Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @orkie (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - WGC-FedEx St. Jude!

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - PGA Championship Tournament with 3 rounds at Pine Valley (Protee Blue Tees): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...hip#post281617
See more
See less

Importance of processor spec for TGC 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of processor spec for TGC 2019?

I have an opportunity to buy a second hand gaming PC at a great price and all specs seem to meet the recommended system requirements on 2K support and the TGC 2019 product page on Steam. The only component below recommended specifications is the processor (i5 2500k). Should I be concerned and will I see performance issues because of this? I've heard the GPU is the most important component and TGC 2019 doesn't tax processor/RAM very heavily. I'm projecting through a GT1080Darbee, so don't need 4K support - just want to be able to run 1080p at close to full detail settings. I do have the non-sim version of TGC 2019 I can use to test things out, before transferring my sim license over with Protee...

Specifications on PC I'm looking to buy:
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1060 with 3GB video RAM
    • Storage: 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD
    • Power Supply: Antec 750W
    TGC 2019 "recommended" system requirements:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7850 or NVIDIA GTX 660 with 2GB video RAM
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 12 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible

I believe the specs for the sim version are slightly more demanding than the steam version. Sim version processor (recommended) is i7 @3.20 and the minimum is i5-760 @2.80.

That being said, I think you'd be fine running it on the default settings or maybe just slightly higher. The GTX1060 that you're looking to buy is the recommended card for the sim version.

I have the recommended processor and graphics card and run it with graphics settings that are turned up slightly from the default settings but nowhere near maxing it out.

Scroll down to the bottom to see the sim version specs that skytrak recommends (which again I believe differ ever so slightly from the steam version)

https://www.skytrakgolf.com/simulati...golf-club-2019
    Last edited by 3on3putt; 07-15-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post
      I believe the specs for the sim version are slightly more demanding than the steam version. Sim version processor (recommended) is i7 @3.20 and the minimum is i5-760 @2.80.

That being said, I think you'd be fine running it on the default settings or maybe just slightly higher. The GTX1060 that you're looking to buy is the recommended card for the sim version.

I have the recommended processor and graphics card and run it with graphics settings that are turned up slightly from the default settings but nowhere near maxing it out.

Scroll down to the bottom to see the sim version specs that skytrak recommends (which again I believe differ ever so slightly from the steam version)

https://www.skytrakgolf.com/simulati...golf-club-2019
      Thanks for the reply! You're right, it looks like the sim version specs for processor and available hard drive space are higher. What confuses me is why you'd need to turn settings down at all if your PC specifications meet/exceed the 'recommended' level...you would think the recommended level would be for full performance.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending a bit more $ on a system that would allow me to run at full detail level. The problem is, it's unclear to me what those specifications need to be. Apparently something more than the 'recommended' specs from Skytrak/Protee?

Comment

Originally posted by hillzz22 View Post

Thanks for the reply! You're right, it looks like the sim version specs for processor and available hard drive space are higher. What confuses me is why you'd need to turn settings down at all if your PC specifications meet/exceed the 'recommended' level...you would think the recommended level would be for full performance.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending a bit more $ on a system that would allow me to run at full detail level. The problem is, it's unclear to me what those specifications need to be. Apparently something more than the 'recommended' specs from Skytrak/Protee?
        You're absolutely correct. I was also under the impression that the "recommended" specs would allow me to maximize the settings and performance. The first time I played the game I juiced up all the graphics settings before teeing off and then hit my first tee shot and watched it sputter through the air as the frames couldn't keep up.

My only guess is that the specs required to maximize the game would be too expensive and they don't want to push that out as the "recommended" specs because consumers might be too intimidated by those specs (and the price tag needed to achieve them). I don't really know, just my wild guess.

I turned my settings up until I noticed the first glitch in performance. That's when I knew I had hit my threshold. So I just turned it down slightly from there to preserve the performance.

All this being said, even at the default settings or just slightly higher, the graphics are incredibly good. I can't imagine anyone would look at that game in the default settings and be anywhere near disappointed. It's really good, and the well-designed courses are simply stunning.

I don't have an advanced level of knowledge about gaming computers, so I can't really say what kind of specs would be needed to max out the game. I'm sure someone else will chime in though that can tell you more than I could.

**For clarity, I didn't have to turn down my settings. The game launches with the settings set at some default levels. I am able to run it slightly higher than the default settings. So it's turned down from the max settings, but turned up from the default settings.
        Last edited by 3on3putt; 07-15-2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Is there a way in TGC19 to turn on the display of the stats (cpu%, FPS, temp, etc...) to show the type of performance you are getting for the game with your current settings?

Comment

• 3on3putt
            3on3putt commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a good question. I do know that it shows the ghz you're running at. Not sure how you might be able to see other data.

If you had a program that checked these, you could use ontopreplica and see them while running the game.

Originally posted by DAK60 View Post
          Is there a way in TGC19 to turn on the display of the stats (cpu%, FPS, temp, etc...) to show the type of performance you are getting for the game with your current settings?

Comment

Working...
          X