Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Length Irons

Any one else here using them?
    Last edited by htdumps; 12-10-2018, 03:42 AM.

Those are some nice looking sticks.

Comment

Ok my first impression is WOWWWWWW...these irons are fantastic. From the 2/3 iron through the GW are so easy to hit it's amazing.
      the 2/3 iron is 7 iron length at 19.5 degrees. I was hitting it dead straight about 205 carry every single time. The GW and PW, although weird being so long, went so straight and the spin was insanely high, like 10500 for the GW and 9500 for the PW which I never get unless I use a 56 wedge basically.

the GW is 50 degrees in this set.
      I played 2 rounds of this weeks tourney with them after a few warm up swings and shot 3 over first round then 6 under the second. I'm not a great player by any means, I shoot at best 83 outdoors but these irons go straight and pretty long.

my only issue so far is the gapping between the 9 and 8 irons. 8 iron was flying around 155 while I couldn't get the 9 over about 135 and it flew so high with alot of spin. The 7 went 165, 6 iron 177,5 iron about 188, Utility about 200-205 carry... PW 125 and GW about 112..

So I have about a 20 yard gap between the 8 and 9. I hit the 8 about 145 going very easy but I dont like taking speed off because I feel like I'm gonna shank it every time.

So far worth every penny. Stinks that I can't play outside with them because I'd like to try the cobra connect as well as seeing how they fly outside.
      Last edited by Jwheels9876; 12-24-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Stingreye
        Stingreye commented
        Editing a comment
        Get the loft checked on the 9,8,7 not unusual to be off.

• Sascha1818
        Sascha1818 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like we got about the same distance, me with lower spin unfortunately. Didn't know they had a gap and utility the same length as well. The utility sounds interesting because you hit it my 3 hybrid distance.

• Jwheels9876
        Jwheels9876 commented
        Editing a comment
        the utility iron is fantastic. I am hitting it dead straight, a little draw perhaps but carry of around 205 and roll out up to 215 or a tad more. I replaced my hybrid which i was all over the place with. The GW I am hitting well also, and the spin, for a 50 degree club is hitting 11k at times which I have only got with like a 56 or 60 degree wedge.
        I am sticking with them one season at least outdoors.

I got mine. Wow!! I am 20 yards more on every club!! I used to avg. 180 on the 5 iron. I was hitting it 200 plus easy with these new clubs. Way to go Cobra. Can’t wait to try these outside in the spring.
      GC2 Eastern Time Zone, USA

Comment

• Jwheels9876
        Jwheels9876 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah their 5 iron is like 23 loft which is usually around a 4 iron. I've noticed the same thing up through the 8 iron then I'm shorter than my other clubs.
        They are pretty sweet clubs though! I think if more people gave them a shot, they'd really like that it's so easy to hit the lower lofted clubs straight and far.
        Now I just need a driver that's 36 inches lol.

Just wanted to check back in here and see how you guys are liking the single length irons after a little while?
      I'm enjoying mine, I finally am hitting the ball great distances with a bit of a swing change but I'm over drawing them a little bit which is not the irons fault of course but mine. I'll get that straightened out.

My distances look like this now after not being able to hit the 9 iron 130 when I first got them.

Gw: 116
      PW: 128
      9: 143
      8: 155
      7:168
      6:182
      5:195
      Adjustable 2/3 iron : 208

that's just from hitting 10 shots with each and tossing the best and worst from each 10. I'm still sticking with my 52-56-60 Vokey Sm7 wedges which I hit 105-90-75 range give or take a couple yards either way. Haven't had the chance to swing a one length SW or LW but not opposed to it if they yield the same results as the rest.

haven't hit outdoors because I'm in the northeast, so who knows what happens when I finally do but I feel confident with the one swing/one stance setup now so I'm hoping for the best.
      Last edited by Jwheels9876; 02-03-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Jwheels9876
        Jwheels9876 commented
        Editing a comment
        my clubs have the cobra conect built into the grips so I am not sure if I can change them out but retain the shot tracking device in the new ones. I don't think so.

• mmlincon
        mmlincon commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that does pose a challenge. Maybe you can use something to wrap the outside of the grip and test to see if it makes a difference. You might be able to get the grips off and not destroy them but it's difficult. It wouldn't be worth it unless you knew it helped.

• DejaVu
        DejaVu commented
        Editing a comment
        since you guys mentioned grips here....the first thing I did was cut off my grips. 😂 Not because I didn't like them but because I wanted a different brand and size of grips. I have a Galaxy watch and the TaylorMade my round pro app. Much nicer than the connect sensors imo.

Been playing single lengths for about a year and a half. I love the longer PW and GW and my accuracy inside of 120 yards has improved some (I was already pretty good in this area). My biggest improvement has been with 1/2 - 3/4 swing PW shots of 60-85 yards. At this distance I was always fumbling between wedges, and while I can hit all the various wedge shots, this distance I just never got comfortable with. I always struggled with what wedge and how much exactly to take off of it. Now I just grab the PW and know that I can take off as much as I want and hit a clean shot bouncing it where I want. It's been the biggest breakthrough in my game that I've made in a while, even though it seems small. I carry a regular length 54 and 58 degree wedges as well.

