TGC 2019 PC Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC 2019 PC Requirements

Still really struggling with PC choices as I have no idea what the spec requirements mean.

I have read a few times on here that i5 processors can be as good as i7 depending on the gen. What is the earliest gen of i5 or i7 that I should be considering?

I note that the requirements reference 2.80 GHz and 3.20 GHz but PC specifications on ebay generally don't include this figure

Additionally, in terms of graphics, would it be preferable to have:

GTX 1060 6GB

GTX 1070 8GB

RTX 2060?

Comment

Any of those will be fine. I'm even using a 3GB GTX1060 on one computer with no noticeable ill effects - but that's just for the PC console version of the game, not the sim version. But I doubt the sim version is any more intensive in it's needs.

Comment

• Thebogeyman
        Thebogeyman commented
        Editing a comment
        What’s diff between GTX and RTX then for gameplay?

• StuartG
        StuartG commented
        Editing a comment
        RTX is just a newer generation architecture designation over the GTX.

PC requirements will depend on what you want to do now and into the future. The game engine scales really well to a number of setups. I would get a 1070 if you only want to push 1080P. You will be able to push 60+ FPS with ease with that setup on a 1080P projector. If you think down the road you’ll get a 4K Projector then I’d look more into a 1080/1080Ti if you can find a used one. If not, look to a 2070/2070Ti.

So thats the GPU. Now onto the CPU.....these Sim softwares are generally not real CPU dependent. However, if down the road you want to get into filming your swing via Kinovea where it will show you slo-mo etc after each swing, then I would look to atleast an i7 6700 or better. I recommend www.userbenchmark.com to look up and compare CPU/GPUs against each other.

Comment

Oh....and I’d get 16GB ram. Some reason TGC19 uses a decent portion of RAM.

Comment

And finally, HDD or SSD? I’ve found a website where you can build the desktop relatively cheaply, so can pick either

Comment

• JackedUpSwing
            JackedUpSwing commented
            Editing a comment
            SSD.... the answer is SSD..

Windows and games load so much faster.

• Thebogeyman
            Thebogeyman commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, that’s a bit pricier

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a decision that will have more effect on the load time - as opposed to the run time. SSD although much faster, also have a shorter lifespan so not as good for critical data storage (at least not w/o a regular backup policy). More common (and not as expensive) is use a smaller SSD for C: drive and the Windows installation - then use a bigger physical drive for data storage.

So the build, let me know if anything looks poor. This pc will be solely for using TGC 2019 on - it won't leave garage and I have no interest in playing other games on it.

Core i7-2600 (3.4/3.8 GHz)
          8GB DDR3
          nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
          240 GB SSD
          Windows 10 Home

£623. Extra £150 to upgrade to GTX 1070 8GB, let me know if that is worth it. Extra £90 to upgrade to 16GB DDR3
          Last edited by Thebogeyman; 04-15-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I don't know about "mostly". Only really for the programs that are designed to take advantage of the better multi-threading capabilities. Some of the newer games certainly BUT as I understand it, TGC2019 really isn't all that CPU intensive so probably not one of them. GPU's are so easy to parallelize now a days that many developers don't always put the effort into parallel cpu code.

• cooke23
            cooke23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. RAM and CPU are more aimed at whether a guy wants to possibly do more than just TGC. I know with certainty that if a chap wants to run TGC along with running swing camera software to playback slo-mo video on a separate monitor.....those are very CPU taxing. Regarding RAM, Windows 10 is becoming more and more bloated on RAM usage so 16GB I think is a decent futureproof decision. To each they own though.

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, lots of considerations. Although on that same note, a good reason to go with an older processor would be so they could run Windows 7 - especially if there is any desire to upgrade to a GC2 later on. Lots more problems in Win10 than W7 for the GC2 BT functionality. Although I think you'd have to go back to a 5th gen i series processor for that - don't think 6th gen is going back far enough.

100% On the RAM. My son has a 1060 6Gb. Let me test out TGC19 on his and see what the experience is. I can do that tomorrow night unless someone else can share some FPS. You just need it to be 60+ and stay there

Comment

• FaultyClubs
            FaultyClubs commented
            Editing a comment
            He's just running tgc. More ram won't make any difference.

The 6gb 1060 is proven performer on tgc. No need to make things complicated.

