Fold-Up Garage Sim with Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold-Up Garage Sim with Pics

I thought I would add my garage simulator to the site to help anybody else with ideas and to help them with their addiction!! This website and the people on here have been invaluable for me and have provided great insight and ideas.

I have a three stall garage in MN with 9.5 ft ceilings. I need to be able to use the space for other stuff at times too (Harley parking in summer, etc). So I built a simulator that folds up to the ceiling and allows the use of the third stall garage door.

The frame is built out of 1" metal conduit with corners from tarps.com. The impact screen wraps around the backside of the frame and attaches to the front conduit with tarp clips and bungee (4 per side). Nothing behind it and it works great, ball comes right back to my feet on most shots. The conduit has pipe foam around it to reduce sharp edges and deaden any mishits.

It hangs from the ceiling with flexible hangers I purchased at Home Depot that allow it to raise up enough for the back edge to clear the ground when pivoting. I hung black automotive carpet on the inside of the frame up to the impact screen. I purchased the carpet at Menards. Comes in 6 foot widths which worked out perfect and looks great. $.50 a sq ft and super strong.

Purchased a BenQ short-throw projector on Craigslist.

I went with Optishot to get started and really like it after I got my driver taped and working better, but I'm already planning on upgrading to Skytrak next fall. I purchased a hitting mat online and cut slots for the optishot sensor and placed it on 3/4 plywood to make it level.

as you can tell from the pictures, I started finishing the walls in my garage, but now all I ever want to do is play golf out there! It was -15 in MN last week and I was golfing in Hawaii in my garage with some buddies and a cold beer. Well worth it!!!
    Last edited by PunchoutPro; 01-25-2017, 05:15 PM.

Just a few updated pics. Added foam floor panels around the sides and top of frame. Works better than the pipe wrap and have had zero bad rebounds! Also upgraded to SkyTrak and TGC and love it. Added some halogen track lighting for the hitting area with deflectors that block any light that shines towards the screen. Nice bright image on the screen! Plus finally finished the walls and ceiling
    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the upgrade, this setup is a pretty ideal for a garage. Getting it out of the way seems manageable and you've got a great area to hit from or park in.

Comment

Very nice setup. I plan on doing something similar in the fall. I just moved into my new house in Andover Mn so Im guessing Im not that far from you.

Comment

Just updated the projector to a Benq TH671st. Much brighter than my original 720p and twice as many pixels so a much clearer image. (Pics don't do it justice)

For those looking, I purchased a refurbished one from Benq Direct. Found an online coupon 20% off and was just over $500 out the door. Full disclosure, the refurbished one showed up and wouldn't turn on. They have a 1 year warranty. Sent it back and they sent me a new one. Took a few weeks though. Happy sim golfing and bring on TGC 2019! Click image for larger version  Name:	20181201_115245.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	172411 Click image for larger version  Name:	20181201_115204.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	172412

Comment

Excellent setup! I really like your idea using the straps on the pivot. I'm stealing that idea, so thanks!

Comment

Looking to mirror this setup, really great post here with valuable information.

I am curious to know how the impact screen is secured at the bottom. If it’s only attached at the top, is there any movement of the unit while hitting? Or does the weight of of the unit keep it stationary?

Comment

• PunchoutPro
                PunchoutPro commented
                Editing a comment
                It just rest on the ground and the weight of the unit keeps it in place. I have the screen attached to the front EMT around all four sides. I keep it pretty tight because I like the better picture without any waves in it. The ball bounces back to my feet. You can play around with how tight or loose you like it, or add some dampening material behind it.

Do you think this setup would work with just one square, rather than the “box” setup you’ve created?

When I say one square, I mean would it be functional without the second box of EMT creating the 12” space between the two? Would it be supportive enough without?
              Last edited by Ac18; 03-07-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• PunchoutPro
                PunchoutPro commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah. There are lots of examples on here where people have made a picture frame set-up. The reason I used the box was so I could use the front frame as the point to anchor and tension the bungees. I was concerned with stray shots bouncing around my garage. With the box frame and the side material, there is no chance for a ball to miss the screen and sneak out a corner.

If you used just the single frame, you may have to anchor the bottom or weigh it down somehow. Keep looking on this site, I know I have seen a lot like that.

Just a FYI update on my experience with impact screens. I purchased the Supertex screen originally and got over two years out of it. For my second screen I purchased the Carl's preferred and it only lasted about 11 months. Granted my clubhead speed has increased significantly after hitting many thousands of shots, but I might go back to the Supertex. Seems to have less bleedthrough from the projector image too.

Comment

Purchased a new house with a detached garage! Upgraded the Sim room. Going to be adding turf and putting cups soon!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X