Missing shots and sparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing shots and sparks

Using a standard practice mat in my backyard I am creating quite often sparks at impact preferably with woods and hybrids. The sparks in turn interfere with the optical capture of hitting the ball (missing shot). Is there any workaround except for hitting the perfect clean "picker" shot?

The sparks are probably caused by sand in your mat. I don't think the mat itself would have anything that could spark, but I have seen sparks on Sandy driving ranges in the evening. I would try vacuuming the mat or hosing it off with some water

Comment

That sounds very plausible. Many Thanks

Comment

This might be a long shot, but this could also be caused by static electricity being generated by the friction of your club on the hitting surface. The only way to test this theory would be to properly ground the mat, the club, and you prior to hitting. I am not quite sure how to accomplish other than try and touch something grounded with your club prior to hitting to "discharge" yourself. I mention this because I am now getting more static "shocks" on my simulator because I recently installed carpet in my lower level so it has increased the potential for static electricity.

Comment

Interesting. I will test that, too. Have you also observed on your SkyTrak that the sparks prevent recording of a shot?

Comment

Yes, in fact I have. In my case, if I accidentally touch my Armour case, I have seen where my ST locks up and I have to reboot. Not a good situation. I need to come up with a way to prevent this. I will likely start another thread to discuss.

Comment

When playing at dusk on a real course, teeing off with a driver I have seen sparks as well. I have always assumed it was some kind of friction between the ball and the titanium face.

Comment

I just tested all your plausible suggestions. I cleaned the ball and mat meticulously before every shot, grounded myself and the club etc. Unfortunately, the sparks continue to bother. Yesterday and today it happened nearly every single time with my 3-Wood or 2-Hybrid. Same poor shots (e.g hitting the ground just before impact) were without sparks but the best shots sure had a spark. I have the SkyTrak since June and occasionally observed this before, but never with this consecutive stubbornness. Since I play outdoors, I begin to wonder wether that has something to do season or weather conditions. Currently, we have rainy conditions with some thunderstorms in my area. Any sharing of similar experience is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                X