Using PC in Two Locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PC in Two Locations

I'm currently planning my simulator build in my garage however I have a gaming set up in the basement with a 5600x and RTX 3080, dual monitors. What I'm hoping to do is run the garage simulator off the computer in the basement.

The only option that seems to work is basically running fiber HDMI cables (2) from the basement to the garage to connect to the projector and TV as well as USB cables for keyboard/mouse.

This would involve me having to go downstairs every time and change settings on my computer for which monitors to use and which keyboard/mouse to use. Are there any other options to make it easier? I looked into a KVM switch however that seems to be more for 2 PC's and 1 set of peripherals.

Thanks for the help!

I will have this same issue.

I am probably going to end up using a cat6 HDMI extender since I will already have the cat6 ran to my basement. Is this an optin vs fiber? With the HDMI extender, I should also be able to use an IR repeater for my wireless keyboard/mouse. So as long as I bring my keyboard/mouse downstairs, I (should) have full control of my computer from the basement.

Comment

• Edwards
      Edwards commented
      Editing a comment
      Been looking into this more and it seems like cat6 HDMI extender is the best option. If I go 1080p I can use an HDMI cable but I want to make sure I can do 4K if I decide to upgrade.

Planning to run a cat6 cable to the garage ceiling (approx 25').

For the TV/USB on the ground level I'll run a separate HDMI cable for the TV (this run is only like 8' max). For Mouse/keyboard I haven't decided yet but I am looking at USB-C hubs.

Computer will just always have 2 mouse/keyboard connected at all times to control the PC.
      Last edited by Edwards; 08-26-2021, 08:21 PM.

You can remote desktop in from your smart phone as long as you are on the same network and you have windows 10 pro on the desktop.

Comment

How close/far are the rooms? If you can keep an RF keyboard in the sim room it might be able to control the PC from the sim room and you can make any necessary changes there.

Comment

I have an HDMI splitter running my primary monitor signal to my projector in another room. I ran a long HDMI cable through the ceiling. I also ran a long USB cable through the ceiling with a USB hub at the end. The hub has the receiver for a wireless keyboard and mouse that stay in the sim room. My SkyTrak also connects to the USB hub.

Comment

I am looking into something similar for TGC 2019. My gaming desktop PC is now upstairs (after some water in the basement from Hurricane Ida). The sim is still in the basement with a Skytrak, a net and a TV (no projector/screen setup yet). I need to use the home network (probably wifi rather than ethernet) as direct HDMI cables and/or bluetooth between the room aren't an option.

My thought was (a) connect the Skytrak to the PC via Network mode (b) cast the desktop to the TV using Chromecast (or figuring out something similar with the Roku), and then (c) control the PC remotely from the sim room over wifi..On (c) it sounds like something on my iPhone or tablet would be a good option. Does anybody have other good solutions for (c) other than the iphone/tablet or remoting in via the remote computer option as described elsewhere (I don't have Windows 10 Pro)? Are there standalone gaming controllers or media controllers that will connect directly via wifi? Also does (b) sound reliable enough or is there a better option? Presumably others have had similar approaches with home office to garage but I couldn't find this in the forums.

Comment

Another thought for (c) was simply to buy a Raspberry Pi for downstairs, upgrade to Windows 10 Pro upstairs (or use third party remote software that doesn't require the upgrade), and use the Pi to remote into the Desktop and then output via HDMI from the Pi to the TV (and eventually to my projector setup when I make the transition). I could then use a simple media type keyboard for the Pi. Has anyone tried something like that?

Comment

I have a setup with simulator in basement and gaming PC in my office above. I use a Bluetooth keyboard with track pad for controlling PC in the basement. I have 2 long hdmi cables that were fished down from above for projector and side tv. My PC has 4 monitor outputs which is helpful for this.

I added DisplayFusion software for configuring multiple monitor profiles. This allows for setting up a keyboard shortcut to switch profiles depending where I am using the PC. Sometimes have to login without being able to see but other than that has worked fairly well.

