Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weighing the advantages of GC2 vs. SkyTrak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing the advantages of GC2 vs. SkyTrak?

Looking at the possibility of getting a GC2 to replace a SkyTrak. Truth be told. I really like my SkyTrak.
    I havent had really any issues with my ST.

I hit lots of balls outside from about 100 yards in and have confidence the ST handles that fine to known distances.

- I am curious if users of both GC2 and Skytrak ( experience with both devices) have noticed ball speed differences between and club in the bag.
    - Any difference in spins rates throughout the bag?
    - Any difference in how the fades and draws and calculated.

The real question I guess is it worth the upgrade & why?

Any first hand knowledge from users of both would be greatly appreciated.
    Looking to make a decision today.

Thanks

Wyzyguy

I don't believe you'll regret your purchase. Former ST owner. Loved it. Love my GC2. I bought it with HMT. So, objectively speaking you'll be hard pressed to find the dollar value difference in the GC2 alone. I'd highly recommend the ST to anyone thinking about it. That said, I don't know of many folks who would go back to Skytrak after taking the GC2 plunge... I think I may have read a thread where one member did. The posts here are spot-on. The ball placement "window" is huge, shot delay is minimal, and you at least have the ability to add the HMT at some point. For me, the HMT was the deal breaker. But honestly? I'd go GC2 from the get-go if I'd known what I know now. You just have to get over the sticker shock. And a good used deal helps, despite the Foresight transfer fee...

Comment

Glad you got the gc2. You made a good choice. I never had a skytrak so I can't compare. I had the protee hardware before and before that I had the p3pro swing. I did research the skytrak, but when I saw the delay I decided against it because I know myself and that would have drove me nuts. For me the gc2 is very accurate and there is barely no delay with tgc maybe .75 seconds but it doesn't bother me at all. It's only because of the Bluetooth connection. As Bluetooth improves in the future it may not even have a delay so that's the least of it. As far as the HMT I think it's overkill. In my opinion, for better players ball data is far more important than club data. It actually does give you some club data which is good enough for me. Since I've had it I haven't had one misread. And I really like that. Also the launch data is really spot on. I can hit any shot I want and it reads it... You and I have played together I know your a good player and will appreciate the gc2. I'm sure the skytrak is really good as well especially for the price. I know gc2 was expensive even used.. mine is used and the cost to repair always seems to be 200 bucks per time according to aeroburner which I believe. But I have no regrets spending the money for the gc2 thus far. Look forward to playing with you again WYZ...

Comment

• Wyzyguy
        Wyzyguy commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem is I will probably keep them both which sounds crazy but I just do not know if I could part with the ST.. I may be my "Backup Unit" as an excuse... I really helped my game in the years time. I know why the ball does what it does now from feel and reps. Doesn't always go where I want but I know why! Thanks for chiming in!

Here the pic of the rails I mentioned in post #9.1

Comment

I have never regretted getting a new GC2, I think less issues overall, and makes sim play enjoyable,

Comment

• Wyzyguy
          Wyzyguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Boo... We will have to get a match going soon.

duplicate post

Comment

My used GC2 unit should arrive today.

I do love the Skytrak for what it is. I would say misreads are pretty rare, but as someone mentioned before, I'll get no reads more than I would like, although sometimes its just a matter of placing the ball behind the laser a half inch back and towards the unit, that usually fixes it (especially with low flyers).

Comment

Originally posted by Joko View Post
            My used GC2 unit should arrive today.

I do love the Skytrak for what it is. I would say misreads are pretty rare, but as someone mentioned before, I'll get no reads more than I would like, although sometimes its just a matter of placing the ball behind the laser a half inch back and towards the unit, that usually fixes it (especially with low flyers).
            As mentioned I do believe I have the best SkyTrak on the planet. They only no reads I get are on really short putts when I play without 6' gimmes. It reads short pitches, chips, flop, putts nice..etc..... It really came down to the fact that I want to use GC2 outside from turf for short game & driver, looking for the best data and I just wanted one. I work hard and that is that!!!! Plus I want to be cool like aeroburner !!!!! .. He is a boss... Thanks again for everyones input. You can see the tide changing on the Strak opinions & feedback. This has nothing to do with the quality or feedback from ST... I am just a golf nut..

