Will slightly older CPU work OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will slightly older CPU work OK?

From what I've read hear it doesn't seem like the CPU's are worked that hard at all. I specifically have a machine w/ a 2.5GHz dual-core Pentium P5200.

With 8 GB of RAM and an upgraded video card (thinking of GTX1060), does anyone foresee any issues with TGW or E6?

Thanks.

Looks like you didn't get any responses. Did you end up upgrading the video card and if so, did the older processor work ok with it? I think you have a valid question, I would love to put one of my older laptops to work on the SkyTrak launcher and hope upgrading the video card would do the trick and make up for the slower processor speed.

Comment

Thanks for responding.

From what I understand it depends a lot on the particular software. TGC (for example) uses the GPU much more than the CPU, so probably would have bee OK. Not sure about e6 though.

Anyways, I ended up upgrading the cpu/motherboard. Very inexpensive to upgrade to a Ryzen 3. Only unexpected downside was having to upgrade to Windows 10. Didn't do the right research, I knew the newer Intel processors didn't support Windows 7 but was unaware it was the same for the newest AMD's.

Comment

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
        Thanks for responding.

From what I understand it depends a lot on the particular software. TGC (for example) uses the GPU much more than the CPU, so probably would have bee OK. Not sure about e6 though.

Anyways, I ended up upgrading the cpu/motherboard. Very inexpensive to upgrade to a Ryzen 3. Only unexpected downside was having to upgrade to Windows 10. Didn't do the right research, I knew the newer Intel processors didn't support Windows 7 but was unaware it was the same for the newest AMD's.
        Sounds good, thanks.

Comment

Just realize that (last I checked and don't think it's changed) it is generally not possible to update graphics on a laptop.

Comment

Working...
        X