What ceiling padding/material above the screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ceiling padding/material above the screen

I've been through a few renditions of the ceiling area above the screen where a lot of 60 degree wedges hit. But I get plenty of driver shot get sky'ed and hit there as well. I started with 1/4" plywood covered with 2" acoustical foam. This really did nothing and sounds like I am hitting the plywood with nothing on it. I then added a moving blanket along with the foam. To my surprise, I am getting multiple holes through the moving blanket and making a mess each time a hole goes through it.

Can anyone recommend a fabric that will take a beating and work for this purpose? My thought is to place whatever is recommended over the top (really under) the

foam and moving blanket. The size of this area is 10.5' long and 4.5' wide.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Could you get a section of screen (maybe an old remnant that cannot be used as a screen anymore) and mount that tightly below the foam? Screen material will do what the blanket is failing to do

Comment

GoldenSim has a great idea, you'll probably need to figure out how to wrap it with some tension on the material? You might also try a heavy canvas tarp, maybe find one at a military surplus store or a place like Harbor Freight. Double it up and you'd be good to go, probably wouldn't need any tension on it. I've got 1'x4' sections of 3# Memory Foam, https://www.foambymail.com/ painted black mounted on the ceiling near the screen for the same reason. Used 3M spray adhesive to put them up there. If you use the right stuff they can be removed without too big of a mess.

Comment

Hi Handicaper

I highly recommend you use Command Cloth (from Chicago Canvas). It's not the cheapest, but it is the most durable and heaviest fabric that you can find nowhere else (I've looked).

Here's where you buy it - get the big piece (9'x12' or 9'x15'):

Here's where you can see in this post where I am hanging mine. I did not use anything behind/inside of it, except for a little Gutter Foam (pick up at Home Depot) up top hanging inside of one of my baffles:
        ​​​Hi Everyone, I'm starting this post as a way to keep myself accountable. The tasks are huge, but not insurmountable as I'm having to do all my build work by myself. Contractors are either non-existent in this post-pandemic marketplace, or they have so much work they are 3 months out! I'll be posting up here as I make

Good luck,
        -Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
          Hi Handicaper

I highly recommend you use Command Cloth (from Chicago Canvas). It's not the cheapest, but it is the most durable and heaviest fabric that you can find nowhere else (I've looked).

Here's where you buy it - get the big piece (9'x12' or 9'x15'):

Here's where you can see in this post where I am hanging mine. I did not use anything behind/inside of it, except for a little Gutter Foam (pick up at Home Depot) up top hanging inside of one of my baffles:
          ​​​Hi Everyone, I'm starting this post as a way to keep myself accountable. The tasks are huge, but not insurmountable as I'm having to do all my build work by myself. Contractors are either non-existent in this post-pandemic marketplace, or they have so much work they are 3 months out! I'll be posting up here as I make

Good luck,
          -Brett
          Thanks, I just ordered some the commando cloth. Wish me luck!😁

Comment

Working...
          X