Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

{NewB: Chicago } Budget Simulator that translates onto course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {NewB: Chicago } Budget Simulator that translates onto course

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and wanted input on a good simulator that people used and saw a difference when playing on the course. I will be going back to grad school in the fall and time for full rounds will be limited. I want my practice sessions at home to be valuable. I would like to work on short game shots as well as shot shaping.

I currently have an optishot 2 but I honestly think it's a joke and will probably sell it soon. I wanted to know what's a used simulator that doesn't require a subscription? I mostly want to use the driving range. I'd wouldn't mind a Skytrak but it doesn't give club data. Also, used prices are outrageous right now. Looked at the protee but would have to buy a new computer to run it. Would it run on a mini pc? What would work best with foam balls?

I've been looking at the Skytrak due to budget, accuracy, and space required. Sounds like the Mevo+ could be an option for you, but requires more space and supposedly isn't as accurate indoor. Lastly, I just became aware of a new sim coming out soon by Full Swing that could be worth checking out.

Comment

Foam balls make it a little harder because the more accurate systems (Skytrak and up) measure actual ball characteristics. I have found based on a recommendation, though, the Point Five balls work pretty well with Skytrak.

I had Optishot. Thought it was actually very good for the price but I wanted more.

Then I got R-Motion (which I like but they’ve discontinued).

Now I have Skytrak.

In retrospect I would just have gotten Skytrak off the bat. I’m very happy with it. I continue to use R-Motion for some club data as well, though I’m not that into club data.
      Last edited by RAH5; 01-06-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seth3a View Post
        I've been looking at the Skytrak due to budget, accuracy, and space required. Sounds like the Mevo+ could be an option for you, but requires more space and supposedly isn't as accurate indoor. Lastly, I just became aware of a new sim coming out soon by Full Swing that could be worth checking out.
        Thanks so much. That is EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! It will be ready for next winter! I reserved two. One for me and one for when they become unavailable...lol! I will keep the optishot for now and use that unit once it comes in.

Last edited by In_The_Woods; 01-06-2021, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Seth3a
          Seth3a commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck yea - happy to help!

Originally posted by RAH5 View Post
        Foam balls make it a little harder because the more accurate systems (Skytrak and up) measure actual ball characteristics. I have found based on a recommendation, though, the Point Five balls work pretty well with Skytrak.

I had Optishot. Thought it was actually very good for the price but I wanted more.

Then I got R-Motion (which I like but they’ve discontinued).

Now I have Skytrak.

In retrospect I would just have gotten Skytrak off the bat. I’m very happy with it. I continue to use R-Motion for some club data as well, though I’m not that into club data.

Thanks for the note on the Point FIVE balls I will look into it. I was looking at the ES SPORTS PLUS unit too but there is little to no review on the units. The ES16 didn't get good reviews either. I am a true believer of just getting what you want. I have learned through buying cars that you are never happy with second best....my wife also hates hearing me complain about it too! lol

Comment

• RAH5
          RAH5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha. I’m exactly the same. I generally either get what I really want or I get nothing.

Point Fives may even fly a little farther than normal given some limited spin but I’ve tested them against real balls and they work very well. I use a real ball for chipping/putting.

Oh, also you can finance the Skytrak at no interest (or at least that was true in November when I bought it).

I am new also. Your situation is just like mine. I have Opticshot2 also. Was fun, picked up 30 yards on my drives, but that is about it. Hope to sell it also. I want to upgrade just not sure what upgrade to choose. I will be watching.

Comment

I've had a GC2 and simulator for about 90 days. Couldn't imagine trying to get better at golf without one now. I mainly rely on ball sidespin and carry distance data to evaluate swing changes and swing performance. My advice is make sure you get a launch monitor you can rely on and ability to take full swings. Having TGC2019 and projector/screen is when the fun starts. Great to test shots on a course. I don't like to hit more than ~75 full swings on the range, then prefer to go test my skills on a course either that the PGA Tour is playing that week or a local course I am familiar with. Awesome that TGC has this available.

Comment

I bought an Optishot 2 hoping to improve my game and very quickly realized it was not going to really work. I will say that it beats nothing but I have the Mevo+ and that thing has helped me get better. It gives me enough data to give me feedback on things I am working on. This unit definitely helps you improve your game. I will say that the initial setup was more than I wanted to spend. The truth is most people will spend at least 5k getting everything setup. A lot of people are probably closer to 10. It's a bit of money but if you really want to get better its an investment.

Comment

Working...
            X