Sky Trak DRASTIC Distance Issue with 3 wood, especially Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky Trak DRASTIC Distance Issue with 3 wood, especially Driver

Hi Guys this is my first post. I have read every post on this issue and have tried just about everything. But my driver is reading unbearably inaccurately. I am not sure what my swing speed or ball speed should be but I do know that I carry my drives 250+, I have verified with Trackman and with my rangefinder at the driving range. The picture is of a session yesterday. Every single one of these drives carried at least 240 yards with some bombs (for me they are bombs) that carried about 270. As you can see Sky Trak is not even in the ballpark. I hit this morning with my 3 hybrid and was carrying it 215 on skytrak with ease. This was outside at the range so it surely not indoor swing. Definitely was level with mat and bubble on top was centered.

At the end of the day, I can just barely deal with this because my indoor set up has low ceilings so I can only hit 3 hybrid and higher. But I have an outdoor set up that I use too.

What things should I try to improve this? I have tried using dark tees, putting the ball in front and behind the dot, and going to range in the evening when the sun is not shining, I have sacrificed nice non-range balls (variety of brands and types), and making sure logo is facing the camera. What else should I try? This makes playing TGC...frankly not fun at all.

My personal theory is that it just can't keep up with whatever my ball speed really is because otherwise it makes no logical sense that it would be so spot on for irons.

Thanks. SkyTrak_Seth I would love you input.

PS: I do have a call into SkyTrak commercial team.

And I made sure the dot was at the base of my tee. I have this issue with my set up at home using tomahwak dark blue tees as well the range with the white rubber tees.

Comment

Did you try it at the range where you can see how far the ball carried? IT’s best to try that first. We get a lot of posts like yours. I too posted it when I got my LM. A lot of times it’s just getting used to being inside.
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      London Hunt Club L mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Just looking at the numbers you posted, you are offline by quite a bit on a lot of those shots. Most shots start to the right, but several of them are high with slice spin carrying them farther offline, while others have hook spin. Shot 5 carried 208 but was offline 102 yards. Are you seeing shots go that far offline at the range? Maybe Skytrak's carry number is yards forward, and you are looking at just distance from the tee? If that were the case, you would have a right triangle with a 208 yard leg, a 102 yard leg, and a hypotenuse of 231 yards, which gets you closer to what you say you are seeing.

Also, you have a lot of variability in both launch angle and backspin, at least what is recorded. The shots that end up close to straight launched very low and therefore have less carry. The ones that launch high also have high backspin which means they will balloon and not fly as far too. I'm not trying to be critical of your golfing abilities, but just wondering if you see lots of variability in height as well as direction on the range. If your shots are going anywhere from 51 yards left of the target to 102 yards right of the target and have a peak height from 11 to 28 yards, it's hard to show that there is a systematic error with the Skytrak.

Comment

• David DeWitt
          David DeWitt commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah that data is definitely bogus. Just looking at the launch and offline numbers...not even close to reality. It was from the sun!

I agree with Andy. Your losing a lot of distance with the hook and slice spin. Are you hooking/slicing it that bad on the course?

Comment

Have you tried running the numbers through the flightscope optimizer. I quickly did your first drive and found the carry to be only a 5 yard difference.

I think Andy is correct your launch is pretty low and carry will not be that high.

The great news is with the launch monitor you have and some adjustments/lessons you will be able to optimize your launch angle over time.

I had a hard time adjusting to swinging indoors even with a 10 foot ceiling.

Comment

Unfortunately Flightscope Optimizer has an issue with low spin driver shot’s carry distance like Foresight algorithm where the carry numbers inflate due to apex being calculated too high. Be cautious of that when you have a driver shot of 1900rpm or below backspin.

Comment

HI

Just looked at your Skytrak numbers, and there is nothing wrong with your skytrak.

Your spin numbers tell me that your strike location on the face is all over the place, ranging from 1800 spin to 5000 spin, these are usually the numbers i would see on a high handicap player.

There is nothing wrong with your SKytrak, Trackman numbers can be boosted by club pros to sell more clubs.

I can tell from your strike patterns (spin numbers) that you do not drive it 250yrds carry.

On the course my buddies think i drive it over 300yrds when i hit driver and 7 iron into their par five 18th, i don't, i only hit it 260yrds carry, Skytrak is right !

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but I suggest you go down to your local pro who uses a launch monitor and GET A LESSON.
              Your PGA PRO will show you how to fix your strike location at impact on the driver face. THen you will see, skytrak is bang on.

I've said it time and time again, there's nothing wrong with skytrak, it is the user, who doesn't like what they see, but that's what makes skytrak great, now you can START TO IMPROVE.

Comment

• David DeWitt
                David DeWitt commented
                Editing a comment
                I am of the mind that my skytrak is probably working right too. It's much more sensitive outside i believe to light and whatnot. The new data I posted was from a session where the drive data seemed more accurate- at least I got it to read a 250 carry so maybe im just adjusting to hitting into a net with houses around me.

