Anyone switch to graphite shafts recently?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Boerdoc
    Super Member
    • Aug 2015
    • 627

    #16
    With all my aches and pains, this thread caught my interest. I did not know how much graphite helps. When you play once a week the body adapts. When I play 4-5 times a week, I feel beat up and have to go to the chiropractor because of joint and muscle pain. I ordered some new mizunos with graphites yesterday. I will post about the experience, good or bad.

    Comment

    • Mazenblue
      Senior Member
      • May 2015
      • 107

      #17
      Good for you keither, new tools are the best. I really liked the Speedblades at a Demo Day. I ordered new Callaway 815 hybrids and sent them back, they didn't perform as good as my Taylormade Jet Speeds. Did you get a New Bag? Can't put new irons in an old bag, at least my wife thinks it's a golf rule.

      Comment

      • keither5150
        Champion Member
        • Aug 2015
        • 1364

        #18
        No, my bag is quite new. The only rule that I tell my wife is that you have to buy new balls every round. $499 Cnd. seemed like a good deal for the speedblades. I also tried some Callaways and Taylormade Rsi 2's I liked the callaways better but not $500 better. The RSi2's didn't really feel $500 better either. I actually liked the regular flex shaft compared to the stiff flex which surprised me. I have taken some speed off of my irons to try to increase my accuracy, so there is really no need for a stiff flex. I have no problem squaring up the regular flex irons. Can't wait to try them in Mexico during Easter break.

        Comment

        • doublebogey
          Advanced Member
          • May 2015
          • 447

          #19
          I went w graphite couple of years ago though I still occasionally take out my old steel shaft Pings as I still hit them w more control and accuracy. But if you're late 40's or older, def consider going w graphite - esp someone like me who on top of age have had 2 microscopic surgeries (one on each wrist) + recently couple of cracked ribs. I love golf but not at the risk of requiring any more surgeries =)

          Comment

          • DougieMn
            Advanced Member
            • Nov 2014
            • 272

            #20
            Ya'll got me thinking graphite as well. Since getting the SkyTrak I hit a ton more balls than in the past and hitting off a mat really jars the joints so that doesn't help either-I'm not exactly a spring chicken as well.

            From what I have read it seems as though graphite has made large strides in closing the gap between itself and steel as a preferred shaft.

            This is where I think a good club fitter and facility is a must. I am blessed to live in a state that has some pretty incredible fitters and have gone through one of the fitters program multiple times purchasing equipment in the past.

            I'm looking forward to a new set of sticks this spring and appreciate all the info I gleam from these forums. Thanks guys!

            p.s. Come on SkyTrak-bring on the sims!!!!!!!!



            Comment

            • keither5150
              Champion Member
              • Aug 2015
              • 1364

              #21
              Update on the graphite shafts. Yesterday I played 5 rounds. At 48 years old, I even impressed myself. All 5 rounds were in the 70's and my last 3 rounds were 74,76,74 which were better than my first 2 rounds. I was planning on playing until I was fatigued but I ran out of time. I am not sure if the new clubs improved my game, but I am quite sure that they will improve my health. I would highly recommend Graphite shafts to anyone who is the least bit sore after golf.

              Comment

              • Mazenblue
                Senior Member
                • May 2015
                • 107

                #22
                I put my graphite's in the bag for tomorrow, but I'd need magic wands to shot in the 70s

                Comment

                • DougieMn
                  Advanced Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • 272

                  #23
                  Keither.......what graphite shaft did you opt for? With spring quickly approaching here I need to get to my fitter and start demoing and getting fitted so they can order my new sticks.

                  I'm trying to take a few days off from hitting balls because my elbows are really feeling the pain of pounding balls with the SkyTrak. I think I also need to look into some sort of softer impact mat to keep from ruining my body.

