Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP HELP HELP: Simplest answer wins a thank you

Hi,

I am looking for a laptop to run TGC 19 with Skytrak through a Optoma DARBEE projector. I have been through the forums but keep getting confused. I just want a laptop to run TGC 19 without any stuttering and I am as always looking for a good deal.

Can someone please put an end to my searching and let me know simply the laptop (has to be laptop) I should buy?

Happy sim swinging

Currently on clearance.

Comment

What is your budget? I just went through this and determined that I could do better building my own PC. I have a few right now that would be good for you that are at or below that Laptop that was listed by Deuce.
      The first two come with rtx 2060's which are definitely more than you would need to just play TGC2019 in 1080p, likely not enought to smoothly play in 4K. The last is a great deal for a new Dell G3 with a 144hz monitor and a 1660ti graphics card and i7 processor.
      HP Omen: https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Inch-i7...ateway&sr=8-3&
      MSI GL73 8SE: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL73-8SE-...ay&sr=8-8&th=1
      Dell G3:
      Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Comment

If you go PC, I just did a ton a research and bought this one for $1200 at Best Buy over 4th of July, could try to find a deal again or open box

Comment

On paper that seems like a good value, however the Ram that is used, PSU, and MOBO are all question marks. Additionally the case has little ventilation as its actually designed as a water-cooled case. My recommendation would be to pass on that particular computer unless you plan on dumping more money into it later or replacing the case, Ram and Mobo

Comment

Originally posted by SkeetShooter View Post
            On paper that seems like a good value, however the Ram that is used, PSU, and MOBO are all question marks. Additionally the case has little ventilation as its actually designed as a water-cooled case. My recommendation would be to pass on that particular computer unless you plan on dumping more money into it later or replacing the case, Ram and Mobo
            really? in regards to the cyberpower? 16GB RAM; what is wrong with MOBO? can see the ventilation point; however won't be running long periods of time. thought it was pretty solid; do you have a better PC option? i could still return this

Comment

After I wrote that, I realized you said you own it. I didnt mean to come off like a douche, so if I offended, i do apologize. I don't think you should return that PC, $1200 is a heck of a deal for all of that. I built mine for just under that with out peripherals, but I did build it for performance not looks.

What I was saying is that the case has inherent flaws, as its a case that is set up for primarily water cooling and your ventilation appears to be mostly a positive pressure situation. You can rectify that if you are able to exhaust the majority of the air out.

Regarding the RAM and MOBO... I don't know what exact board that is (perhaps you can tell me) and the ram is a DDR 2400 which is likely running around 2167-2200, which will not help out the Ryzen 7 that is equipped with that mobo. 3200 is reported to be the sweet spot as most of the time the MOBO will run it at 2997mhz. RAM speed contributes mightily to the performance of your CPU. So its not just the amount of RAM you have but how efficient and fast it's running.

Regarding the PSU, the only reason I said anythign about that is efficiency and warranty related. What is the power efficiency rating on it? If its not 80 Plus Bronze or better, you could be looking at a very inefficient PSU which can in turn run hot (also adding to heat issues in your case)

Comment

• keither5150
                keither5150 commented
                Editing a comment
                I recently upgraded my rig. I went back to AMD Ryzen 5 3rd gen due to the price difference compared to Intel. The Ryzen runs really cool even at boost speeds (4.2 GHz) 7nm really makes a difference. My board supports the 32 MB ram @3200 MHz. I also went with PCI express M.2 SSD. I also have a RTX 2080. This computer loads TGC 2019 in 9 or 10 seconds. I realize that this may be overkill. I built it to test two GSA Vistraks on a single computer. @ Trainor Most cases allow for additional fans to be added easily.

• SkeetShooter
                SkeetShooter commented
                Editing a comment
                2080? $$$ Nice bud! I was thinking if architecture ever supports it in the future, I may go all AMD and get some 5700XT's and run them in SLI... My board supports it, but I think as of right now the XT can't SLI... My 2070 runs very high FPS on some AAA titles, although I'm a bit limited by the monitor I'm running... I built mine so I was future proof and really so that if and when TGC has a sale on 2019... I could take advantage of that in the future.

All good. You are certainly talking over my head and know more than I. I think I get it now. Will be prepared to replace MOBO and add more ventilation if needed.

Comment

Thank you for this lads, I will wait until Prime Day hopefully there is some bargains to be had. On reviews it looks like the MSI or the Omen seem the best. It has to be laptop as it will be a dual purpose for work and the the sim easier to get past my accountant (the wife)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by SkeetShooter View Post
                  What is your budget? I just went through this and determined that I could do better building my own PC. I have a few right now that would be good for you that are at or below that Laptop that was listed by Deuce.
                  The first two come with rtx 2060's which are definitely more than you would need to just play TGC2019 in 1080p, likely not enought to smoothly play in 4K. The last is a great deal for a new Dell G3 with a 144hz monitor and a 1660ti graphics card and i7 processor.
                  HP Omen: https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Inch-i7...ateway&sr=8-3&
                  MSI GL73 8SE: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL73-8SE-...ay&sr=8-8&th=1
                  Dell G3:
                  https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gami.../gnslk5crg309s

You guys are a HUGE help...It's been over a decade since I've owned a PC, and I'm lost trying to step from an iPad running basic SkyTrak to a dedicated TGC2019 laptop. SO THANK YOU!

I really like what I see with the HP and the Dell. This thing will sit in my sim room, and *maybe* go on trips with me to do course design (airline pilot always killing time in hotel rooms). That's it.

Dogs, have you committed one way or the other?

Skeet, if you had to pick one, which would it be? Also, you mentioned this one in another thread "HP Omen: i7 9750H (Newest architechture) GTX 1660Ti: $1,099".....better than HP in quote above??

Thanks again!
                  Last edited by 968Cab; 08-17-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• kalcormier
                    kalcormier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would go with i7, rtx 2060 or 70 graphics card, and solid state drive

• SkeetShooter
                    SkeetShooter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If I had to choose, I'd take the Omen. As Kal said below. a 2060 or 2070 is the way to go, but most 2070's in laptops are extremely expensive. The Omen is a good one to go with, although prices went back up again
                Working...
                X