New to Skytrak and not reading swings and low club head speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Skytrak and not reading swings and low club head speed

So I received my new Skytrak with the metal protective case this week and I have been excited about it. We have used it the past two nights in the garage with very mixed swing results. We followed all the tips people have suggested about lighting and shiny things in the back round ball on the dot in front behind even directly on top. I can't recall it ever missing an iron or wedge swing in the thousands of swings we have in so far, however my woods are a different story. I have Cobra bio cell woods that are the blue in color black shaft. it will maybe read my 3 wood maybe 1 in 10 swings my hybrids 3 in 10 swings and my driver will be say 7 in 10 guessing its size helps. but what is odd is when it records a swing with my woods you will get a low club-head swing number say 10-15 mph low of what I know it should be and distance and ball speed isn't far off for the most part. My friend is having better luck with his swings however he has a black matte finished Callaway xr16 3 wood that seems to fall in the same issue I have with my woods and struggles to read it as well. We invited another friend over who has Mizuno matte finished blue woods and never missed a shot for him all night swings speeds seem right for him as well. I was curious what others have found with certain colors of clubs and affect on the Skytrak I would almost say in the 2 nights of swinging it has only registered 50% of my swings and that mostly is just the irons. I haven't tried adding masking tape to the top of my woods but I really shouldn't have to either just discouraged a little with the consistency because it's obviously something with my swing or my golf clubs

Try it without the metal case.

Ignore swing speed. It is not measured by Skytrak. Ball speed is measured, and swing speed is estimated.

Comment

• silverado101980
      silverado101980 commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you that's good to know

You have made sure that the bottom of the Skytrak unit is the same height as your hitting surface? I don't have the metal case myself, so I'm not sure how high that puts the Skytrak compared to the ground. For sure you need to measure the height of your mat and make sure the bottom of the Skytrak is at the same level.

Comment

• silverado101980
      silverado101980 commented
      Editing a comment
      We tried it on the mat and off on a board beside the mat but I didn't think to set it on the concrete floor and try it. I would say it's an inch difference I will make sure it's at the same height
      Last edited by silverado101980; 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM.

Keep it off your hitting mat if possible, you may get skewed results. Also, as mentioned above make sure the bottom of the unit is same height as what you are hitting off of.

Comment

I would say one thing I wish there was a diagnostic mode or live view. Something that you could turn on with the App or PC and get a view of what the Skytrak sees if there was something that was causing interference like light or shadows or a bad reflection or something shiny in the background ect. I will keep playing with it I'm sure it's just a little kink in my setup

Comment

Hi and welcome to the trak family!
        I have hade my unit for 3 years and I hit a lot. Since december almost every day, changing my swing and bought the golf club game which is so funny!
        But with the updates of firmware and software my unit changes behavior.
        Today no drives will be read with laser dot ahead of ball, Aim directly at tee and it will read. Past, no reads unless teeing the 2 inches behind.
        Lightning from behind, I have a large window in front of unit, must be screened some way.
        Cleaning the lens more frequent. (Have you removed the plastic cover?)

Ball speed is correct the club head is more or less calculated with 1.47 in smash factor (for me never less than 1.45). Actually giving you better lenght with poor strikes.

Comment

• TugBoat762
          TugBoat762 commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got my sim running today, so far I love it. I did leave the plastic film on the sensor, should I remove it to reduce the frequency of misreads? I have had a couple in my first dozen or so swings. Thanks.

Ignore CH speed, smash factor. These are not measured. They are inferred from ball data using a pretty simple linear regression model. They are probably pretty accurate for centre hits with longer clubs, but for chips, pitches, gap wedges etc. the results are often poor. To be fair ST never claims to measure club data - only ball data.

As far as misreads go, I suggest that you experiment with ball positioning. This changed for me after I got the FMJ. I find now that I need to position the ball about 3mm behind the laser dot. Doing that, I get about 1 no-read out of 30.

Comment

Tried setting the skytrak on the ground tonight in it's metal cage reversed the foot pegs only using the back one for tilt and had very little problem with a dark room accept over head light and one shining 30 ish degrees on the back side of the hitting area completely different results we maybe had less than 5% mis hits in 6 hours I'm very happy with the turn around just needed some guidance and some tinkering and it worked out thank you for the help guys !

Comment

So you put the ST in the FMJ and twisted the front foot pegs as tight as they would go and only adjusted with the rear leg?

Comment

This is how we set it up last night on the concrete our hitting mat isn't very thick and this worked well and I just used the bolt end of the screw to adjust any slight angle adjustments

Comment

Ahh ok that makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                X