Getting a garage heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a garage heater

I have a garage setup that gets quite cold. I could see my breath many days even with the propane heaters I've been using. Playing KPC beta last week didn't seem as real at 30 degrees. I loved the course though. Anyway, I am getting a 240v overhead garage heater installed Friday. Very excited!

Is it a IR panel heater ? If yes, i got 2 of them in my room and they work great .

Comment

Which heater are you going with?

Comment

It's this one.

Comment

• SirNeedaSim
          SirNeedaSim commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like something I need to look into as well. However, the didn't work for me. What's the brand, model and cost?

Sorry about the link not working. It's a king kb2406. Installed with materials and labor about 800

Comment

I bought this one to heat my 32x32 garage. Works great - temp goes from 30 to 60 in about an hour.

Comment

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Please tell me you have a CO2 sensor in your garage.

• Bnorman58
            Bnorman58 commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the reasons I am moving from my propane heaters.

• sunnfunn
            sunnfunn commented
            Editing a comment
            I do. And I always open one of the garage doors 6-8 inches and one of the windows the same. It all works great. I may be changing to gas heat in the house though so I might move the oil furnace to the garage.

First, I insulated the garage door. Then, I purchased https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-1...ater/999901015 . It's heater and AC. I live in Tennessee. Not the most extreme temperature, but it does dip to the 20's (30's to low 40's most of winter) and 90's for much of the summer. I keep the thermostat to low 60's in winter and high 70's in summer. Works great!

Comment

I researched this extensively and ended up with this https://www.amazon.com/Toyotomi-TAD-.../dp/B008PSCL42

it works very well, but if the temps are extreme, under 10 degrees it warms up to 40. If it's 100 it'll cool down to 76 or so. That's in an insulated garage.

Comment

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              You could put 2 if you wanted to.

Just to add, if temps are more moderate it works wonders. The biggest thing is having two hoses from everything I researched. And also have as many BTUs as possible, 14k minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Joko View Post
              Just to add, if temps are more moderate it works wonders. The biggest thing is having two hoses from everything I researched. And also have as many BTUs as possible, 14k minimum.
              If I may ask, how many square feet is the garage ???? If it will drop a large insulated area 25 degrees that might work for me

Comment

It is around 550 sq feet, maybe less, I forget the exact numbers. 9' 8" or so is the height. And it's a requirement to have a way to vent the hoses outside, I have a small window I vent through. As I mentioned before, it works wonders if the temps are not extreme. If it's 15 degrees or below, the heat pump feature does not work that well, but when it's 35 or above it works quite well. I used it in the summer when it was 100 degrees and it would eventually bring it down to 76 or so.

Comment

First winter with a garage simulator. I live in Michigan but no matter how cold it gets outside, my garage never feels colder than 50-60 degrees. I actually end up getting warm after a few swings. Do most people that need heaters have detached garages? Just curious if anyone needs a heater with an insulated attached garage and how low their temps get.

Comment

My garage is attached but not insulated on all sides (just the house walls). You must have a very good insulated garage door also to keep that warm in Michigan. I think I mentioned but I am in Colorado. It was to the point where I could see my breath. This King heater is working out great now, I get hot now after a few holes and have to turn it down.

Comment

My garage door is not insulated, but my right side wall and ceiling are shared with heated areas (living room on the right and bed room on top). Also the simulator is in a tandem bay further away from the garage doors, so it is almost like a little space with nowhere for the heat to escape. I may just insulate my garage door and I should be able to keep the temps even warmer.
                      I plan to use it plenty during the summer so I am sure I will need to bring in a shop fan to help keep me cool. (or plenty of cold beers should do).

The only negative of having the simulator set up in the garage is the noise, I can't use it much when people are sleeping. And when people are sleeping is the best time for me to play :\

Comment

Yeah, mine is in a tandem garage too. Bought the house a year ago and that was a big selling point for me as I was looking for an area for a sim. Still cold in there before the heater. It's positioned to blow the heat towards the simulator space so it works real well and glad it is an isolated area. I hear ya on the loudness! I know there are quieter screens out there but mine has a lot of give. I keep reading about people cracking balls every 100 hits but I leave them in the cold garage (I only heat it while I am playing) and I have maybe cracked 2 balls in a year. I dont know if it's related but maybe that's the give and take of having a loud screen.

Comment

Working...
                        X