for instruction. You might notice that the subfloor has two levels. I did this because the hitting mat is thicker than the putting mat and I wanted it all flush so i could putt off the hitting mat. So the floor is recessed where the hitting mat goes. I also left the floor near the garage door alone because I didn't know how to make it transition from a raised floor to the garage door.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mid 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	355709Click image for larger version  Name:	subfloor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.6 KB ID:	355710Click image for larger version  Name:	carpet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	355711

Choosing paint (went with BM Nightfall) and building the enclosure (built it within 1" EMT and Commando Cloth). I would highly recommend using $0.99 spring clamps from Home Depot to connect the screen to the cloth, rather than tarp clips. I've already broken a few tarp clips with my shots. They're pretty crappy and the spring clamps are indestructible and hold much more tightly. The enclosure is 4:3, 130" x 100ish.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	paint.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	355712

Trimmed it out, installed the equipment and finished it up!

Click image for larger version  Name:	finish.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	355713

I have absolutely no regrets. It definitely cost more time and money than I had hoped but it was worth it. It's not much of a garage anymore but I do have a snowblower and mower hidden to either side of the enclosure (a non-negotiable for my wife). I hope someone finds this helpful. Here are some details...

Equipment: Uneekor Eye XO w/ Refine software, Uneekor Swing Optix cameras, Optoma Gt1090HDR projector, CCE hitting mat and 5/8" putting mat. I upgraded my computer with an Intel 11400 i5, 32gb of ram, and an Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU.

Impact screen: Westcoast Netting PR-40 in 4:3 format. I went with this because I was concerned about noise and I have no regrets. It's kind of like a foam material and is pretty dang quiet. Enclosure is about 130x100x36", pulled 15" off the wall. Building the enclosure was pretty miserable and my fingers bled quite a bit. Tee is about 8.5' from the screen.
    Attached Files

That looks great! Do you live close to Massachusetts? I will be doing something similar to my 18x11 garage with 7 ft wall height. I will be removing the roof on the 14940's detached garage as it is old with many layers of shingles and moss and such. I want to then raise the 7 ft wall height to 10 ft and rebuild the roof. I will need to keep garage door function and also some storage on shelves on the side. I probably will build an addition behind existing garage to store some stuff. I will need to insulate it (do rodents eat insulation) and level the floor or at least make it much nicer as it is pitted. Already have plenty of electricity.

Comment

• rangemaster
      rangemaster commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya, I actually live in Newburyport MA

rangemaster - wow! Love it, you did a great job, especially hiding the snowblower/mower! Fantastic work. How long did the whole job take, and do you have a link to those 'spring clamps' you talk about from Home Depot?

Rlefig - hah.... rodents don't like any insulation that I know of, but they may like that pink stuff? More than iso-foam? I used 1.5" iso-foam in my walls, mostly because it has zero smell, and high R-value. Sounds like a nice big project. I'm almost wrapping mine up, at this point hung up on heat, can't get enough into the building

Comment

• rangemaster
      rangemaster commented
      Editing a comment
      It took around 6 weeks start to finish. I worked on it for probably 2 hours a night and 10 hours each weekend. It was a lot more work than I had planned.

Here are the spring clamps I used https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-2-...302755764-_-N&

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      rangemaster - wow, I know, a lot of work, you did a great job! If you're like me, it gets harder and harder, the closer you are to finishing I'm almost there... weather holding me back as I can't get enough heat in the space right now!

Thanks for spring clamps link, 180 in stock at my local HD, I'll be buying several of those.

Great job! Everything turned out awesome! Now to start playing nonstop

Comment

Looks Fantastic.

Comment

How accurate is the Eye XO at 8.5ft hitting distance?

Comment

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you asking about height or distance from the ball to screen?

• rangemaster
          rangemaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven’t second guessed a single shot yet. A few missed reads but I haven’t seen any inaccuracy yet.

Looks great. Quick question - did you put any kind of vapor barrier or what have you between the concrete and the wood?

Comment

• rangemaster
          rangemaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t. A builder friend said it wasn’t necessary and if it ever became a problem, it would be simple enough to get one under the subfloor after the fact

preludesam You said that the tee was about 8.5feet from the screen. I though Eye XO had to be atleast 10 feet. Maybe that is just because of their "Safety purposes" they show on their website? Didn't know how much room was needed to get accurate reads on the ball.

Comment

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          Rangemaster is correct, it's just for safety purposes.

• Brettster
          Brettster commented
          Editing a comment
          rangemaster and preludesam , regarding the 3.5' in front of tee requirement for the Eye XO. Does it have to be at least 10' in height above the hitting area? Also, is there a range 3.5' - 4.5' for example if you moved your teeing area back over time, or to different spots where Eye XO could still read the ball?

Is that area the same as the overall hitting area and how big is that? Is it 18"x18" square, or more of a hitting area/strip like space (maybe 12"wide x 18" long)? Just wondering what the exact area would be for installing the hitting area - and how you would know before hand, if you had to cut your hitting area out before mounting your Eye XO?

• rangemaster
          rangemaster commented
          Editing a comment
          It needs to be mounted between 9’-10’ above the hitting area. It needs to be mounted pretty precisely from front to back and side to side, not within some liberal range. And if your hitting area shifts, you’d need to shift the unit on the ceiling accordingly (you can’t just aim it in a different spot or anything like that). The hitting area is about 12x18”. I basically put my hitting mat where I wanted it and then determined the placement of the eye xo to put the tee centered in the unit’s camera. The software will show you where it’s hitting area is so it’s a bit of trial and error to get the unit mounted in the perfect spot.

how far is your projector from your screen? just ordered same projector and have similar size screen.

Comment

• rangemaster
          rangemaster commented
          Editing a comment
          8.5’. Works well but be sure to not make the enclosure too deep or your club may hit it. Mine is 36” deep or so.

Great set up, do you mind sharing what cables you utilized for the Swing Optix cameras. Looking to purchase a few. My first USB 3.0 ext cables did not work.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Working...
          X