Computer nightmare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer nightmare!

Took my computer to Office Depot to have it checked out, other than being returned with drool all over it the techs all said it checked out great no problems, and all I needed to do was reset the CMOS and it works fine. I told them I had done that several times, but they insisted that it was in perfect shape and everything checked out fine. I get it home and hook it back up only to have it do the same thing it was doing before I took it in, locks up no video out put, and I have to kill the power and let it set for a while, power it back up hit the CMOS reset and it will run for awhile then start all over again. I called New Egg and talked to them they said it was an intermittent problem with the motherboard. We talked it over I ordered a new mother board and got a RMA number for the old motherboard to be sent back. New motherboard came in, I had the old one ready to go so UPS dropped off the new one and picked up the old one. I put the system back together with the new motherboard, then fired it up and started downloading all the software I have to reinstall. Everything checked out perfect, started my downloads, and the system rebooted, and now does so about every 10 minutes or so! New problem and still no idea as to why! I use UserBenchmark to check out both systems, getting 125% rating for a Gaming, 145% for Desktop, and 142% for Workstation. CPU rating 125%, and a UFO rating for all three. I got 130% for the video-card, 286% for the M.2, and 113% for the RAM, and everything test out as being in working order, it just will not work! Looks like it is going back to Office Depot, and see what they can find I am at a loss.

Do you have any devices plugged in to it? Did you try turning on with just Keyboard,mouse monitor. If that works add devices 1 at a time with a reboot in between. If it is doing the same on new mobo then it is other hardware causing issue.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      Keyboard and mouse, that's it.

Have you tried another M.2 drive?

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      No I have not, took it to Office Depot to have everything checked, needless to say it is going back. Trying my best to narrow it down to which item is at fault.

Hi, what's the make & model of your psu? If it's not gold rated it might not be outputting consistent voltage, or perhaps it's faulty?

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      Rosewill PHOTON Series 1050W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold, everything test out on it fine.

• ganders75
      ganders75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could be that, apparently they have a bit of a history of dodgy ripple under load.

When you say everything tests out on it fine, are you running memtest86+, prime95, Futuremark or just UserBenchmark which you mentioned? Ideally, you need to get your system under load and then keep it there - I'd normally do mine for 24hrs or more on memtest86 prior to installing an OS on it. For sure I'm not saying it's a defo - but if you have another PSU around in a different machine (or can pinch a loaner from a friend ;o) then try it and see if you get the same problems. If it's dodgy memory, then the 24hrs test on Memtest86+ should come up with something... If it was the mobo which was the problem, it might have taken something else out with it...

It could also just be a heat issue, but you've already replaced the mobo so have re-seated the CPU and are still getting the same/similar problem... What codes are you getting - that might help to identify the culprit. Go into your system properties and disable the "auto restart on error" or whatever it's called - then it will blue-screen and you can see the fault. Sound like you know what you're doing - but just in case someone else finds this thread with a similar problem: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Cheers

Took the system in to have it tested, they did a load test on the power supply and it checked out OK, codes that had been coming up were just stander run codes, " IDE detected" and such nothing that really shows any kind of a problem. I ran a full burn in on it and everything shows it as fine, just did a complete reinstall of Windows and running diagnostics on it again so far everything show clean. Built my first computer back in 1972, and I built that one, had to solider everything in place no plug and play there, so I have been doing this for awhile but as I tell people, I can always learn something new.

Comment

• ganders75
      ganders75 commented
      Editing a comment
      The BSOD that comes up when you change that system setting and then it crashes will also have a code on it. Google that, and you'll get all sorts of info. If it's consistently the same thing/component, RMA that. If it's different then I'd be thinking heat, memory or power issue.

Cheers

• BGCurtis2nd
      BGCurtis2nd commented
      Editing a comment
      Finally got some thing to go with, "VGA not detected" first truly valid code I have gotten, locked up solid, one long beep followed by three short ones. Tried reboot three times same results, so I pulled my video card went to on-board HDMI and it is running great. Just got off the phone with ASUS got the RMA number and am sending it in for repairs.

Turns out it was something in the video card causing all the problems, on-board video will run TGC 2019 and all but I am stuck with one monitor and it will not work with my projector. Did a bench mark on it and Gaming System went from UFO down to a Surf Board. Will take from 7 to 10 days to fix it once it gets there, then what ever time it takes to ship back. So I went ahead and ordered a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD to use so I can play on FSX 2019 till I get my video card back, then one of the grandsons will get an update to the video on his system.

Comment

This has to be the worst computer build I have ever had to deal with! Wife and I played 9 holes on my Viburnum course yesterday and other than finding what may be a bug that added 23 strokes to my game we had fun and no computer problems. She went grocery shopping and I played another 9 holes while waiting on my new video card, game played great no lock ups or anything like I had on my old system, everything ran great. Got a bit warm in the sims room so when she got back from shopping we went to Menards and got a new window Air-conditioner. We get back home to find the sims computer off so I tried to restart it only have it come up with "No boot-able drive found on this system!", so here we go again, and I haven't install the new video card was going to do that this morning.

Comment

I have replaced everything on this computer but the case and power supply, thought I had it fixed wife and I played almost 14 holes and now no Bluetooth. Windows had to pop up with an "Update you need to reboot." now I have no Bluetooth and when I try to reload the drivers that came with the motherboard I am told the best drivers are already on my computer! I guess I will order a new case, nothing else I have replaced that look to be the problem has helped. I have had everything tested on this system and it all checks out fine I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Comment

Got it back up and going, had to go into "Device Manager" delete all my USBs and then reboot, Windows reinstalled all the drivers and it is now back up and running just fine, the wife and I got in another 9 holes.

Comment

Wow. I probably would have picked that pc up and dropped it on the cement from 2 stories up. Then I would have driven to best buy and bought a new pc with gtx1070 or greater card. I lack patience with that kind odd stuff.

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
              BGCurtis2nd commented
              Editing a comment
              This has to be the worst one I have ever built, I started back in the early 70s, first one I built I had to solider the components onto the motherboard. Target practice has crossed my mind a few tines with this one.
          Working...
          X