AMD Ryzen vs Intel Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen vs Intel Compatibility

Just out of curiosity, why are some software packages not compatible with the AMD processors? I know Uneekor and Foresight both say AMD processors aren't compatible. I was considering building a new pc and you get a much better bang for your buck with AMD. Just wondering.

thats interesting... i wasnt aware of that. ive just built my gaming pc and its a AMD ryzen 9 3900x.... monster of a thing. no way im changing. ill just have to stick with the skytrak if that really is the situation....

Comment

I'm not sure why the AMD chip would make any difference. It's the OS and graphics card that make the difference. Maybe they optimized it for Intel based CPU's, but AMD chips should work just fine for any of the units out there.

Comment

• linkkingx
        linkkingx commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah that's what I thought but Uneekor for example specifically says AMD is not compatible:

"CPU: Intel i5 8400 or higher (AMD is not compatible)"

My feeling is that they probably just say that because they don't want to support it, but I'm not sure. Does anybody out there have an AMD processor running either the Uneekor software or FSX? I have a Skytrak now and I'm pretty sure I'm upgrading to a GC2 and will probably never shell out the dough for FSX, but I also don't want to have to tack on another $1K for a new PC if I do.

I was surprised by the Uneekor video where they said intel only. I have the 3900x in my office and love the build that I was able to get. Its a great CPU and it amazes me how much of a leap AMD has taken with their latest product (this was my first time buying an AMD).

Comment

There should be nothing in the AMD chip that would cause Uneekor to not work. AMD and Intel are very similar multi-core CPU's and so long as you have a compatible OS and capable GPU you should be fine. I suppose they could have a "check" in their software to look for Intel processors, but it would be odd that they would make that a requirement.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on Uneekor QED and now have to get a PC. I know this is an older thread but has anyone tried an AMD based build with the QED (or EYE XO)?

Comment

• mdprince
            mdprince commented
            Editing a comment
            leibin Any issues with the AMD processor and Uneekor? Thanks!

• leibin
            leibin commented
            Editing a comment
            No issues at all - works like a champ!

• mdprince
            mdprince commented
            Editing a comment
            Phenomenal! I just ordered a Ryzen 7 5800x with a 6800XT graphics card. Can't wait to get 4k on the big screen.

Eye XO does not have the same limitation. At least according to the UK distributor:
          ​​​​​http://www.golftechsystems.com/colle...-july-delivery

Comment

Well, got the QED yesterday, installed it, installed the software without a hitch - running great on a Ryzen 2600 with an RX580 8G. I also installed the demo of E6 - I need to play with the quality settings a bit (just played it out of the box) and the graphics were great, no studder. I'll add that it's probably best to stick with the vendor's specs but I had already built this out prior to switching from my yet to be delivered Skytrak to the QED.
            Last edited by leibin; 11-20-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Odd that uneekor still list this as an issue with AMD processors. Especially since AMD seems to have leapfrogged Intel in terms of the high-end CPU.

I do plan on upgrading my computer to a 5600x with either a 6800xt or 3080 depending on whatever gets in stock. At this rate I might be vaccinated against covid before I find those components.
              My courses:
              Aldeen
              Butler National
              Cantigny
              Canyata
              Cog Hill #4
              Harbor Shores
              Harborside
              Naperville Country Club
              Prairie Landing
              Rich Harvest Farms
              Ruffled Feathers
              Shoreacres

Comment

• leibin
                leibin commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL, they're still hard to find, eh? I bought a 3900x when they came out, but it took weeks to find it in stock for the 15 minutes it would last

• preludesam
                preludesam commented
                Editing a comment
                I would guess this has something to do with clock speed versus core count. AMD has done a really good job over the last two years increasing core counts (changes to Infinity Fabric) for their CPUs but if the software designers do not write the program to take advantage of the extra cores then it's a mute point. Historically Intel has focused on clock speed using less cores. Both have their advantages but still end up limited base on software. AMD's current Ryzen 2 and 3 lineup has achieved both clock speed and core count so in my opinion you should be good. Most of the recommendations manufacturers make are to keep people from buying the lowest budget stuff and then the user having a really poor experience. A 5600x does not fit in that category.

mdprince Just want to see if you have had any issue with your AMD rig once installed?

Comment

Working...
              X