Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I BOUGHT A NEW DRIVER! Should YOU Get Fitted for a Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I BOUGHT A NEW DRIVER! Should YOU Get Fitted for a Driver?

Well, I Bought a NEW Driver! I can't tell you how many times in the past year people have asked me "Should You Get Fitted for a Driver?" I answered, "I need to fix my swing first!" Well let me tell you I am glad I took the plunge and bought this new TaylorMade Sim2 because wait until you see this numbers. Be sure to read my top 5 best tips for getting fitted for a driver in the description on YouTube.

Nope. Respectfully disagree. Give me a Wal-Mart tennis racket and I can beat people who play every day. Same with a driver. Too much mental clutter gets in the way in golf. Just get any driver, go hit 500 balls a day, and you will eventually hit it straight and be able to rely on yourself in the future.

Comment

• 3on3putt
      3on3putt commented
      Editing a comment
      So if I gave you 3 drivers:

1: A head made in 1994 with a ladies shaft
      2: Bryson's driver that has 5 degrees of loft and a shaft that's stiffer than a metal baseball bat
      3: A properly fit one

.... they would perform all the same for you? That's an interesting take.
      Last edited by 3on3putt; 07-19-2021, 02:30 AM.

3on3putt go watch some Moe Norman videos. Also, that's funny you mentioned that because I have a big Bertha from the 90's with a senior flex shaft as well as a 7.5 deg (-1.5deg) f9 speedback cobra driver with an extra stiff shaft (like bryson) and I can hit fairways all day long with either.

Some say it's not the arrow it's the indian.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 07-20-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• 3on3putt
      3on3putt commented
      Editing a comment
      So you'll hit every single driver ever made the exact same distance with the exact same spin and the exact same launch angle and the exact same trajectory? Listen to yourself.

And why did you bother buying that second driver anyway? They're all the same after all, right?
      Last edited by 3on3putt; 07-21-2021, 12:54 AM.

3on3putt I'm not on this forum to argue. I'm a 6-handicap and understand everything you are saying and more than I think you realize.

Some people end up worrying so much about everything having to be just so precise and perfect that they freeze up over a golf ball with too many swing thoughts.

Can getting fitted for a club help...yes. Is it necessary...no. I have a have a buddy who swears he can't hit his driver because he needs to get fitted for one first (since someone told him that). <<<this is my whole point. Since there isn't any place nearby that does fittings he's out of luck according to him for now.

"The hardest 5 1/2" in golf are between our ears." ~Moe Norman~

Comment

Better players do tend to adapt to equipment changes better than the higher handicappers but when it comes to fitting, there are exceptions to every rule or generalization that you've likely heard. The truth is that there are two extremes. There are some people that can swing anything equally well. But there are also some that if they have a poor fit, they couldn't put a good swing on the club no matter what their skill or how much time they put into improving it. Most ams will fall somewhere in between those two extremes and some specs can be more important than others depending on the sensitivity of the player and how much they depend on the feedback from the club to help them control their swing and even what type of swing flaws or tendencies they might have..

A good fit will never fix swing flaws but they can minimize the adverse consequences of those flaws - and more importantly a bad fit can amplify those adverse consequences. So fitting is really more about avoiding club characteristics that get in the way of their natural swing (no matter how good or bad that swing might be).

The problem with the question is that, how much a fitting might help is really more dependent on how bad a fit the current equipment is than how good a fit the new purchase might be. And that's assuming that it was a good quality fitting and a skilled fitter. Walking into a big box store and demo'ing a bunch of of the shelf options is not a proper fitting. So there is always going to be a gamble because it is possible that people can stumble onto a good fit w/o actually being fit.
      Last edited by StuartG; 07-26-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I agree with 3on3putt , 3 different drivers can perform radically different and I'm proof of this. I had a Titleist 910D2 driver that would regularly spin 3000-5000 RPM with a slice. I had a fitter even put dr. scholl's on the face in case impact was the issue and no, it was dead center each time. I could rarely get the spin down below 3000 unless hit high and on the toe. Bought a Cobra F9 driver and immediately found spin numbers in the low 2000's and a straighter flight. Is it the driver head that gave me the performance improvement? Probably not and more to do with the shaft which is why fitting helps.

Comment

Working...
        X