Hitting Mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting Mats

So am I correct in my research on here that Fiberbuilt is the way to go for a great all-around hitting mat? Seems to get high praises on here, especially for helping with ST accuracy. I'm interested in other options too, especially now that the 4x5 FB mats are all sold out. Not sure when they'll be available again.

Another vote for Fiberbuilt. I have been hitting off of a Fiberbuit Mat at my GolfTec lessons and thought it was the best mat I have ever hit off of. I often get sore wrists and aggravate my lead arm tennis elbow hitting off typical range mats that also leave an annoying green film on the sole of my irons. No wrist pain and my elbow is no worse than it was before. When the courses soon open I guess I will find out if my mat strikes can be replicated on grass. It would be interesting to hear others share their experience as to how close a Fiberbuilt mat is to hitting off of real turf?

I just set-up my 5' x 4' Single Hitting Performance Mat that arrived a couple weeks ago (needed to wait for the snow to melt). It took tops 15-mins to assemble even with fitting the 4 pieces of styrofoam in the zip tied base. I built a pressure treated plywood base supported by 2"x2" frame underneath so the mat can be leveled and keep it off the dirt.

I just noticed that it says that it is sold out. I ordered mine through speaking to a customer sales rep located in San Diego and it took about 4-days to arrive from North Carolina via FedEx to Toronto.

Comment

I looked at buying a fiberbuilt mat after looking at many options I asked a friend from my local golf course who also has a skytrack and what mat he bought for his basement .He went with a matzilla from all turf mats. I decided on the Ultimate Super Tee Golf Mat - 5 feet x 5 feet. I wanted to be able to use a real tee in it and that works great I've had it for say 18 months and isn't showing any wear. You can stand on the entire mat for every club in the bag and it's really stable and won't move around the only drawback I would say is if your major divot player it can grab the club pretty hard and skew numbers some but I'm no pro by any means and I've become use to it for that and I'm still happy with my purchase. I wouldn't take anything away from a fiberbuilt mat either they are very good quality if my setup was permanent I likely would of bought that buy I went middle of the road since my setup isn't permanent and felt the cost savings for a mat that holds a real tee and was 5x5 giving up maybe a little of the real feel of turf was a compromise to take at this time for me until I can have something set up all the time

Comment

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought the ATF Matzilla that was 5x5 a few years ago. I hit on it as much as I could tolerate, but I wasn’t a fan of how the club interacted with the mat in such as harsh manner. I ended up purchasing a 1’x3’ fiberbuilt insert and cutting it to fit into the fiberbuilt mat. I cannot be more pleased with the result.

• silverado101980
        silverado101980 commented
        Editing a comment
        teamacacia I would agree it can be harsh the insert part would be a good idea and replaceable if needed thank you something for me to think about in the future if I ever get things setup permanent

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        I offset the mat ever so slightly so that I am not hitting in the exact center of the fiberbuilt insert. As such, I can effectively rotate each 1’ tile to all four sides as it wears out. 4 sides and 3 separate tiles = 12x lifespan for the hitting surface. My Golftec center has fiberbuilt and their hitting surface is fairly worn.
        I will try and attach a photo below (the dot is in the center of the mat in the pic, but I have moved the mat position slightly to get the offset I mentioned.

Comment

My hitting bay has Truestrike, Fiberbuilt, and Country Club Elite mat all set up. Fiberbuilt is my favorite. See the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueGolferNorth View Post
          My hitting bay has Truestrike, Fiberbuilt, and Country Club Elite mat all set up. Fiberbuilt is my favorite. See the photo.
          Very nice!

Comment

Well I guess I'm the other person now who didnt like the Fiberbuilt practice station... The actual hitting area felt above the feet to me, which consequently made me push shots to the left consistently. I took about 200 hits on it, put my old DIY mat with the CCE strip in and was back to normal hitting my normal fade-biased shot. I returned it the next day.

I would say the quality seemed pretty nice, however I can say it did remind me of hitting off of the bristles of a broom. Oh well. full refund, so no harm no foul.

