All-in-One (AIO) Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-in-One (AIO) Computer?

I am not a tech guy, I live in excel and that is about it so please excuse my naive question. Can an All-in-one computer system be built with sufficient specs to play TGC, E6, etc on a launch monitor? It would be nice to have an AIO wall mounted instead of a PC that sits in a case then feeds a monitor.

Is it a cooling issue, cost issue, inability to fit the hardware, etc that makes it so rare to see a gaming AIO unit?

Thanks

Someone with more knowledge might be able to explain better but my experience with the AIOs is that, whatever you buy is just about as far as you'll go with respect to processor, video card, etc. Just about the only thing that you can change out on those things is the RAM. AND, the big item for the golf sims is a better video card. You may not be able to find the right combination that will work right for the golf sims and I'm talking about performance of the computer.

Hope that helps,
    Jon in American Fork

Comment

I am sure there is a good reason, lots of smart people avoiding that space for a reason. Maybe it is the ease of interchangability and upgrades. With a regular PC changing the video card might be as easy as an old cassette, but with an AIO it may be like changing a head gasket in a Miata (I assume that is not much fun).

Comment

AIO pc's can have a fairly high spec, you just have to pay more for it because of the design considerations. As has already been said, they have limited upgrade capability. However, you don't need masssively high spec gaming pc's for the current range of golf games as they really don't have that high a demand on the GPU. Sure they require some graphical processing, but it isn't too high, like what might be required for some modern games that require immense graphical processing to run at high resolutions. I have tried creative golf 3d and e6 connect on my aging surface pro 4, and they both run fine. I cant see tgc2019 being any more demanding (although I haven't tried).

The AIO will likely have a 1080p display and will often run with laptop components so a modern AIO running an rx Vega 8 will be more than ample. Or even just a good and modern embedded gpu​​​​ could be sufficient, with a bit of research.

​​​​

Comment

• DS12
          DS12 commented
          Editing a comment
          What are the specs for the surface pro 4? Do you have a dedicated gpu in it?

• DotNetDude
          DotNetDude commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, no dedicated gpu in this ultra slim format. It's an i7 6650U (2.2Ghz), 8gb with an integrated intel iris 540 gpu. Absolutely nothing by modern gpu standards.

I use a Intel NUC 8 VR NUC8I7HVK Gaming Mini PC. It can run TGC19 and E6 Connect 60fps+ @ 1080P. 4k ~40fps with some dips below 30.
        I wanted something small, powerful and durable. It cost more than a PC or laptop with similar components but it is worth it for my needs. I didn't want the size of even a miniITX PC or a screen attached like a laptop.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
          SkeetShooter commented
          Editing a comment
          Its really amazing what they are able to attain with the NUC, but man I give you credit for shelling out that kind of coin... Do you still feel the same now that the NZXT H1 series cases have come out? They are juts a little bit bigger than the NUC and much more budget friendly.

• Jerome
          Jerome commented
          Editing a comment
          SkeetShooter I'm a contract Software Developer/System Architect and was looking at the NUC for a customer. The cost was part of my research and proposal. I got the contract and the customer is buying 100's of them.

Soooo. This is an interesting question... I think there are some followup questions to help clarify and nail down what you would want to have...

When you say AIO, you don't mean like a Microsoft Surface right? Because thats just not going to be sufficient for Sim use, nor would you enjoy the size of the screen.

What is your budget?

Are you looking for portability?

Are you looking for best bang for buck with the ability to upgrade into the future?

Answer those questions, and I'll give you my best suggestion as to what you could do.

Comment

I am looking for a clean look when all is said and done. A touch screen monitor mounted on the wall would be all the eyes see. (AIO or touch screen to hidden PC somehow).

obviously meeting specs for simulator is required but that would be the only must. Budget wise let’s go with minimum requirements for SIM plus 1 level up. So 16gb instead of 8, 512 SSD instead of 256, 3.6 GHZ instead of 3.2 processor speed, etc.

I attached a photo of the “look” I would want to go for but without the cabinetry.

if the price is too high to meet the specs I may go with a locker system in which one unit has a PC with a touch screen monitor mounted on the wall for use.

Comment

OK so there are a few things possible here. I know what you are suggesting...Basically a very high end iPad. It can be done and there are actually Touchscreen PC's that are all in ones... But to my knowledge, none of them have the graphics possibilities that are required for a simulator.

A better solution would be to build a micro-atx or mini-atx sized desktop PC, and then hide that somewhere with good ventilation and then have your display sent to your touchscreen.

Please note that most simulators do not have very good built in functionality for Touchscreen. There is some but not what you would expect.

Budget is still a question that I would want answered as just a touchscreen monitor by itself can be several hundreds of dollars.

Just a reference point. a98cr125 has an Acer Predator Helios 900 that has a touchscreen in it and a rtx2080 but these dont come cheap... I think somewhere around $3800 or so.
            Last edited by SkeetShooter; 05-18-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me. That price tag is quite a big one, and more than I am looking to spend. My previous research showed I could get an above average gaming PC for $1500 with a graphics card with power to spare while running a simulator. If the AIO was possible and only a matter of a couple hundred than it would be something to contemplate. As I budgeted $1,500 (build my own).

