Skytrak and short chips going left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak and short chips going left?

Are other people experiencing an issue when hitting short chips with high launch angles going left even if the ball seems to be hit straigt? I see it all the time with these types of shots.

I know when I chip I come from the outside with a closed club face so being a left hander I tend to send the ball to the right. I do have some go left but that's when I either shank or toe poke them when my timing is off a little.

Comment

Originally posted by A.West View Post
      OP, yes, on a golf simulator (PG) I've noticed that using my 60 degree wedge I sometimes get shots that seem to go inaccurately far left or right. So if not necessary I try to avoid going higher than 56 degree wedge, because I don't see the same problem in lower launch angle shots.
      That's exactly what I have been observing - high chips/flops using 58 degrees or higher wedge seems to go excessively left (I'm right-handed) even though ball hits middle of screen. Some have suggested problem might be caused by my placing the ball slightly in front of the laser dot for high flop shots (in order to improve the unit's ability to capture high launch shot) and the club head potentially interfering with the reading???

Comment

I think it may be along the same line with the putting. Slow shots, i.e. short chips it just does not read the HA very well. For me, it's almost always to the right though. Ball hits screen inline with the target line and yet the shot in tgc goes right. Might be a good test whenever i get some time. Hang some strings down the screen at 1, 2 and 3 degrees offline and record some shots to confirm.

Comment

I get some chips going far left or right. I mainly use a 60 for my chips. Never thought of choosing a less lofted club. Might fool around to see if that is the issue.
          My courses:
          Aldeen
          Butler National
          Cantigny
          Canyata
          Cog Hill #4
          Harbor Shores
          Harborside
          Naperville Country Club
          Prairie Landing
          Rich Harvest Farms
          Ruffled Feathers
          Shoreacres

Comment

I just went and hit 7 or 8 shots with all 40+ degrees of launch with a 60 degree wedge and all seemed to relay exactly what I was hitting - not more than 2 degrees of side angle in either direction. How much side angle discrepancy are you guys talking about and how much launch is required to make it skewed?
            Attached Files

Comment

• imflynn13
              imflynn13 commented
              Editing a comment
              5+ degrees for the ones I've been telling you about. I've seen as high as 8 degrees. But maybe they started a degree or two to the right.

• doublebogey
              doublebogey commented
              Editing a comment
              The HA is usually pretty ok for me for 50 yard shots (in fact usually fairly perfect) using my 58 or 60 degree wedge. Like others said below, it's more like 15-30 yard pitch/lob shots (30 to 40+ degree LA) that sometimes (though not all the time) get extreme 8 degrees or more left (I have seen up to 12 degrees left before) HA when shots hit middle of my screen.

I see it in TGC. I just downloaded all my shot data. Below are some shots that are less than 10yds to pin.
            BS 10.6, HA 7.9, LA 30.5
            BS 10.9, HA 7.2, LA 37.5
            BS 14.4, HA 7.2, LA 33.8
            BS 15, HA 4.4, LA 33.3
            BS 14.5, HA -4.7, LA 31.6

There are many others in the 3-4 degree range and it's way more often to the right for me than left.

I can't recall these shots on an individual basis, but i don't usually miss by 5-7 degrees on shots that are less than 10 yards to pin. But anythings possible.

Comment

I see this too in TGC and agree with wbond above. It's always a right miss for me. Much like I used to do with putting before zero HA, I hit it a little left to compensate for this right miss. Not a huge deal to me, just hard to chip one in though. I too see it more in the 8 - 12 yard pitch shots.

Comment

Its the same as what the putting was, but i wouldnt want 0 HA on chips too. The Skytrak struggles on short yardage/putts with HA. Thats unfortunately, just the facts. Hopefully an integration with something like RMotion is on its way soon.

Comment

Mine does it with flop type shots. It always seems to read 7 degrees left, so I just aim way right and hope it works out! This is for TGC...I don't use the Skytrak app much at all.

Comment

SkyTrak_Seth I have noticed I get crazy (non) rollout even on the practise green when chipping. Would be useful if this could be tweaked...

Comment

• doublebogey
                      doublebogey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah I usually only get 1 yard roll onto green from 20-30 yards out (on shots w no massive backspins either).

• SkyTrak_Seth
                      SkyTrak_Seth commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We'll be looking at some new wedge stuff soon, so I'll make sure to revisit those physics at that time.

Hi everyone, I'm new to Skytrak and have just set up for the first time and so far it's been fun just trying out the basic driving range that come with the Skytrak app. The time to calculate the shot seems to have improved since I watched some demo videos a while back, and the data appears accurate.

However, as another member posted, I too seem to have an issue with very short chips (under 8 yds) that sometimes go quite far to the RIGHT on the software even though the ball is hit straight. The flight path and trajectory appears correct, but it's as though I've aimed a yard or 2 to the right even though the ball has gone straight down the middle. On chips that are a bit longer (10 yds plus) it seems to be ok most of the time.

I also have the issue that my 56 wedge works but my 60 doesn't appear to be detectable by Skytrak, assuming the LA is too steep for ST to pick it up.

Another member (and Seth from ST too in another post I believe) said this is just hardware/technology issues and restrictions and the results can be hit and miss so I'm happy to work around it, just thought I'd share some initial results.

Apart from that Skytrak appears awesome and looking fwd to finishing the hitting net and screen and getting the simulator fully up and running!

Comment

• bennyg211
                      bennyg211 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      move your ball in front of the laser (towards the target/screen) an inch or two and you should get to a point that it will read your 60deg.

I'm still getting same thing - i.e., short 15-30 yard chips/pitches going ~15 degrees left even though ball hits middle of my impact screen. Anybody getting the same? And SkyTrak_Seth or SkyTrak_James , any thoughts on why this might be so? Thanks.

Comment

I have moved the ball way back in my chip shots to lower my ball launch angle. I have no more issues with chips going right or left due to this change.

Comment

• doublebogey
                        doublebogey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah my problem only occurs with very high LA short chips/pitches. If I move ball behind laser dot and do a low LA bump and run, I have no problems.

So just want to hear from SkyTrak guys if they might be able to replicate the high LA short chip/pitch issues, and if so, is there a fix or just something we'll have to live with?

I see the same thing with a 60 degree wedge doublebogey, but not to the extent of 15 degrees! Maybe 4-7 degrees right bias with a 60 (for me). I say it's a similar techno downfall with the Skytrak and putting. Not a big issue though, just hit accordingly in the oppo direction. 15 degrees though, that's really odd...

Comment

• doublebogey
                        doublebogey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Though 15 degrees is one of the most extreme instances (and recent one that led me to making my latest post), I've actually seen 14-15 degrees left for straight shots reasonably frequently. I sometimes also wonder if it's the bars on my FMJ case?

I've been seeing the same thing with my 60 degree wedge shots when I open up the face. I had a couple tonight that hit the middle of the impact screen, but had a -11˚ HA. It seems to be dependent upon the degree of how open my wedge is set-up, but is not predictable enough to plan on for my set-up.

Comment

• doublebogey
                        doublebogey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow that's a really interesting observation. Thanks.
                    Working...
                    X