Re-grip using an air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-grip using an air compressor

I just learned about this and tried it today. Wow its easy. No more solvent or cutting off old grips. You use normal masking tape instead of double sided tape.

Here is a demo, highly recommended.

video, delen, cameratelefoon, videotelefoon, gratis, uploaden

I have tried this, I had one grip that blew up, (no harm but scary) and had part of the set after awhile the grips started twisting.

Comment

I actually just bought an adapter last week for doing this. When I tried to blow off the old grips they got a huge bubble where your left hand would sit (for a right handed golfer) but the tape farther down the grip wouldn't separate from the grip. I ended up cutting the grips off because I was afraid one would explode. I think if you weren't replacing grips that had been put on with solvent and grip tape, you would have better luck. I also saw where you can buy a tube to slide over the grip before blowing air into it as a safety shield, but if the grip blew up big enough to contact the tube I would think it would be too stretched out to use again.

Comment

There is a reason club manufacturers use adhesive tape. In general blowing on grips just using masking tape will sometimes result in the grips slipping. You have to realize that :

a. all grips do not have the same design I.D.and there is really no tolerance spec.

b. All shafts do not have the same butt O.D. or taper in the butt area.

For those two reasons, plus the varying amount of torque applied between grip and shaft butt, not using any adhesive tape is a crap shoot. If you wan to blow grips on then use adhesive tape and something like Bramptons grip solvent.

If you want to reuse a grip then a little mineral based solvent and a pry bar made for the job can usually easily get the grips off without stretching them an appreciable amount. Blowing off grips most always results in stretching the grip to an unusable state. Using a lexan tube just keeps the grip from blowing up. It can't keep the stretching uniform and tolerable since the grip usually tapers so the distance to the tube ID isn't uniform all the way down the grip.

If you insist on using just masking tape then be sure to carefully align the grip graphics to something on the club head so you can tell if the grip start to slip.

They usually don't just come completely loose but rotate slightly with each swing as you wonder why your formerly straight shots are now crooked. Been there done that and now always use double sided tape.

Comment

I did this with a bicycle pump to remove old grips.
          Wrap a towel round the grip before pumping, as it prevents it expanding too much. It stops it looking like a snake that’s just eaten a goat!!

I then fitted my new ones with tape / solvent though.

Comment

Originally posted by BGCurtis2nd View Post
            I have tried this, I had one grip that blew up, (no harm but scary) and had part of the set after awhile the grips started twisting.
            I used a short section of PVC tubing to put over the old grips to remove them. Still only got 2 out of 6 of the solvent + double sided tape grips to come off with air. Cut the rest.

I will watch for twisting, and will increase the tape layers if I see any. Hitting just a few shots with each club and they all seemed solid, but maybe over time they will lose traction.

Comment

Been doing this for years without issue. Forget about trying to use it on grips that have been put on with solvent and double sided tape, you're more than likely not going to blow those off without damaging them and using a grip remover tool takes a lot of patience to remove it slowly without damaging it. When installing using air, with masking or blue painters tape, you need more layers as this tape is thinner than double sided tape. When put on correctly you can use that grip over and over again and makes changing in the future a breeze and you don't have to wait for them to dry. I also bought the pure installer and I just change all of my kids grips last night. Tool is better than the nozzle I've been using for so long.

Comment

I also been doing this for a few years with no issues, also have the pure installer nozzle and it's the key to making it easy. I also cut off glued on grips.

Comment

I cut off the glued grips, I just use a nozzle. Wouldn't mind a piece of PVC though. I should look in the garage and see if I have any

Comment

Working...
                  X