Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @ArborMan (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 1 2020 SPRING TOUR - Sony Open in Hawaii!

Join this weeks TGC 1 2020 SPRING TOUR - The American Express with 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer) Saturday : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...erican-express
See more
See less

New England - 1st Time Poster, Long-Tim Lurker - My Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England - 1st Time Poster, Long-Tim Lurker - My Setup

Hello All. I've been using this forum as a very much needed reference guide through my build.
    As such, I've decided it was time to give back, and to also pay homage to all the great guys and gals that have made their opinions and ideas available to all.
    So many thanks to anyone that may have contributed in any small way.

This is my 2nd full winter with the setup.
    What I've learned is it really does take a lot of effort to go the cost-savings route.
    You really learn to appreciate why guys that do it for a living can command the bucks they do get.

Let me preface the setup by saying it was designed for minimal footprint in a studio apartment (24' x 19'). It takes up better than half of it.
    The enclosure is butted against the wall and is backed by (2) 2" queen-size memory foam mattress pads.
    Screen sits 1' from back of enclosure.
    Projector (lense) is 4.5' from screen.
    Tee spot is 8' from screen.

Launch Monitor: Skytrak - $1600

PC: Dell Alienware X51 running GTX1060. - $1000

Software: TGC 2019 and Creative Golf 3D 2.5 (both full licenses) - $1400

Enclosure: Allsport MiniBay custom sized 4.5' x 9.5' x 8' with their projector floor box. - $1950

Projector: Optoma EH-460ST (runs at 1920 x 1200 resolution) - $900 (see note below if considering this for floor box use)

Flooring: Fiberbuilt hitting mat and random mats that were laying around for shot dampening. - $90

Total - Just under $7K

So, some casual observations having been there and done that.
    Was it worth it? Heck yeah! I have just as much fun on the sim as I do at a course. It doesn't take the place of playing on a real course but better prepares you.
    I just completed my 3rd season of play and the sim has helped tremendously with shot consistency. I've broken triple digits a couple of times and even had multiple sides of 45!

I've been using Almost Golf Point3 balls for majority of shots (3W-PW) Really sucks you can't buy these anymore.
    For pitching and chipping, Callaway HX foam balls.
    For driving, craftstore 1.5" styrofoam balls. I wouldnt have believed it myself, but they're pretty accurate.
    For real balls, Kirkland signature. Don't hit a lot of them to keep the noise and screen-wear minimal.
    After probably 3000 shots (wild guess), the screen and fiberbuilt still look new.

Other custom things I've done was add pool noodle to the entire front perimeter (under the canvas wrap) to dampen the occasional duff.
    The rear screen support bar was covered with studio acoustic foam corner pieces (1-foot sections glued together) to run entire width. This works better than what they call their 'shot defender'.
    Replaced eyehook style retaining screws of enclosure corner pieces with grub screws (think they were 1/4"-20 x.5") - recessed and makes for a much cleaner install.

Projector would not fit inside of floor box, so I basically lopped off about and 3/4-inch on right side of projector.
    Think that may have voided the warranty. Dimensions of spec sheet were for the footprint - guess not the flared out sides.

People seem real hung up on matching screen dimensions to fill entire screen.
    My enclosure is 4:3 with projected 16:9 image and it has little bearing on the experience.
    If I had the room, I would have gone with a non short-throw projector and as large of a screen as I could.

Last thing I'd like to point out is the difficulty in accommodating left-handed swingers. The room is there, but I can see why alot of people go with other launch monitors to avoid this issue. It's a real deterrent to having southpaws over.

Questions or comments are welcomed.
    Last edited by BusyAir; 01-11-2020, 01:09 AM.

Wow. Very unique set up. Talk about maximizing your space. Very clever all around. Do you ever get complaints from other residents?
    --
    What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcd22 View Post
      Wow. Very unique set up. Talk about maximizing your space. Very clever all around. Do you ever get complaints from other residents?
      Thanks, Mike.
      No, never any complaints - and I've driven real balls well past midnight.
      Let's just say I have a very loud stereo system that leaves the other residents glad its only golf ball strikes they're hearing.
      The place I live in is also a converted mill building that still has businesses operating on the lower floors.

Comment

Projector would not fit inside of floor box, so I basically lopped off about and 3/4-inch on right side of projector.
        Think that may have voided the warranty. Dimensions of spec sheet were for the footprint - guess not the flared out sides.

Thanks Mike for sharing your nice setup. Just about to do mine as well, got a bit worried as I also got the same projector and the allsport enclosure. How were you able to cut a portion off the projector? or was it the enclosure that you had to cut? thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X