Adjustment to Hitting Indoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment to Hitting Indoors?

I am used to playing indoors at our local golf sim shops and I love it. I have been a frequent customer every winter, playing once a weekend for the last three years every winter.

So when I decided to set up my basement for golf sim, I did not imagine I will be having issues. I pulled the trigger thinking that this will save me a lot of money and time if I build my own. SO far two weeks after setting up my golf cage and ST, I have been experiencing some very frustrating issues. Not with the Sky Trak unit itself as it reads flawlessly. It may be just my swing after all, but I need to do some range time this weekend to find that out. I usually am a very good ball striker with my irons and a fairly decent driver of the ball. Usually IF I don't visit the range, I will have some issues with the quality of hits but I sort them out after a few range sessions.

For some reason since I have set up my golf sim, I have been hitting nothing but toe hits on my irons. I can only hit my sw to pw properly but still not my usual quality hit. out of 10, I can say only 4 shots are decent. My miss are low launching, hand stinging shots due to toe hits. And my woods and driver and hybrid? Well I cannot hit them. As in 0 good hits. If you watch me hit my driver or woods down our basement, you'd think I am a beginner. It's that bad.

I suspect two things. One is that my swing may have been ruined by whatever I have picked up before the end of the season this year, around end of October. Second is hitting indoors, I am not yet past the indoor swing syndrome. Until I try out my swing at the local indoor range this weekend, I cannot say for sure if it is a swing issue indeed or just my mind messing me up. Whatever this maybe, I hope it goes away because it will be really disappointing if I cannot make this work as I have invested in the Sky Trak unit etc plus the basement upgrade. I can always set up an outdoor golf cage in the summer and still practice using my ST every day but that was not the original plan.

I also plan on inviting my buddies over and have them try out the setup and see what results they get. They are also very familiar with indoor golf sims as I play with them during the winter months a lot. If it works out for them, then that answers half of my questions.

So my question is, did you have any issues with your ball striking or the quality of hits when you built your golf sim in your home? If so, how long before you got past all the issues that comes with hitting indoors.

I had a problem with my drive and wood # 3. I could not get the length as outdoor. I eliminated the problem by initially training the chips with these clubs. Then I gradually extended my swing (half swing etc.) and increased the speed of the swing. Finally I got to the full swing and speed and got the ball to the required length. I think this is how "indoor swing syndrome" can be removed.

Comment

• brg1875
      brg1875 commented
      Editing a comment
      How long did this take to get your "normal" swing

Originally posted by Mirek_62 View Post
    I had a problem with my drive and wood # 3. I could not get the length as outdoor. I eliminated the problem by initially training the chips with these clubs. Then I gradually extended my swing (half swing etc.) and increased the speed of the swing. Finally I got to the full swing and speed and got the ball to the required length. I think this is how "indoor swing syndrome" can be removed.
    Maybe try some impact face tape or foot powder on clubs just to see where your strikes are, and adjust accordingly? I had problems as well till I did that and actually seen how crappy of a strike I was making and blaming it on the skytrak. Its improved. But driver and woods still are a bit short for me, and I can attribute a bit of it to indoor swing, and some to ball placement (still working to find sweet spot) but on ones I absolutely destroy seem to be around 30-50 yards short for now. I do know all my outside distances as I've tracked a couple hundred rounds on game golf.
    To be honest I was quite disappointed when I first got my skytrak, but just stick with it, tinker, and it will come around. Not sure if my laser isn't pointed correct, but for me my driver seems to work placed about 8" behind laser dot, long irons 6" behind, and moving up to wedges where they would be 1-2" behind. I think just trial and error to find the sweet spot for reads is, as some people are right on the dot, or just behind. Had a total blast last night playing a tournament.
    Last edited by Shifty; 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Kevin_C
      Kevin_C commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. I can’t believe the Skytrak would read the ball 8 inches behind the laser dot.

My irons and hybrids are spot on.

Driver is 20-30 yds short

The problem was in the "indoor swing syndrome". I had to stop worrying play full swing at full speed.
    I am using thermal transfer sticker to determine the point of impact on the club face.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirek_62 View Post
      The problem was in the "indoor swing syndrome". I had to stop worrying play full swing at full speed.
      I am using thermal transfer sticker to determine the point of impact on the club face.
      Wow those are spot on impact Mirek. I will try swinging half way and see where it takes me. But I want to try somewhere else as well to make a point that it might be the tight space after all that is causing this issue. I have noticed that I cannot swing as fluid and relaxed as I usually swing outdoors or even at the local golf sim shop near my place.

Here is my lousy impact position with a sand wedge.

Again I have no issues with my ST. I know when I hit the ball flush and not and so far since setting up my golf sim down my basement, I have been hitting the ball like crap.
      Last edited by msg; 11-16-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I thought that "indoor swing" was stupid - but when I started using my Skytrak I found that it was definitely real. There are 3 issues I think:

(1) Fear of hitting your (expensive!) Skytrak LM with club or ball
        (2) Fear that the impact screen will not deaden impact and a deadly missile will rebound at you
        (3) Fear that the club will hit surroundings either on backswing or follow through.

These may well mean that when you begin Skytrak shows distances smaller than you are used to. This happened to me. However as others have said I built up slowly with 50 yd pitches, 100 yd pitches, half shots and "down the handle" shots with PW, 9I etc. That increases confidence and then you can try some woods. Now I'm fine (but not quite with my driver yet!)

So my message is the same as others - stick with it: gain confidence - but it may take some time.

Comment

• msg
          msg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there, thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I actually went to the local golf dome here. And guess what. Same shots happened. The driving range bays are not confined in tight space so that means something happened to my swing in the course of my two week break. At least that means it is not the mat or the basement. I need to figure this out first and try to get back to my normal swing and find out if I will be experiencing the indoor swing syndrome if any.

By the way, I brought my Sky Trak at the dome and it was flawless. It captured all the bad shots I produced. Lol

When I built a setup in my house I ended up "short arming" my swing. I have just over 9 foot ceilings and was concerned I'd hit the ceiling. Despite many test swings, it took forever to convince myself that I could just let it rip. The way I finally got over it was the same way I've warmed up on a cold morning when I am really tight. I started very slow, stretched a lot, took long slow swings, was deliberate about taking a fair amount of time between shots and trying to relax. I was doing everything I can to prevent stress and stay loose. Give it a try and be patient, you'll get it back.

Comment

I never had any indoor swing issues unless I got flat with my driver back swing and clipped the wall behind me. I just tweaked my mat position to eliminate the issue. And then I installed the projector above my head and it caused massive issues physiologically as I couldn’t commit to a follow through with any club with out fear of hitting the projector. It just takes time to gain confidence that your not going to hit anything and I’m absolutely fine now.

Comment

Late to the party on this thread. Just finished my own SkyTrak Indoor setup and I have exactly the same issue as msg . Toe hits, topped shots, shanks, pulls. I just can't seem to hit any ball consistently, some work out really well, but then it almost feels that I was just lucky .
            Haven't been on the driving yet since I finished my build. I really hope it won't happen outdoors and I even hope more that this indoor hitting syndrome gets away, it is a heft investment, time and money. I think I somehow subconsiouly am afraid of hitting my projector which was a bad choice. Shortthrow somewhat forced me in putting it slightly in front of me and i've 'rubbed' it a few times already. I think that's in my head now to not hit the lens. I am now experimenting with a metal shop basket to put some protection around it...
            Hey everyone - I wanted to share the build-out of my Skytrak golf simulator at home. I’m living in Belgium (Europe) and during a work hectic, wet and cold

Comment

Working...
            X