Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @frackh and @inorkuo winning the TGC 2017/2018 Winter Tour - OHL Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2017/2018 Winter Tour - RSM Classic with 2 rounds at Sea Island CC(GA) - Seaside : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...ur-rsm-classic
See more
See less

How important is it for the mat to stay in place ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is it for the mat to stay in place ?

I use a CCE mat in my garage, but the concrete floor is kind of slippery and pretty much after/during every shot the mat would move, sometimes quite a bit. My Skytrak is not located on the mat itself, but I was wondering if the movement of the mat affects the accuracy of the capture by Skytrak camera. Sometimes I feel like my strike is pretty decent but the result is substantially worse (left or right). If it is important for the mat to not move, does anyone have any suggestion on how to keep it in place on a concrete floor?

Originally posted by butette View Post
    I use a CCE mat in my garage, but the concrete floor is kind of slippery and pretty much after/during every shot the mat would move, sometimes quite a bit. My Skytrak is not located on the mat itself, but I was wondering if the movement of the mat affects the accuracy of the capture by Skytrak camera. Sometimes I feel like my strike is pretty decent but the result is substantially worse (left or right). If it is important for the mat to not move, does anyone have any suggestion on how to keep it in place on a concrete floor?
    Your mat shouldn't move when you hit. This works great and your mat won't move at all on concrete:

https://www.amazon.com/90197-Industr...al+velcro+tape

Comment

The mat must remain still. If it moves then all sorts of things can screw up. I've found that if I ever move it (normally by hitting a hideously fat shot - we all do it sometimes.....) then the readings are not reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by butette View Post
        The root problem is not the mat moving , it is the mat moving relative to your launch monitor. Remember the launch monitor measures everything relative to it's orientation so if the mat moves and the launch monitor doesn't,. the measurements, particularly azimuth are incorrect. Your choices to correct this are firmly anchor the mat to the floor or firmly anchor the launch monitor to the mat.

I have a CCE mat on a concrete floor in my garage and I also park a car on/over the mat when not using the simulator. Driving the car over the mat moved it a lot.

My final solution was to glue two thin aluminum strips to opposite corners of the mat and attach these strips to the floor with 1/4x1 inch drop in anchors and 1/4-20 bolts. In order to do this correctly you will need access to a small hammer drill and a 3/8 masonry drill bit.

I tried other methods, velcro, glued corner braces etc. but driving a car over the mat would cause eventual slippage/failure of the attachments Part of the problem with any glued attachment was the floor has a fair amount of oil/grease infused in the concrete from many years of working on race cars. I also still use the floor to work on my cars so any above surface attachment methods tended to get in the way. The drop in anchors are flush with the floor so when moving the mat there is nothing in the way when working on other things in the garage.

Comment

I did something similar. Drill the floor twice and installed drop in stainless steel anchors. Then i thread the bolts by hand into the anchors and push the mat up to the bolts. The mat does not move at all. When I take the mat away, I just remove the bolts and there is nothing sitting above the floor. Also, I just used a cordless drill with the masonry bit, hammer drill would have been better, but it's not an absolute must. The masonry bit is though.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
            I did something similar. Drill the floor twice and installed drop in stainless steel anchors. Then i thread the bolts by hand into the anchors and push the mat up to the bolts. The mat does not move at all. When I take the mat away, I just remove the bolts and there is nothing sitting above the floor. Also, I just used a cordless drill with the masonry bit, hammer drill would have been better, but it's not an absolute must. The masonry bit is though.
            You can drill into the concrete with a regular drill and a masonry bit. I have a few holes in my floor with drop in anchors for various things like bead breakers, presses etc. which I did with a regular drill. The possible problem is if the concrete has rocks in it the drill goes sideways and makes the hole bigger which may make it hard to firmly fix the drop in anchor. After this happening a few times years ago I bought a hammer drill which apparently shatters the rocks, makes a round hole the size of the drill bit and as a side benefit drills the hole really fast. I've used the drill a lot to fasten things to the outside brick walls of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by fitness golfer View Post

Your mat shouldn't move when you hit. This works great and your mat won't move at all on concrete:

https://www.amazon.com/90197-Industr...al+velcro+tape
              I don't want the mat to be fixed to the floor at all time. I want to be able to put it out when I use and put it away when I park my car inside. If I use the velcro tape solution, is it easy to pull it off ? I may have to stop by Lowes tonight to investigate the drop-in anchor solution, although I rather not drill the floor if possible.

Thanks for all the inputs. The really inconsistent results from Skytrak was really beginning to frustrate me if it is due to the movement of my mat (not even from hitting fat shots, but from pressure of feet movement during the swing.

Comment

• fitness golfer
                fitness golfer commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you can remove the mat from the Velcro pretty easily but of course it still leaves the strips down on the concrete. I've probably removed and replaced mine 10 times. I'm not sure if you do it over and over again whether the Velcro adhesive on the concrete or underside of your mat will lose its grip. Pretty inexpensive to try though!

meh, I hit balls off a cce small hitting strip. That sucker flies all over the place, I have the skytrak on a 2*4 off to the side. I only notice weird numbers if I hit one heinously fat. On a good strike, the ball is gone and thru the camera's before that mat is moving.

Comment

• jschalk
                jschalk commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree. I was very concerned with this and have noticed no real difference when my big mat moves. Might be worse if it was flying around, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

• SecondandGoal
                SecondandGoal commented
                Editing a comment
                When my mat pops up, it occasionally causes a no-read, but I can't recall it causing a bizarre read.

Originally posted by jut111 View Post
              meh, I hit balls off a cce small hitting strip. That sucker flies all over the place, I have the skytrak on a 2*4 off to the side. I only notice weird numbers if I hit one heinously fat. On a good strike, the ball is gone and thru the camera's before that mat is moving.
              I think the issue is your strip on the side does not move during the swing, but my big mat underneath my feet may move during my swing.

Comment

I bought 3M safety walk since I need to move my mat daily. Comes in a clear version. Mat still moves a little but only about a cm or 1/2 inch after a few hours on the sim.

Comment

My CCE mat is on carpet in my movie room. It moves a fraction of an inch on each hit -- but can move 6 inches or more over the course of 20 balls or so. That said -- I don't think it is causing any issues with readings.

Comment

Update: while walking around in Lowes yesterday to look at anti slip tape to put down on the garage floor, I found a much cheaper and "portable" solution. I basically bought 2 cinder blocks https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cap-Concret...625-in/3608974 at $1 each and put one at the top right corner and one at the bottom left corner of my 3x5 CCE mat. The blocks are so heavy that they prevent the mat from moving and it really helps. I don't get some of the crazy numbers when the mat moves anymore. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

No chance to hit a shank on theses blocks and get the ball back in face ? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ykaar View Post
                        No chance to hit a shank on theses blocks and get the ball back in face ? ^^
                        No chance, unless I hit a BACKWARD shank. The front block is in the top RH corner behind the ball, behind the unit. I don't know why people are even worried about hitting the unit, much less the block. In the year that I have been hitting ball, I have never even come close to hitting the unit.

Comment

Working...
                        X