Yellow Light Fix - Based on Device Network/WiFi Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Light Fix - Based on Device Network/WiFi Settings

I use a Samsung tablet to connect to the SkyTrak device. For 3 months I was regularly experiencing the "yellow light" connection issue. On average, the yellow light issue plagued my golfing experience, happening at least every 10 to 15 shots.

After making the two adjustments below on my tablet; I have hit close to 2000 shots using the device and haven't seen the yellow light one time. Problem seems 100% resolved.

This solution is rooted in turning off settings that many devices have turned on by default by the manufacturer. According to SkyTrak documentation, the yellow light indicates the device has located a WiFi network but is unable to connect. Adjusting the settings below seems applicable for the yellow light issue.\

Although my settings are relative to a Samsung tablet, the underlying networking/WiFi principles and settings could be applicable to other device types and brands. Most devices have these same kind of settings.

Hope this helps some of you.

1. Turn off Network Notification
    --- You can find this somewhere in "Settings / WiFi Advanced settings". You have to turn off WiFi temporarily to access/edit this setting, then you turn WiFi back on
    --- We setup our SkyTrak device to use a specific WiFi network (ours); we do not need or want our device to constantly notify us of other networks
    --- You can always turn this setting back on if you need it

2. Turn off Nearby Device Scanning
    --- I found this in "Settings / More Connection Settings"
    --- We don't need or want our device constantly scanning for other devices
    --- You can always turn this setting back on if you need it
    Last edited by Kris; 12-04-2017, 04:42 PM.

After using my SkyTrak for 40+ days with these changes, I can say with 100% certainty it's working. However, I have since learned that #2 above is not necessary; it turns out that item #1 above (Network Notifications) was the key setting to adjust on my tablet/device; that was causing the SkyTrak device to have wireless network issues, causing the yellow light to turn on. Adjusting that setting has completely fixed the issue.

I would also note that I had to turn on the #2 setting because I'm extending my tablet display to a TV on the wall; so I had to turn it on. Thankfully my yellow light has stayed away even with that setting on; confirming that it's item #1 above that is the key.

Comment

Glad this is working. The yellow disconnects are very troubling and I have wanted a better answer than connecting directly to usb on my pc. To be clear for me, are you connecting to the Skytrak network in direct mode or are you using the network mode for your internet wifi. Those are 2 of 3 choices we have for pc connections, the other being usb connection. Not sure about the tablet mode connections. What you found makes complete sense, stick to this connection and don't look for another.

Comment

Wow, I had not heard of this issue. Just to be clear, a solid yellow middle light means that the unit has successfully connected to the network. If it's not connecting in the app (going all 3 greens), then it sounds like your tablet was maybe hopping back and forth to other networks in the background, thus breaking the connection with the unit. Not sure if the notifications themselves were disrupting the connection or if turning them off prevents the tablet from hopping to another network. Regardless, thank you for sharing!

Comment

i have similar issues with my iphone, any advice? I do not see similar options on this device, but I am admittedly a new apple user.

Comment

• ste1010
            ste1010 commented
            Editing a comment
            See my post below. I was using an IPAD Pro and had major problems. They seem to be resolved. The Netgear was £14 from Amazon. The only other thing that may have been causing a problem is I was throwing the screen to a TV via Apple TV. I havent done that since I got the NetGear

I have had serious issues with SkyTrak losing connection (yellow light) and misreads to the point I arranged an RMA. I was using it in Network mode and had ensure I had split my 2.4 and 5ghz networks with different SSID's and passwords. I also had some issues in direct mode. Possibly the Ipad was searching for another network.

As a last resort I purchased a NetGear WLAN extender which only supported 2.4Ghz. By default this uses the same SSID as my WLAN router however I greated a dedicated SkyTrak SSID. Since using this I can honestly say the unit has behaved perfectly over the last three weeks or so. I think I have had one misread from 1000+ shots.

I think the connectivity of the SkyTrak is its biggest problem which is a real shame. I was almost at the point of trying to sell it. If I could have got a refund I would have taken it no doubt about it.

Comment

I was in network mode again tonight and I played 16 holes great and then the dreaded yellow middle light kept coming on. I then went to usb mode and I had better luck. I wish skytrak would fix the issues of connection and they would have an awesome machine for the price.
            Im using a gaming pc with windows 10 and that is over built for jnpg (according to my IT guy that works for me). Are there any settings that you guys can suggest that may help with my network mode.. turning on or off certain settings ? I played last week in USB mode and had much better success.
            Thanks
            Last edited by jwjw12; 01-10-2018, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I was getting the yellow light after hitting the ball over the last couple weeks and then I restarted my router today and had zero issues. So restarting the router is a good starting point. We’ve had some windy weather come through and some scattered power outages so that may have affected things.

Comment

Connections issues can be pretty weird. If I have all the kids and their partners over and they all connect to Wifi, along with the stuff I usually have running in the house, my router usually jams up.
                Internet is still working but it's like the router freezes. Once I reboot the router it's all good again. Over Christmas was a good example of this. I went out to play TGC with my skytrak and it had trouble picking up the unit. I went in the house and rebooted the wifi and all was good again. So I told them to turn of their phones cause it was a family holiday....and their dad wanted to play golf.....

Comment

MAC address reservations made a difference for me

Comment

• jrz
                    jrz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you please elaborate? Did you reserve an IP address for your ST unit?

I added the MAC address of the ST to my router. I haven't had any issues since though not 100% sure they are related.

Comment

Originally posted by thorin33 View Post
                    I added the MAC address of the ST to my router. I haven't had any issues since though not 100% sure they are related.
                    how did you get the mac address of the ST? it doesnt show up as a connected device against the router

Comment

Originally posted by doodlleus View Post

how did you get the mac address of the ST? it doesnt show up as a connected device against the router
                      I use MAC address filtering for every device in my house. My IP address range is configured such that I don't have any extra. On my specific router I am able to see the MAC of all connected devices. My matter of elimination I was able to determine what the one undefined address was (which was the Skytrak)

Comment

Originally posted by thorin33 View Post

I use MAC address filtering for every device in my house. My IP address range is configured such that I don't have any extra. On my specific router I am able to see the MAC of all connected devices. My matter of elimination I was able to determine what the one undefined address was (which was the Skytrak)
                        Thanks for that. Unfortunately assigning a static up to both my iPad and my ST makes no difference. I have a separate said running in only 2.4ghz on a non cluttered channel. It is about 2m from the sim setup and still get disconnected after every couple of shots. Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                        X