No announcement yet.

Software Upgrades: Impact on PC Specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Upgrades: Impact on PC Specs?

Hi All

I’m just about to order the PC for my new sim build. I’m going to be installing both FSX and TGC.

From reading lots of useful and helpful posts, my understanding of required specs is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i5 (i7 future proof)

Memory: 8 GB RAM (16 GB future proof)

Graphics: NVidia GTX 1060 6GB (1070 / 1080 future proof)

My question, is whether the current / imminent software upgrades to FSX 2018 and / or TGC 2019 will make the “future proof” spec described above, a “required spec”. i.e. to run either FSX 2018 or TGC 2019, is an i7, 16GB RAM or 1070 card going to become required or will the new software versions still need the same spec as the older versions?

Thanks in advance, Dave

You will never be able to "Future Proof" your system but I know what you mean...will this be able to do what I want for the next 2 years. i7/16Gb/M2.SSD/1070ti or 1080 will keep you happy for a few years. Monthly there is new tech coming out (NVIDIA 11 series, new memory specs new motherboards), but I think your specs are fine.
    I develop software and build hardware for clients just PM me and queries.

Comment

• GoldenSim
      GoldenSim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input. I hear where you're coming from. And yes, I purely meant am I spec'ing a PC that will allow me to not worry about upgrades for 2-3 years. My real concern is whether the new software releases that we are seeing this year are going to change the recommended specs from either Foresight or ProTee. The cost of the i7/16GB/1070 is about $500+ more than the i5/8GB/1060 and at this stage in a total sim build that is $30k+ (including the room) saving $500 would be very good news. If I can stick with the lower spec and still run the new software without wishing I had a higher spec system, that would be great. I do not plan on using the system for anything other than the sim (I'm Mac based for work) and I do not see 4k being an option for me in the next 2 years.

That "lower spec" of yours is just fine and will remain so for a while. Almost always when you look at min requirements for a software, they are really quite low. We get so caught up on computer specs because we all want the best, and because we know when you try to use a computer that just doesn't meet the requirements, the playing experience really sucks, so we aim high. It's a good strategy, but no need to go overkill! Just to give you an example, I have a business laptop with a really wimpy mobile discreet graphics card... a 940MX and even that will run TGC and JNPG pretty well. The fans are going at full tilt, but it can do it. For simulator golf, it's all about the GPU basically. Recently I bought a second hand PC that had last generation's high end gpu - GTX980ti... it's about on par with the GTX 1070, but because my system was 2nd hand, everything cost a lot less. Not saying you should go that route, but not everyone thinks of that option

Comment

I have the same question and just posted my query in a separate thread - I should have put it here - I shall repost now
      New computer setup for GC2 and TGC combo

Today, 08:32 PM
      I am just completing setup for GC2 and TGC combo so buying a new computer. After endless hours of frustrating teach online and in stores of prebuilt and DIY setups I wonder if the following build is the proper choice for a reasonable price. The specs to this Micro Center computer are
      • Intel Core i7-8700K Processor 3.70GHz
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
      • 16GB DDR4-2400 RAM
      • 512GB Solid State Drive
      • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
      • 10/100/1000 Network
      • Intel Wireless-AC 3165
      • Bluetooth 4.2
      • Display Not Included

$1,599.99 SAVE $200.00
      $1,399.99 sale price

Any advice appreciated as I am about to pull the trigger.
      thanks
      Jim

Comment

Thanks for the notes.

I pulled the trigger on a new PC a week ago, with the following spec:
        • 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 6-Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.6 GHz) - 16GB RAM
        • 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
        • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB
        • Windows 10 Home
        I'm still waiting on delivery, and install, so I cannot give any feedback. It may be a little over required specs, but there was a decent deal on the build, and feedback on the processor (including a link to performance ratings) on another post was that this was the best option / bang for your buck.

It looks like a very similar spec to yours Jim, so I hope this is a good decision for us both.

Based on my research, I'd say go for it, but that is based on research rather than experience
        Dave

Comment

• Jim
          Jim commented
          Editing a comment
          I got the new computer and also a new projector Panasonic PT-VZ580 and ceiling mounted using 1900 X1200 resolution. I am delighted with the results and will attach photos to show difference before and after new projector ( old Hitachi VGA and 1200 lumens). Like night and day

It's a great system. More than needed for TGC but nothing wrong with that.

Comment

agree with FaultyClubs ...your systems' specs are both great GoldenSim & Jim ... you will have a great experience and lots of "future proofing"... insofar as that's never entirely possible lol

Comment

thanks FaultyClubs and gnomike - that's good to hear having made the order!!

Comment

I have got all the gear and now I am trying to put it all together. Used GC2 on ebay, rocket ship computer, and TGC software from a great guy on this forum. I was hoping installation would be easy but my new computer can't find the GC2 via bluetooth but my iPhone will find the GC2 so I know GC2 is ok. Any ideas on how to find correct the issue?

Comment

• GoldenSim
                GoldenSim commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jim - I've only just got my computer, and I don't have my GC2 yet, so I'm not going to be much help. My only suggestions, based on other comments on the forum, are to check that the GC2 is not connected to your phone when you're trying to connect to the computer. And if that does not work, and the computer is not in as close proximity, try a bluetooth dongle. I hope that helps, Dave

I got the new computer and also a new projector Panasonic PT-VZ580 and ceiling mounted using 1900 X1200 resolution. I am delighted with the results and will attach photos to show difference before and after new projector ( old Hitachi VGA and 1200 lumens). Like night and day. I have a TrueStrike mat on order and my system will be complete (for now)
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X