Comment

• TrueGolferNorth
              TrueGolferNorth commented
              Editing a comment
              I see some you said; Fiberbuilt does take some time to get used to, especially for 3w on the deck- the feel is quite different and I tend to top the call and launch super low. But no mats are perfect. FB is still the best overall in my opinion.

I just bought my sim system from AllSportsystems and bought their 4x5 TallTurf mat. They claim you can use regular tees on it. I'll see how that goes, if it sucks I guess I eat it and buy a FB later.

Comment

Wondering if anyone has enough knowledge to compare my mat to a fiberbuilt and let me know if I would see a big difference? Is this just a different brand CCE? I haven't had any pain, and the feedback it gives is pretty spot on for fat and thin shots.

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Comment

• teamacacia
                teamacacia commented
                Editing a comment
                Biggest issue might be how thick the mats are overall. The fiberbuilt is something like 1.75” thick, and the mat you linked on amazon looks thinner than that. My ultimate all turf mat is right at the same thickness as the fiberbuilt so it blends nicely.

Aside from the comfort issues with some of these mats, do you notice an appreciable difference in shot accuracy with the 3? I know folks on here have claimed that the mat can effect ball strike numbers, i.e., solid strikes still coming up short on carry distance, etc. Do you find the fiberbuilt is better along those lines too?

Comment

Don't overy think this. Just buy the fiberbuilt mat and save yourself some headache. If you get a cce mat that will turn into an expensive stance mat cause your going to want fiberbuilt. I have the 4 section strip. Did I say buy fiberbuilt? Hey you should get fiberbuilt! Lol

Comment

Fiberbuilt gives very good numbers with respect to ball spin and speed etc. It punishes fat shots well enough without killing your joints. I even noticed my SkyTrak seems to have fewer misreads with FB then the CCE I was using. I suspect the dark green fibers provide a better contrast with the white balls.

The only downside is putting and even this works well enough for me that I use it when playing TGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Coz View Post
                    Don't overy think this. Just buy the fiberbuilt mat and save yourself some headache. If you get a cce mat that will turn into an expensive stance mat cause your going to want fiberbuilt. I have the 4 section strip. Did I say buy fiberbuilt? Hey you should get fiberbuilt! Lol
                    I've already using a TallTurf mat from AllSportSystems that seems to be fine and holds real tees. I was only curious as to what significant benefit the FB mat adds at such a high cost.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                      Wizard of Coz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Im free of tendinitis in my elbow and that is priceless. Trust me you don't want that wonderful experience. I'm 99.9% sure I got it from my cce and it holds a tee. My back doesn't hurt anymore either. That mat was beautiful but not anything like taking a divot outdoors way too resistant. That's my 2 cents knock yourself out just saying.

• wbond
                      wbond commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Significant benefit is pain free, if you are prone to elbow, wrist, shoulder issues.

If I start getting the same symptoms as you, I guess it's time to try a FB.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan King View Post

Aside from the comfort issues with some of these mats, do you notice an appreciable difference in shot accuracy with the 3? I know folks on here have claimed that the mat can effect ball strike numbers, i.e., solid strikes still coming up short on carry distance, etc. Do you find the fiberbuilt is better along those lines too?
                      I have used all three extensively and I have not seen that one is longer than the other when I hit a solid shot. I use SkyTrak of course. CCE hurts my elbows and penalizes fat shot too much - not just on distance but also on my body. TrueStrike has durability issue, plus it does not feel super stable to stand and swing clubs on, but the feel is the best and most close to real fairway when the gel station is new. FiberBuilt is very durable, feel super stable to stand on. I now use FB almost 100% of the time. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have used all three extensively and I have not seen that one is longer than the other when I hit a solid shot. I use SkyTrak of course. CCE hurts my elbows and penalizes fat shot too much - not just on distance but also on my body. TrueStrike has durability issue, plus it does not feel super stable to stand and swing clubs on, but the feel is the best and most close to real fairway when the gel station is new. FiberBuilt is very durable, feel super stable to stand on. I now use FB almost 100% of the time. Hope this helps.
                        That is helpful, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X