Originally posted by cooke23 View Post
          100% On the RAM. My son has a 1060 6Gb. Let me test out TGC19 on his and see what the experience is. I can do that tomorrow night unless someone else can share some FPS. You just need it to be 60+ and stay there
          Higher than 60 isn't going to make much difference unless the projector supports the higher refresh rates. With the PC console version of TGC2019 - I'm getting a steady 59-60 (as reported by Steam) with a 1060. And that's with a non-gaming monitor that only supports 60Hz refresh. Don't know if the limiting factor is the GPU or the monitor - I suspect the monitor but can't verify it.

Comment

• Thebogeyman
            Thebogeyman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for this. You will have already ascertained that I have no idea what I am speaking about but i have not yet bought a monitor. Hoping to buy a 1080 projector - not that bothered by 4k (unless I should be?)

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            That's really personal preference. High res or the best graphics aren't high on my personal priority list when it comes to simulator play but there are plenty out there who feel differently - or who want to use their set-up for other purposes like maybe for other games or even movies or other TV viewing.

That is correct. You just want to maintain higher than 60 so your projector will not show any stutter. The idea is get it to maintain 60+ and then set your TGC19 setting to VSYNC On. That will cap the GPU to only 60FPS since that is all your projector can handle anyways.

I would bet you have VSYNC on StuartG. Flip that off and you’ll see it show the true FPS number.

Comment

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try tonight.

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            With VSync off I did some testing - just on the driving range and I was getting on average 105-120 fps with the GTX1060.

Yeah, the range is pretty low hit. Try Muirfield from MTHUNT or my TCI of Iowa course. Not sure what those get for FPS on a 1060 6GB. Make sure to set it to Ultra settings as a baseline.

Comment

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            Just kept to the course I was already playing - but ranged from 85 - 110 during actual play.

Yep, that’s perfect. You can flip VSYNC back on and you’ll be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by cooke23 View Post
            Yep, that’s perfect. You can flip VSYNC back on and you’ll be good to go.
            And video memory usage maxed out at about 2.6 gb - and stayed pretty steady through the whole round. So the 3GB 1060's will work equally as well.

Comment

Eventually went ahead with the PC on ebay and its just arrived. Once again, realising how much of a noob I am as it doesn't come with a power supply! I assumed this was minimum requirement of an electronic item but oh well. So do I need a special form of supply for a gaming PC?

Comment

• StuartG
                StuartG commented
                Editing a comment
                That has nothing to do with being a noob - unless you're referring to the seller. Selling a computer w/o a power supply is completely ridiculous and extremely unprofessional IMO (and maybe even a bit suspicious). Well at least that's the case in the US - I shouldn't really speak to other customs throughout the world.

But to answer your question - the capacity of the supply will depend on the components and cooling systems - you should be able to get a good idea of the wattage needed here (my best guess would be a 550 to 600 watt would be a safe minimum): https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-s...age-Calculator

The particular case may impose some other restrictions so it's hard to be to specific. A link to the ebay listing may help.
                Last edited by StuartG; 04-25-2019, 07:00 PM.

• Thebogeyman
                Thebogeyman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks both. These are the details from the Ebay listing:

Gigabyte G1 gaming Z170X motherboard

I7 6700 4Ghz with cooler master water cooler

Aurus GTX 1080 8Gb with copper backplate

16GB HYPERX 2400Mhz DDR4 ram

Antec 750W GOLD PSU

Runs at 22degrees at idle digital temperature monitor

Have a 3 week return option so keen to get it up and running soon.

• StuartG
                StuartG commented
                Editing a comment
                Then it should have included a power supply (Antec 750W GOLD PSU). Are you sure it's missing? Maybe it just didn't include a power cable?

Probably should contact the seller.

I'm in the same boat.
              Trying to decide between these two. What do you think guys is the cheaper one good enough? Kids will want to play games on it no doubt.

Comment

• StuartG
                StuartG commented
                Editing a comment
                Likely plenty good enough for TGC2019 - although it doesn't say exactly which variant of the i5 it uses. Definitely fine if it's any of the more recent variants - which is likely considering it's a pretty new graphics card chipset. Can't say what the kids games might need.
                Last edited by StuartG; 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM.
            Working...
            X