Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @beau lester (NET) and @Marc Andre (GROSS) winning the TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - The Northern Trust !

Join this weeks TGC 2019 SUMMER TOUR - BMW Championship with 2 rounds at TPC @ Boston (Pro Tee) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...w-championship
See more
See less

Converging stereo , short chips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converging stereo , short chips

I did a short little video of my new converging stereo set up. This time we are looking at short chips. The PX5 measures club data and ball data. However spin is calculated. How well is spin calculated? I would have to do this with a GC2 side by side to answer that. I owned a GC2 for close to a year. I found that after thousands of practice shots, I can control my spin to some degree. The fiberbuilt mat is also a big help. You can get under the ball just like some fluffy rough. IRL those flop shots would not be attempted without an easy lie. I really wish that I could get through one video without a skull shot. BTW, I do welcome anyone with a GC2 to come over and do a side by side test....I have beer.

The GSA seems very accurate for putting and chipping indeed...however at 150 yards for example, can you hit a ball that starts way to the right and comes back towards the middle (A pull slice in your case)...and then, can you hit a ball that starts way right and goes more right (A pull hook)? Imo, that is the problem if that can't be measured to improve the rest of your game with the GSA system. You may the only person I know that has had a GC2 and sold it to keep another kind of simulator haha

Comment

• R3dlineR6
      R3dlineR6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your assessment of the GC2 and side spin axis, but only on higher launch angles...my findings is that distance doesn't really matter. I've owned it for over 1 year and notice that any high lofted shot will show too much left spin (Left for me since I'm a righty). I will take it outside this summer in order to test it extensively. About the PX5, I'm sure it does a good job calculating spin. It would be interesting for your next video that you aim way right or way left with your set up (Not in game) and try to work the ball both ways from there just to see how it performs. My findings when using systems like GSA is that it struggles to read these (I could be wrong though...it's been a long time since I tried one). I also agree that all launch monitors have their flaws. The only close to perfect would be the track man for outside IMO. However, after doing a lot of research (Especially GC2 vs Trackman outside) I can trust the GC2 as a great tool to improve my game. Again, I just need to be careful about the high lofted shots, or higher launches and accept that the ball will go left even it doesn't in real life. It could be an indoor thing though...will test it this summer like I said.

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      It all depends on how the PX5 is set up. Spin has almost and infinite adjustment per club. When I first started with GSA, You set your spin amount and that was it.... It turned out that slow shots had too much spin and fast low LA shots didn't have enough. Since then, GSA has added spin adjust per club. That was a game changer... no pun intended. Now I can have my short game be accurate with sacrificing something else. Within the last year they have added at home calibration. This will ensure proper speeds and angles which is needed as every enclosure is different. So far angles are perfect. Speeds seem really good but I haven't tested them yet. After calibration, my speeds seem really close to what the GC2 was giving me.

I am not ragging on the GC2. It is considered the sim to which all other sims are measured. I will probably buy another one someday. I loved taking it to the range. It is a fantastic game improvement device.

How far would you consider "way right"? I was somewhat uncomfortable even going 5 degrees. My system can read up to 15 degrees off center. Club path can be over 15 degrees and still read. I can see once you try to get really creative... the PX5 will probably struggle. Or that could be me struggling. I had a golf pro hit on my system. He said it picked up the shots that someone of my skill level needs..... not sure if that was an insult... He was the one that suggested that I shut the game off and just swing over the sensors and watch the club data numbers. It is surprizing to see what little change can mean a few degrees on the club face or path. Ideally I would add a spin camera to my setup.... but they are over $2500 and I am not sure that it is needed. One thing that you have to be careful of with the PX5 is too much shaft lean could mess up the face angle as it could pick up the shaft first. The single club tracking camera from GSA doesn't have that problem. The mat is not needed with this camera. One thing with the GSA system. It needs to be set up properly. If people miss steps you will not get accurate results. I was pretty happy when I made a video of the PX5 and the GC2 measuring the same ball. Ball flight and distance was mostly similar. Inside of 60 yards it was scary close. Since then I had to add a little more spin to the PX5 to match what the GC2 was reading.
      Over all I am pretty happy with my system. I didn't even know that the GC2 was an option when I bought this sim.

• GripItAndRipIt
      GripItAndRipIt commented
      Editing a comment
      R3dline- I placed myself in a bad position off the tee a few rounds ago with a tree blocking my shot to the hole. With the PX5 set up properly, I was able to “Bubba Watson” it and aim way right and bring it back towards center line and land in fairway with a long iron. I would say I put at least 20 yards of hook into it.
      I also attempted one of these shots another round and knew I left the clubface too open and went sailing straight well offline.
      So I would answer yes, you can move the ball. BUT yes you need to have your system set up and calibrated properly.

I originally bought the GC2 for the new house.... the deal fell through I had them both for sale under pressure of the wife. I would have sold the PX5 if I had a decent offer. Club data is very accurate as well. I can hook the ball just like IRL and fade and draw as well. The only problem that I have ever had was that too much shaft lean could affect the club face angle. GSA users with the club cam don't have this issue. When I get fatigued, I start to hook, just like IRL.

Comment

Hey guys, thougth I would chime in here. I've certainly leveraged this site quite a bit myself. I also somewhat recently purchased a GSA PX5 setup, which was actually a CX4 setup (long story...) but point is by going the PX5 route Martin @ GSA was able to configure my Club Tracking Cam to use for actual measured Ball Spin (Martin refers to as BCam Light), side spin is still calculated via the Mat. Unfortunately I'm not quite setup yet, it's been a chore, mostly due to issues with my sim room setup where I converted 1 bay of my garage to an enclosed Sim room. I've setup for the converging stereo, have the cams all setup (except spin) and built a nice calibration tool to help make this simple and repeatable. Will be calibrating this weekend. Once PX5 Converging is done and tested, I will add the BCam for spin and provide some feedback on all of that hopefully in a couple of weeks or less. With the BCam, Martin tells me system should be able to pick up all shots types with very high level of accuracy without having to make adjustments based off real life results, will see...

Comment

• keither5150
        keither5150 commented
        Editing a comment
        I will be interested in seeing how well the spin camera performs.

• Fairways IGC
        Fairways IGC commented
        Editing a comment
        I have have been considering adding a bcam to my system. Currently, using a ccam color. How were you able to convert the ccam to measure ball spin? do you know why it can measure spin rate but not axis? Do you need to use the special marked balls?

I believe the cameras are actually somewhat interchangable, however in the setup you assign the CTS cam to be the BCam,
      I believe it's may actually bey ball spin cam or similar in the setup page. Martin did add a trigger sensor to my PX2 that sits in fron of the tee. I believe the BCAM comes with two cams, one for spin, one for axis. so one cam can only measure ball spin. I plan to use Strata Range balls which have 2 clear black stripes on them, havent tested yet but should work.

Comment

• Fairways IGC
        Fairways IGC commented
        Editing a comment
        what version of the control panel are you using? can you send screen shots of the bcam lite in action?

• MyEaglePutt
        MyEaglePutt commented
        Editing a comment
        The latest as of 2 weeks ago. last time I was online, since though I had some issues with bounce back on my screen so been working on a design with memory foam that would diffuse it... Have that worked out now so just need to get the screen back in place. once I do and get the bcam light setup will post, probably 1-2 weeks.
    Working...
    X