It would appear that a regular PC running two HDMI (monitor and projector) will be the likely route.

Comment

No problem. Glad we have some budgets set. So yeah for $1,500 you can build a really nice PC for that price. Only one thing I would say right now is to wait maybe 1 month or so, as AMD and Intel are about to slash their prices. Also keep in mind forward compatibility. If you are going to go Skytrak, then you can use AMD CPU's and GPU's. If you plan on using Uneekor now or in the future, AMD is not supported. (I'm not sure why, but its just what I've read.)

A few other observations and recommendations. AMD for processors right now represents the best bang for buck as well as performance on many scales. Simulation for golf in general does not require a ton of computing power. An i5 (Intel) or Ryzen 5 (AMD) is more than sufficient and will not hinder your performance. Simulation is extremely GPU-intensive. Save your money on the processor and look towards the GPU.

Given your proposed budget, you could probably build something that is 4K capable. RTX-2080's have come down in price and some can be had for under $700. Outside of serious production level GPU's (Quaddro/Titan) there are only two variants that are more capable. 2080 Super and 2080Ti.

As far as target specs... I would suggest the following for an AMD system:
                CPU: Ryzen 3300x or greater (even an older 2700x is going to be awesome...I have one and its a heck of a performer)
                GPU: RTX 2070 Or Greater for INVIDIA: For AMD, the 5700XT is on par with a 2070 Super... Should be cheaper, however AMD has a history of issues with their bios and firmware...
                MOBO: Wait until the B-550 Boards come out... The price of B-450 boards should drop considerably. (Form factor will be dependent on your case size and desired footprint.
                Memory: Corsair Ripjaws or Dominator... Ram is pretty cheap now... 16BG is plenty. (2 8G 3200 speed or greater. AMD likes higher speeds so 3600 would be my recomendation)
                Storage: Recommend one m.2 or save some cash on a good SSD around the 500g-1TB size for your operating system and programs you want to load up quickly. Then add a 3TB Seagate Barracude 7200RPM HDD for storage.
                Cooling: Most if not all CPU's come with their own air cooler... Unless you are Overclocking they are generally sufficient. If you are going for a really quiet build that has good performance, I can't recommend highly enough using BeQuiet! parts all around. (Case, Power Supply, Cooler)

This does not include peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse, Operating System (should you choose to pay for one)) Also no monitor.

I imagine your budget is not inclusive of the possible monitor you suggest.

Oh also, one other thing... Right now, power supplies are for some reason out of stock on the ones you would need/want. I think we can chalk this up to COVID-19. I would be patient and wait about 1 month and or continuously monitor components as they come in...

Comment

• steve51523
                  steve51523 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  any advice on computer to get to run skytrak for TGC? i cant build my own. Laptop or desktop doesn't matter to me.

That is so much great and useful info!

Question about the AMD compatibility comment. I have seen that others besides Uneekor say Intel only, do you know why this might be? AMD has made massive strides and are really sitting second to noone right now but I would hate to have issues with TGC along with whichever Launch Monitor/Sim I choose.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
                  SkeetShooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I've asked this question before too. I generally just get the response that is, "Thats just the way the program/software operates" I can tell you AMD works just fine with Skytrak and and TGC2019, E6, and Creative Golf... I can't speak for Flightscope, but I estimate it would work.

I'd love to talk to a rep/engineer with Uneekor to understand why no AMD... Sometimes, it has to do with the way hardware/software partners work, but other times it has something to do with the way the processor communicates between North and South Bridge.

Side note... massive inflation on components right now due to Covid-19. The GPU you mentioned above is $499 on NVIDIA's site (Out of Stock) and $800 on Newegg/Amazon. This is hardly unique but rather just an example.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
                  SkeetShooter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree here. Thats exactly why I would wait. However CPU's and Ram are cheap/available right now...

Originally posted by Stetson View Post
                Thank you for getting back to me. That price tag is quite a big one, and more than I am looking to spend. My previous research showed I could get an above average gaming PC for $1500 with a graphics card with power to spare while running a simulator. If the AIO was possible and only a matter of a couple hundred than it would be something to contemplate. As I budgeted $1,500 (build my own).

It would appear that a regular PC running two HDMI (monitor and projector) will be the likely route.

I paid about $900 for the parts to build my PC, and another $190 for a 21" touchscreen monitor. The case may be larger than what you want, so that is optional of course.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
                AMD Radeon RX580 8gb
                16gb Corsair 3200mhz RAM
                512gb m.2 storage
                550w PSU
                Coolermaster quiet case
                B450 Carbon AC MSI motherboard
                Asus 21" Touchscreen

I use HDMI out for both the monitor and Optoma ST projector.

Comment

Which software do you use? Any hiccups with the AMD part of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stetson View Post
                    Which software do you use? Any hiccups with the AMD part of it?
                    New May release of Windows 10 fresh install along with Radeon drivers. No hiccups at all.

Using E6 and Creative 3D demos for now. I also use the steam version of TGC 19 and it all works fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X