Which Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Laptop

Before i start, I know a built tower is a better option, however for my current situation where my wife will be using this laptop as well, compromises must be made...

I'm hoping that Prime Day yields some good deals, however I've got my eye on a few laptops.

MSI GL73: i5 8300H RTX 2060 $1,199
    HP Omen: i7 9750H (Newest architechture) GTX 1660Ti: $1,099
    HP Omen: i7 8750H (older architecture) RTX 2060: $1,276

My main concerns are somewhat odd. I know each of these will do just fine with TGC2019 (Planning on getting that later in the Fall). HP's are notorious for coming with ton's of bloat-ware. MSI has been reported to have a less than desirable battery life (something my wife may be upset with, also I really don't want to have to drag the cord out each time when i set up my sim in the garage)

On paper the the Omen with the rtx-2060 is the best performer and the price differential likely is worth it. I've looked into other ones, (ASUS Rog Z, Acer Helios, Alienware) but most of those are around the $1350+ range. I also looked at some laptops with some gtx 1070's but their price and performance when compared to a 1660Ti doesnt really hold up in my opinion.

Any reassuring thoughts on my listed three here would be great. I've never used an MSI product before so curious to hear if anyone has before. I've had ton's of HP's for business and a few for personal. Each were a pain with their built in nanny software.

I use an MSI for my setup it's great runs everything fine, your comment on the battery life is probably correct but I think once you start any application that uses the gaming GPU your battery runtime on any laptop will struggle. I am lucky if I can get 6 holes in on TGC running on the battery it just sucks the power, using the shared intel graphics for normal laptop type work it lasts about 4-5 hours.
    I bought a second power supply which I leave in my sim room so no need to lug power supplies around.

Comment

Any thoughts on this laptop for Skytak TGC 2019

Dell new G3 15: i5-9300H ; GTX 1660 Ti 6GB ; 8GB 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz; 512GB SSD $879

Comment

Wow thats a pretty good deal for that! If I had to pick on it in any way, I think I'd say it would be better to have 16GB of Ram than the supplied 8 but that likely won't be an issue to upgrade in the future.

Comment

They have it with 16 GB for $200 more on Dell Website

$1079
          • 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (12MB Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 cores)
          • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
          • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
          • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
          • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
          Trying to decide if I could get away with 8gb and an extra $200 I could put towards TGC 2019

Comment

You are also getting an i7 vs an i5 with that $200. so its not the ram

Comment

Great News Everyone! I was able to talk my wife into letting me build a computer instead of the laptop!!! I ordered the components today and I think I'm going to be well set up for the future. Here is the build:

CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 core 3.7ghz
              GPU: MSI RTX 2070 6GB ARMOR OC
              RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200 Corsair
              MOBO: ASRock x370 Killer SLI
              730W PSU
              Cooler Master Mid-rise ATX Tower

Going to plunder my other computers for SSD's and HDD's... And I need to try and get Microsoft to get me my key to transfer my Windows 10 OS to this computer...
              With my provided components, I'm just under $1,100 total invested. This setup should rip!

Comment

Working...
              X