One thing that I struggled with when I made the switch, was swinging the shorter "long" irons with a smooth and grooved tempo. Swinging a short 5 iron and expecting it to go 190+ yards just doesn't seem to make sense in my brain when standing over the ball. Unconsciously, and even mentally fighting the urge, my mind was forcing me to swing too hard, causing my dreaded miss to the left. I've really had to teach myself to trust the equipment, make a smooth pass, and get the desired and expected results. It probably took a solid 6-9 months for me to work through this challenge. While I seem to have gotten through it, I still dread a 190 yard par 3 tee-box with water on the left.

I'm a 7 HCP if that matters to anyone.

Comment

• Jwheels9876
        Jwheels9876 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've taken quite well to the low irons. I'm hitting the driving iron and 5 iron pretty good. I know what you're saying though about the mental aspect. I used to really go after the ball with a regular length 5 or 4 iron, now I just make sure I try to swing the same every time. I do miss left also with the 2/3 iron when I over swing it.

I also choke down a good inch on the club like I did with my regular lengths so the clubs feel like basically an 8 iron to me now

This is definitely an interesting concept. The 3, 4, and 5 iron seem to be the harder clubs to hit because they are longer. So couldn't you just have your 3, 4, 5 and 6 iron cut to the length of your 7 iron. Then your lower lofted clubs will be to the length of your easy to hit 7 iron. But then your wedges, 9 and 8 iron are normal length "uncut", which are already easier to hit.

I might get a used Titleist AP2 3 or 4 iron off ebay and cut it to try out and test. I hesitate to cut my current nice AP2s.

Comment

• DejaVu
        DejaVu commented
        Editing a comment
        I was about to do this also but the friend who talked me into one length irons showed me their website where they weight the low irons differently to to compensate for the shorter clubs.

Originally posted by Mike80 View Post
      This is definitely an interesting concept. The 3, 4, and 5 iron seem to be the harder clubs to hit because they are longer. So couldn't you just have your 3, 4, 5 and 6 iron cut to the length of your 7 iron. Then your lower lofted clubs will be to the length of your easy to hit 7 iron. But then your wedges, 9 and 8 iron are normal length "uncut", which are already easier to hit.

I might get a used Titleist AP2 3 or 4 iron off ebay and cut it to try out and test. I hesitate to cut my current nice AP2s.
      It doesn't work like that. Single length irons aren't simply irons with shorter or cut down shafts. The loft, lie, weight, etc......are all different than traditional length irons to make it work.

Comment

• Mike80
        Mike80 commented
        Editing a comment
        DFDubb That makes more sense now. Otherwise I didn't understand the benefit of cutting down your longer irons because you would lose distance. But if they are changing loft and lie then that makes sense on how they make it work. I'm still traditional and will stick with my standard clubs. I don't think I would be a fan of having my wedges longer. But it's still an interesting concept and hearing everyone's experience with them.

Originally posted by DFDubb View Post
      It doesn't work like that. Single length irons aren't simply irons with shorter or cut down shafts. The loft, lie, weight, etc......are all different than traditional length irons to make it work.
      True - and that's a very good reason why one really shoujldn't try to convert a standard set to single length. BUT modifications to simply just shorten the longest irons (say the longest two irons in your set) is not that difficult at all. And those struggling with the longer irons really shouldn't have anything longer than a 5 iron anyways - so that allows a single length 7, 6, and 5 irons - or alternatively a single length 6, 5, and 4 irons if someone wants to push it.

But a better option for those that want to keep the shorter short irons is to use smaller increments than the normal 1/2". 3/8" increments between irons instead of 1/2" works extremely well and even gives an MOI matched set (which many think is better than swing weight matching) with standard head weight progressions. And those 1/8" savings add up by the time you get to the longest irons. So if one starts with say a 35.75" PW, they they'd end up with a 4 iron that's a little more than 1" shorter than a 'normal'. And that can make a big difference for many.
      Last edited by StuartG; 02-06-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I bought the Cobra F9 speedback irons set 4-gw plus the 3 hybrid. I cut the grips off and used Winn Dry Tac grips and place with the TaylorMade my round pro app on my Galaxy watch. It's the best golf setup I have ever had and my consistency is becoming consistent. The screenshot is about a half swing if that. I switch to these from my fifteen-year-old decent Dunham's clubs, if there is such a thing, and just comparing 7-iron to 7 iron is night and day. If anybody is interested I could look the seller's info up, but I got them from eBay for almost half the price of new and they may be had one or two slight brush marks on 2 of them which weren't noticeable at all. Great deal, great clubs, and can't wait for a great year of golf once the snow is done here in PA. That's a pic after only a couple rounds with the myroundpro app. I have a standard length sandwich that I use everywhere inside 100. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191212-172828.png
Views:	454
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	231941

Comment

Working...
        X