Windows 10 Pro vs Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Pro vs Home

Is anyone using Windows 10 pro? If so does it keep the settings you have when Windows updates? Every time Windows 10 Home updates, it resets my settings and I have to go back through my system to get everything working as it was before the update. I am tired of trying to log into TGC 2019 and having it tell me I don't have stuff running that I know I do, and having to go in and reset everything so the game doesn't lock up or just to play a round.

Pro only adds a few features you won’t use. What settings are getting lost? I rarely have issues unless the update changes my Bluetooth port.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to reset the com port, and the power setting.

• Stingreye
      Stingreye commented
      Editing a comment
      I imagine that would happen with pro too. I have only seen that reset on major updates (creators edition update). Hopefully they will have out how not to mess that up for us in the future.

I have home on 2 computers and pro on another. For a home user there is no meaningful difference. Actually I would have stayed with win 7 but my sim computer came with win 10 so I changed the other two just to keep in sync. BTW you can still get a free change to win10 from win 7. I just did it about a month ago.
    Last edited by Ronsc1985; 05-27-2019, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I have Windows 10 home on all my systems, I was just thinking back to Windows XP Professional which would run programs that the home version would not. I do know that from what I have read on the information on Windows Pro it does allow you to regulate the updates, not just kick it in when they want it to.

Comment

Oh my Windows XP is not even supported anymore, Windows 7 coming to end of life. If you want to use XP for other old software get Win 10 pro and install Hyper-V it should work maybe depends on if some certain hardware is needed. Next MS looks like they are changing how they do updates and it's not often would a update ever reset everything. Next if you use GSX - when done golfing shut TGC leave GC2 running and disconnect GSX and shut it down then shut down the GC2 then shut down windows. That should help a lot. Next TGC 2019 seems to reset on it's own it has only happens to me once when I updated my video driver. You should just stay up to date on updates you'll be better off in the long run. One more thing find out how to change the power options on the Bluetooth and make sure it never sleeps or shuts off. It will help so much.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
          BGCurtis2nd commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know why it is doing it, but I know Windows updated and now I am back to where I started. I don't shut Windows down I leave my system running all the time. I started working on computers back in the early 70's and have had computers ever since. I currently have 5 systems and am only having problems with my sims system, first thing I do on any of my systems is go in and setup the power settings so everything stay on. After the update I had to go in and redo my com ports and firewall. Not found as to why it will not let me run TGC 2019 everything looks to be set properly, and even though I first turn on my GC2, then the Pro Tee interface, then go into GSX and make sure it is connected, TGC 2019 can not find it and will not start up. I have tried everything I went through the last two times to get it up and running but this time I am not having any luck at it.

• Mxwoodman
          Mxwoodman commented
          Editing a comment
          Do a search on windows 10 Bluetooth power management just to make sure you have it setup so it never turns off, I had issues with the Bluetooth/GSX on my older computer with WIn10 and its a pain when it loses it settings. The shut down process is important (GSX and GC2) - well at least I think so, I also turn my machine off when I'm done. We I had the issue with it losing the com settings - one thing that help I went back and removed all the old unused com ports and were getting created every time I had re setup the Bluetooth - that seem to help.

• BGCurtis2nd
          BGCurtis2nd commented
          Editing a comment
          I have gone in deleted com ports, reset all my settings and still having problems. My camera shows on screen with me hitting the ball but when I try to record I get a black screen. I think I am going to update from my AMD to an Intel i9.

How can you get the update? I'm looking to switch to the uneekor and it says I need windows 10 for that. I'm currently running win 7.
        Originally posted by Ronsc1985 View Post
        I have home on 2 computers and pro on another. For a home user there is no meaningful difference. Actually I would have stayed with win 7 but my sim computer came with win 10 so I changed the other two just to keep in sync. BTW you can still get a free change to win10 from win 7. I just did it about a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
          How can you get the update? I'm looking to switch to the uneekor and it says I need windows 10 for that. I'm currently running win 7.

I used this https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/ about two or so months ago and it worked perfectly

Comment

Not sure what is going on, but I just ordered a new motherboard and an Intel i9 CPU and 32 GB of ram also ordered Windows 10 Pro. GPU and everything else will go back in.

Comment

Youngest daughter wanted a door for her laundry shoot that matched the rest of the doors in her house only smaller, so I designed one on my computer, the same computer I use in my sims room. I saved the design to a USB drive then took it over to my nephew's place, had to move my CNC over to his place due to lack of room at mine, plus he is building his wife new cabinets. We went to do the door and found the code would not work, looked as if though it were written in a foreign language, we had to redo everything on his computer which wasn't hard, but looks like there is a fault in my computer somewhere causing the problems so rebuilding it I would say is the way to go. Did not know what was going on when I started this post, at that time was only having problems with my sims software that I knew of, so thought I should let everyone know what is going on.

Comment

Got all the parts in to build my new system, while mounting the CPU cooler I had one of the bolts snap on the mounting plate. I call New Egg to see what options I had and the only one was to send the whole CPU cooler back and let them replace it, which is what I did. Now I see an add from New Egg for mounting kits for that CPU cooler! I would have gladly bought one and had them ship it to me just to get the new system up and going, I am still waiting on them to get the old one and ship the new one out.
                In the meantime I rebuilt the old system and installed the older
                ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 T8G Gaming Top OC Edition GDDR5 DP HDMI DVI VR Ready AMD Graphics Card, and the system works fine Aspire 9.5 now runs great with no problems in 4K and all. I am wondering if by chance the AMD software for the AMD gaming motherboard wasn't causing a problem with the ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card. Seems with all AMD chips system works fine, new system will be all Intel so hoping it all matches up nicely. I did find out that you can eliminate the 20% reserve Windows has on your internet transmission easily in Windows Pro along with a few other tricks to speed things up.

Comment

Originally posted by BGCurtis2nd View Post
                  Is anyone using Windows 10 pro? If so does it keep the settings you have when Windows updates? Every time Windows 10 Home updates, it resets my settings and I have to go back through my system to get everything working as it was before the update. I am tired of trying to log into TGC 2019 and having it tell me I don't have stuff running that I know I do, and having to go in and reset everything so the game doesn't lock up or just to play a round.
                  The main difference between Windows Pro and Home is that there is no audio player in the Windows Pro N build. Consumers and PC manufacturers can opt for this version of Windows and install their favorite multimedia applications without Windows Media Player. So it makes Windows Pro N unique and special, which is very easy to use and for some people, very complex. For example, people who know how to use a computer will find it easy to download a new media player, but people who do not have IT capabilities will not. You can find more information about windows Pro N at TechPlagged.com
                  Last edited by twix228; 01-29-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
                    BGCurtis2nd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the information, I have had it up and running for some time now.
                Working...
                X