                  Comment

                  • keither5150
                    Champion Member
                    • Aug 2015
                    • 1364

                    #24
                    I just took the stock Taylormade shaft that came with the speed blades. It is a regular flex. I hit 3 other sets with stiff flex and didn't find that much of a difference. The stiff flex Taylormades RSi2 were $600 more than my speedblades. Once the season starts, I will see how I hit them IRL. As for the mat. I highly recommend Fibrebuilt mats. Their fairway mat is very easy on the joints. You can actually hit like you are taking a divot. http://www.fiberbuilt.com/golf/fiberbuilt-grass/ Fibrebuilt ships out of Calgary Canada.

                    Comment

                    • Boerdoc
                      Super Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • 627

                      #25
                      keither5150 , Thanks for starting this discussion. You spurred me on to replace my stiff mizunos. Recently, I have had too many trips to the chiropractor due to injuries. I got me a set of Mizuno Jpx forged with their tour graphite shafts. Today was the first day I played with them on the sim. What a difference it makes. Much less impact. They almost feel "soft". My scores were consistent and distances about the same.

                      Now I need to sell my jpx-850 forged LH clubs to offset the costs of these.

                      Comment

                      • Daddio
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2015
                        • 125

                        #26
                        Yup Keith after what I posted in the beginning of this thread has changed, lol.
                        I went back to my R9 with reg graphite. I don't know how much better they will be IRL, but they sure have made a difference for the sim. Crisper shots, smoother on the body.
                        If I like them when the season starts, I will probably buy a new set, I gave the R9's after I switched last year, to my wife, there may need to be some negotiating going on here!!

                        Comment

                        • keither5150
                          Champion Member
                          • Aug 2015
                          • 1364

                          #27
                          This forum is great that way. Somebody starts a discussion and it gets you thinking. I am glad the forum is used for more than a bitch session.

                          I think that the impact mat is very important too. As sim owners we have probably all hit on hundreds of driving range mats. I can tell you that the Fibrebuilt mat is by far the best that I have used.

                          Comment

                          • DougieMn
                            Advanced Member
                            • Nov 2014
                            • 272

                            #28
                            I will take a look at the Fiberbuilts......I think mine is the Country Club Elite......the pile is such in that you can place a tee just like real grass but when striking the ball it does grab the club and jar the joints a fair amount. I was at a local driving range this past week and their mats weren't near as hard on my body as mine but they were hard and basically had no pile length at all.

                            What about the "Divot Action" mats with the shock absorbing base? I had a similar product years ago but it felt to flimsy and thought it wasn't realistic.

                            I'm laying off hitting balls until my elbows feel a little better....never had elbow issues before.

                            Thank goodness SkyTrak fumbled the ball on releasing TGC this past week otherwise my body would probably never heal!!!!!
                            Last edited by DougieMn; 02-21-2016, 12:02 PM.

                            Comment

                            • keither5150
                              Champion Member
                              • Aug 2015
                              • 1364

                              #29
                              The divot action mats look interesting. I have never used one. The FB mat is pretty thick though. I think 2.2 inches.

                              Comment

                              • DougieMn
                                Advanced Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • 272

                                #30
                                Spent the morning yesterday doing a full bag fitting at a local fitting golf retailer. It was my third fitting-first from this golf store and can't speak highly enough about what they do and how they can get the exact right equipment for your game. I told my fitter I wanted whatever brand/style of equipment to maximize my game. No preconceived notions on who's product I should carry in my bag. Although we hit just about every imaginable brand and combination of shafts it's pretty simple to get them narrowed down and fine tune what works best for your game. I was excited to possibly move to graphite shafts but opted to continue with steel with Ping adding a proprietary dampening insert to take out vibrations. Felt amazing. Feels like graphite but still get the control and consistency of steel. First time with some of these brands in my bag but am excited to get the season rolling with all new sticks from lob to driver and but everything custom fitted for my game.

                                If you haven't spent the time getting fit do yourself a favor and do it. It will be the best 3 hours you spend improving your game(other than seeing a pro).

                                Comment

                                Working...