• David DeWitt
                David DeWitt commented
                Editing a comment
                oh an I am improving. Have my best 2 rounds ever this summer after getting lessons- a 37 on a nine hole course (easy course though) and an 82 at a local course i had never broken 90 on before

• HappyGilmore102
                HappyGilmore102 commented
                Editing a comment
                HI David

THat's great, we are all trying to help and improve things on this forum.

I would do the foot spray trick and see if you are making consistent contact on the driver face since the spin numbers are varying.
              My courses:
              Aldeen
              Butler National
              Cantigny
              Canyata
              Cog Hill #4
              Harbor Shores
              Harborside
              Naperville Country Club
              Prairie Landing
              Rich Harvest Farms
              Ruffled Feathers
              Shoreacres

Comment

Originally posted by David DeWitt View Post
                Hi Guys this is my first post. I have read every post on this issue and have tried just about everything. But my driver is reading unbearably inaccurately. I am not sure what my swing speed or ball speed should be but I do know that I carry my drives 250+, I have verified with Trackman and with my rangefinder at the driving range. The picture is of a session yesterday. Every single one of these drives carried at least 240 yards with some bombs (for me they are bombs) that carried about 270. As you can see Sky Trak is not even in the ballpark. I hit this morning with my 3 hybrid and was carrying it 215 on skytrak with ease. This was outside at the range so it surely not indoor swing. Definitely was level with mat and bubble on top was centered.

At the end of the day, I can just barely deal with this because my indoor set up has low ceilings so I can only hit 3 hybrid and higher. But I have an outdoor set up that I use too.

What things should I try to improve this? I have tried using dark tees, putting the ball in front and behind the dot, and going to range in the evening when the sun is not shining, I have sacrificed nice non-range balls (variety of brands and types), and making sure logo is facing the camera. What else should I try? This makes playing TGC...frankly not fun at all.

My personal theory is that it just can't keep up with whatever my ball speed really is because otherwise it makes no logical sense that it would be so spot on for irons.

Thanks. SkyTrak_Seth I would love you input.

PS: I do have a call into SkyTrak commercial team.
                You seemed to have similar ball speed and low launch like me (you're more extremely than me though), and just by glancing at the numbers the carry seemed pretty close to mine. I never actually plugged in Skytrak numbers and amazingly it looks like they're all within tolerance. As I mentioned before, Flightscope Optimizer and Foresight products are extremely inaccurate when it comes to low spin driver shot that are below 1900rpm, but so far Skytrak algorithm has actually passed every single validation for carry distance from OptimalFlight (which is very similar to Trackman). It looks pretty good in my eyes that you should have a confidence in Skytrak numbers when they output correctly. See the table below (also note Trackman carry is likely to be less than OptimalFlight due to various conditions (i.e. wind and various golfer flight trajectory physics) and Skytrak seems to be very aligned with Trackman.
                Skytrak Carry Expected Carry Difference
                208 204.1 3.9
                226 231.1 -5.1
                215 220.4 -5.4
                224 226.2 -2.2
                208 209.3 -1.3
                218 216.1 1.9
                228 226.1 1.9
                163 170 -7
                214 215.9 -1.9
                215 222.8 -7.8
                211 212.4 -1.4
                AVG 212 214 -2
                Aside from the algorithm though - just from a fitting perspective - your launch angle is extremely low which should cause at least 15+yds loss in distance. I would try to find a higher loft driver (at least 3+deg up) and see how that goes. You should be hitting 12-14 degrees in launch.

Also, your launch direction from your skytrak (which states as SIDE) is pretty extreme to the right. I don't know if you're standing way to the right or it's Skytrak that's causing it (since I don't own Skytrak and never tested one so I dont know about this), if it's caused by you you really should try to change your stance facing more to the left (this wouldn't affect carry but just saying).

Sorry if my last 2 paragraphs went a little beyond. I just love numbers and you share very similar data as me so I just wanted to let you know how I challenged my low launch problem. Hope this helps.

p.s. I just noticed that you said you hit 250+yd carry. If your ball speed is 140~150mph though with that launch angle and spin there is no way you can hit 250+yd carry (you would max at 240yds at 150mph ball speed with 14deg launch angle). So it's either skytrak just completely reading wrong on ball speed or other data (which I doubt since skytrak numbers come out pretty close to other launch monitors), or maybe you're just talking about the total distance and not carry.
                Last edited by LEO MODE; 08-30-2018, 06:16 AM.

Comment

• David DeWitt
                  David DeWitt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its funny cause I have a very high launch with all clubs. Just bogus data form skytrak that day I belive-too much sun

How high are your ceilings? I’m thinking this could be a hitting indoor issue. Also, what elevation do you live at? My carry distances for where I live are approx. 7% longer than at sea level. Thus, for Leo’s example above, your 240 carry at sea level would be 256 here.

