Anyone switch to graphite shafts recently?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • doublebogey
    Advanced Member
    • May 2015
    • 447

    #31
    Looking for some insights from guys who are using or have switched to graphite shafts. I was fitted w graphite shafts for my irons (thru to PW) years ago, but recently am replacing my old wedges. My PW is 44* so adding new 50* bent to 49* + 54* + 58* wedges. However, these wedges (like my old wedges) are steel shafts (True Temper Dynamic Gold's) w big difference in shaft weights (119-129 grams for the steel shafts vs. 69 grams for the graphite shafts). I swing the steel shaft wedges ok (in fact still swing my old set of Ping G5 steel shaft irons ok as well). Should I be changing my wedge shafts to graphite to match the rest of my clubs? Or do people commonly go w graphite shafts in all clubs but steel shafts in wedges? Thanks.
    Last edited by doublebogey; 03-29-2017, 04:47 AM.

    Comment

    • wbond
      Ultimate Member
      • Oct 2014
      • 3489

      #32
      I switched all my wedges to graphite shafts and love them. I use recoil 95's in my irons up through PW. Then i use Recoil 110 8 iron shaft one flex up in my 50 degree and Recoil 125 8 iron shafts one flex up in my 54 and 58. This gets you a heavier shaft in the wedges similar to steel, more spin and flexes out the same as your irons. You can read up on the other forum about this.

      Originally posted by doublebogey View Post
      Looking for some insights from guys who are using or have switched to graphite shafts. I was fitted w graphite shafts for my irons (thru to PW) years ago, but recently am replacing my old wedges. My PW is 44* so adding new 50* bent to 49* + 54* + 58* wedges. However, these wedges (like my old wedges) are steel shafts (True Temper Dynamic Gold's) w big difference in shaft weights (119-129 grams for the steel shafts vs. 69 grams for the graphite shafts). I swing the steel shaft wedges ok (in fact still swing my old set of Ping G5 steel shaft irons ok as well). Should I be changing my wedge shafts to graphite to match the rest of my clubs? Or do people commonly go w graphite shafts in all clubs but steel shafts in wedges? Thanks.

      Comment

      • keither5150
        Champion Member
        • Aug 2015
        • 1364

        #33
        Wbond...... do you think that graphite offers a better feel or feed back than steel? I switched to graphite last year but still have steel for the wedges.

        Comment

        • doublebogey
          Advanced Member
          • May 2015
          • 447

          #34
          Thanks for the insights wbond. Have read various other forums and I think my problem is the difference in weights between the graphite shafts on my irons thru PW and the True Temper steel shafts on my wedges is too wide (69g vs. 119-129g). But like keither5150, am just wondering "do you think that graphite offers a better feel or feed back than steel (in particular on wedges)?" I am just somehow more used to heavier weighted steel shafts on wedges in particular for short pitches and chips around green.

          Comment

          • wbond
            Ultimate Member
            • Oct 2014
            • 3489

            #35
            I play mostly partial shots on 54 and 58 and mainly full on the 50 degree. I much prefer the feel of graphite, but i don't know if it provides better feedback. I ended up picking up a backup set of wedges that matched mine and they had the spinner shafts and when switching between the two, I preferred the graphite. Although i never liked the spinner anyways. It is definitely a different feel that some may not like.

            Comment

            • tkotts
              Member
              • Nov 2016
              • 63

              #36
              I switched to Aerotech Steelfiber shafts a few months ago after dealing with some wrist/elbow/shoulder issues from hitting on the sim... my god. It's a revelation.

              I get better feel out of every iron /wedge in the bag and in terms of left/right dispersion on shots, I can put a pretty tight grouping out on the range with all my long irons (with my old DG S300's i'd be all over the place). I use i95's on all my irons 3-pw and i125 in my 3 wedges.

              I do get some funny looks from friends/other golfers who see a 32 yr old low handicap player playing with "old man" clubs... but my wrists and elbows are back to where they were last summer when I wasn't hitting off a mat and my scores are lower... see last weeks score They stop talking once the scores are posted.
              Last edited by tkotts; 03-29-2017, 03:18 PM.

              Comment


              • tkotts
                tkotts commented
                Editing a comment
                I should note, that I did add some tungsten weights to the tip of the shaft to bring the swingweights up to d-2 in my irons and d-4 in my wedges, so the overall feel of the club is similar to my steel irons, but the overall weight is down.
            • longhornlove
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 167

              #37
              I just ordered a set of ping G irons and glide wedges with poriject x shafts. I tried about 10 shafts.

              Comment

              • MainStGolf
                Advanced Member
                • Feb 2016
                • 458

                #38
                Play graphite since returning to golf 2.5 years ago. Hands hurt too bad for steel especially if I'm having a bad day pain wise. I've used Pings graphite shafts. I have a set of Cobras with Steelfiber that are really nice as well. Vokeys have the Kuro Kage graphite shafts in them.

                Comment

                • wbond
                  Ultimate Member
                  • Oct 2014
                  • 3489

                  #39
                  I also added tip weights to mine to get desired swingweight
                  Last edited by wbond; 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Boo Radley
                    Advanced Member
                    • Mar 2016
                    • 260

                    #40
                    Originally posted by wbond View Post
                    Recoil. You will never look back. I even replaced all my wedge shafts with Recoil shafts. Get fit and they will be as accurate as anything you've got now and way easier on the joints. You can also look at steelfiber, very good, but a very different feel and different profile. I have both, Steelfiber in a set of Wishon 560's and Recoil in Apex. I prefer the feel of recoil.
                    I second the Recoil shaft.....going on 3 years now

                    Comment

                    • doublebogey
                      Advanced Member
                      • May 2015
                      • 447

                      #41
                      Thanks to all for the inputs. Looks like I should seriously consider putting graphites on my wedges - in fact probably should replace all shafts on my clubs from hybrids to wedges w Recoil shafts of various weights.

                      Comment

                      • wbond
                        Ultimate Member
                        • Oct 2014
                        • 3489

                        #42
                        There are quite a few good graphite iron shafts out there. I've now got a set of miura's with recoil and man does that combo feel great.

                        Comment

                        Working...