Comment

• goatbarn
              goatbarn commented
              Editing a comment
              You're showing your true GolfWRX ho-ing colors there Wyz. You'll love the GC2.

• Stingreye
              Stingreye commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL I am doing my best impression of aeroburner I bought an Aeroburner mini-driver because my 3W and I are on the outs....

I had a skytrak for about 4 weeks before picking up a GC2. For the price, the Skytrak is one great, accurate machine.
            The amount of no reads / short put issues / delay was what I really didn't like.

The overall experience with the GC2 was much better for me. Being able to hit a ball and know my shot was going to be perfectly registered, every time... can't put a price on that.

Comment

Agreed with you doc

Comment

I believe I have one of the "golden" units. I think I was the second person to post receiving theirs in the beginning, now over 2 years. I don't think I ever get a no read and it can read a shank quite nicely. I think on occasion short flops may register offline. I have no issues reading very short chips in tgc with the short shot correction on, down to 1 yard of carry. I hit every shot from the laser dot from hi pitch to driver. I do think that if you have a high ball speed or low driver launch angle it might be problematic and need correction on placement of the ball. I have never used it on the same mat that I hit from and I think that helps as well. I consider myself very lucky with the unit that I got. They were probably at least a year or more too early though, but it's a great unit where it stands now for the price and with their current software. I've gotten over the $99 a year even though they specifically told me there would not be yearly fees. If you waggle you need to make sure the laser did not turn off, I have seen this happen with people using mine and it looks like a no read but the unit wasn't ready. They need something added like protee has for the waggle.

Comment

• docsmilez
                  docsmilez commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you have a GC2 unit in a Skytrak box =)

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yeah, don't know if it was because I got the initial shipment or what. I was supposedly talking with a higher up at skytrak when they were getting started and also a person at accusport when they were shutting down. I really do consider myself lucky with the unit that I got. Who knows being a golf ho, gc2 is never out of the question at some point.

I received my GC2 from aero this evening. Initial impressions of the hardware is delight. I pulled it out of the package and powered it up, without anything, hit a few balls, checked out the LCD output, looked right, easy peasy. It's been said time and time again, skytrak is darn close to GC2 in terms of accuracy. But the unit feels like a rock, as in solid. That does mean something to me as far as reliability, and toughness.

I am grateful skytrak has a more introductory product, for sure. You won't regret the purchase, and I wouldn't be surprised if you do end up selling the skytrak at some point.

Comment

Thumbs up Joko glad you are happy with the product that you received I enjoy seeing a smile from this and appreciate the trust on letting me help you, now get on the groups and lets hang out and have some fun playing some live rounds together, congrats on the GC2.

Comment

I am at the last few GC2 for sale and I am done with this if any one is interested in these please PM me

Comment

Here is an approach I am considering.

Buy a SkyTrak now to get up and running as a golf simulator Minimum Viable Product (I have a mat and net and gaming laptop). When I have the dough to upgrade to GC2 or something else, simply sell the SkyTrak on the open market, putting the proceeds towards the new device (they seem to hold their value exceptionally well). For someone who cannot shell out $6k right at the moment but wants to lower the launch angle of their 7 iron, this seems to make sense.

Thoughts?
                      Last edited by dack; 01-20-2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I did exactly that. I bought the SkyTrak and loved it for 2 years. My GC2 shows up shortly and I'm sure I'll love it, too. The main reason I went with it over the SkyTrak is to improve shot delay and to eliminate the occasional fiddling needed for short chips to register. Is that worth the price to upgrade? Maybe not, but hey, you only live once, and the delay has always annoyed the crap out of me.

Comment

Working...
                        X