Comment

• David DeWitt
                  David DeWitt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ahve no idea what elevation I live at! i will try adjusting that

• David DeWitt
                  David DeWitt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wanted a SIM so bad that I found a way to make it work in my unfinished basement. Floor to joists is 7 foot 10 inches but the ceiling above is 9. on long irons and hybrid, my backswing goes between joists and same on follow through. there is A LOT of indoor swing syndrome for me to get over. That is for sure!

Since the original question was questioning the accuracy of the readings as opposed to if the algorithm itself was accurate, there are three things that you can test at home. Using foot spray on the face of the club will show you impact location. If you are hitting it low on the clubface you will have a lot more backspin as shown by your Skytrak. If you consistently hit the middle of the face (within a few millimeters) but still have wide variations in spin readings (as in varying 2.5x between low and high readings) then I would question the Skytrak's accuracy.

You can also measure horizontal and vertical launch angle reasonably accurately at home too. After a shot, make a note of where the ball hit the impact screen. Measure the horizontal distance from that point to a straight line, and measure the distance from where you hit the ball to the screen. Take the inverse tangent of the horizontal distance divided by distance to the screen to get the side angle that Skytrak displays. If you are 8 feet from the screen, a 7 degree shot to the right will hit 1 foot to the right of center. Then do that again but measure the vertical distance to see your vertical launch angle. If both horizontal and vertical launch are accurate, and you are missing the center of the clubface, then I think it is reasonable to assume your skytrak is working. If horizontal and vertical launch angles are way off, then your Skytrak may need to be recalibrated.

Comment

• David DeWitt
                  David DeWitt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe I was getting bogus readings due to sunlight, thanks for the advice though

Thanks everyone for the responses. I didnt really analyze the data very carefully-- but there is no way it is accurately reading. I was not hitting all over the place and I was consistently hitting 250 carries. Turns out I underestimated the power of the sun I think because on this day the sun was shining into the lens. I reviewed some data form when I was hitting in my outdoor net at home and results were more consistent- albeit still way short. HappyGilmore102 - I do get lessons. I verified i carry the ball 260 on average durring a gap session with my coach and his trackman. I am a lefy and my miss is typically a slice. Im gonna have to test again with right outdoor conditions. Keep in mind I can't hit driver indoors my ceilings are too low. My irons and 3 hybrid are all pretty much bang on--maybe a tad short- but I attribute that to indoor swing. But yeah...looking at those offline numbers in the pic I posted, that was not reality. Ill post another set of data when the conditions allow me.

I did chat with support team and I sent him pic of the set up and based on shadows he immediately knew the sun was the problem. He was surprised the skytrak even registered shots at all.

Sorry that was kind of a ramble

Comment

If you consistently carry 260 outdoor with trackman then skytrak is definitely wrong. Skytrak is known for not reading so well outdoor especially with sunlight so...

Comment

• David DeWitt
                    David DeWitt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes this is what I tihnk--outdoor readings not so consistent. I thought since it ws reading it all that it would be correct- not the case. I dod remember now that I think about it, skytrak was reading big hooks when i was hitting straight. I should probably ignore those readings

Actually I just found onlone sessions from my outdoor net when it was late evening no sun issues. take a look at and let me know-- 4 iron and driver pics posted. Please try to ignore the shanks- it was my first night on the machine and was nervous about missing the net and had all kinds of yips - i am far more consistent than it shows- but there are good shots in there 4 the iron where the distances made sense to me. For sure there were good strikes on the driver- everything from this data seems closer to reality EXCEPT carry and ball speed- and again, I know I carry it 260-but okay i was nervous and holding back- i don't think that would take it down by 40 yards. Let me know your thoughts all.

Comment

• andygg1986
                    andygg1986 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think one thing to note is how big of a difference launch angle and backspin can have on your shot. I know it was surprising to me when I first got a launch monitor. The sixth shot has a ball speed of 150 mph, 2627 rpm backspin, and 15.4 degree launch angle and flies 251 yards. The 10th shot has a ball speed of 148 mph, 2467 backspin, and a 10.7 degree launch angle and only flies 213 yards. Everything except launch angle is pretty close, yet you have 38 yards difference in carry.

Likewise, driver distance is heavily dependent on low spin so the shot doesn't balloon. Shot 9 (147 mph, 15.4 degrees, 4412 rpm) is almost the same as shot 6 but has almost 1800 more rpms of backspin. That extra spin costs you 27 yards of carry.

With a clubhead speed in the low 100's an optimal swing can get your ball speed in the low-mid 150's and carry up close to 260 yards, but you need to get both high launch and low spin as well as a smash factor close to 1.50 from center face contact to do it.

I can't say for sure that your Skytrak isn't misreading, but you can estimate launch angle pretty closely by seeing where the ball hits the net, and high backspin is usually caused by hitting the bottom half of the driver with a descending angle.

• David DeWitt
                    David DeWitt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    andygg1986 thanks for looking at the numbers so thoughtfully. Those are good points.
                Working...
                X