Comment

Thanks golfninja. That sounds like the a really good approach in your case. In my case, Unfortunately, I can't connect the two areas (basement and upstairs office) directly either via cable or bluetooth so I'm stuck with the home network (wifi and/or ethernet). It sounds like remoting in to the desktop via a tablet, laptop (or raspberry pi) would be easiest. I would then output from the downstairs device via HDMI to the TV.

As a second option (which I could progress to later), I could somehow connect both the TV and an input device (media keyboard, gaming controller, etc.) to the upstairs desktop directly over the network without an intermediate tablet or laptop. The second approach sounds more technically challenging and frankly I'm not sure how to actually do it. It would be interesting to know if anyone has used this second option (i.e., no second device for remoting in and no cables as described by golfninja).

In either case, the Skytrak would connect to the upstairs desktop via network mode.

Comment

For anyone who is interested, Google Remote Desktop on a Raspberry Pi works here but is quite laggy. It could be that another remote approach (Windows built-in remote, VNC etc.) would be less laggy but this is the only one I tried as it seemed to be the easiest for someone with a modest level of technical IT skill. By the way, the same approach to remote into the gaming Windows desktop running TGC 2019 with a fast Windows laptop in the basement as the client is less laggy.

I have ethernet in both spots so I'm going with KVM over ethernet using KVM equipment at both ends and then connecting my keyboard, mouse, and HDMI into the "receive" side of the KVM. This should eliminate the lag. I'll report back if it doesn't. The KVM over ethernet looks to be not that complex.

In exploring this, it looks like a more complex option is KVM over IP. This might work for situations like mine with wifi but no ethernet in both locations. It can be done with premade equipment (similar but more expensive to the KVM over ethernet gear I bought) or as a Raspberry Pi project . . . but in either case, it looked a little complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax2021 View Post
                    For anyone who is interested, Google Remote Desktop on a Raspberry Pi works here but is quite laggy. It could be that another remote approach (Windows built-in remote, VNC etc.) would be less laggy but this is the only one I tried as it seemed to be the easiest for someone with a modest level of technical IT skill. By the way, the same approach to remote into the gaming Windows desktop running TGC 2019 with a fast Windows laptop in the basement as the client is less laggy.

I have ethernet in both spots so I'm going with KVM over ethernet using KVM equipment at both ends and then connecting my keyboard, mouse, and HDMI into the "receive" side of the KVM. This should eliminate the lag. I'll report back if it doesn't. The KVM over ethernet looks to be not that complex.

In exploring this, it looks like a more complex option is KVM over IP. This might work for situations like mine with wifi but no ethernet in both locations. It can be done with premade equipment (similar but more expensive to the KVM over ethernet gear I bought) or as a Raspberry Pi project . . . but in either case, it looked a little complicated.
                    I currently use a KVM extender. My PC is in my basement, and I mirror one of the monitors to the projector in my garage with a 150ft ethernet cable. It does work well, but one thing to pay attention to is the supported video signals that the kvm will handle. Mine only supports 1080p, 720p, or 480p. All 16x9 ratio. I cant have a 4:3 ratio. So if you want a different ratio, you'll have to go for a more accommodating kvm extender.

A wireless keyboard and mouse combo and a wifi dongle(mevo+) in the usb ports in the garage, with a hdmi output, and it works great. I do with I had gone for a more expensive model of KVM to get more USB ports and video capabilities, but maybe one day.

Comment

Piggybacking off this thread. Newbie here so appreciate any help. I'm looking to make my setup in a detached garage.. wi-fi is spotty out there - is it a necessity to have an internet connection? This may be a dumb question but just seeing what sort of obstacles I'm facing here. I'd plan to use a PC that I can take out there while I play. I know I wouldn't be able to do any multiplayer type stuff online without a connection but just general practice sessions and courses from TGC if possible. Thanks

Comment

whp55, practically speaking you need a gaming desktop or laptop with internet for TGC 2019 to work well. Without internet access for the PC (either wifi or ethernet) , you can't access the all of the courses on TGC 2019.

You also need to connect the launch monitor to the PC either over your network or via a direct connection. This is easy enough if they are in the same room. The issue Remoth and I have is that we don't have the gaming PC in the same part of the house as the sim. The KVM over ethernet solves this problem (at least for me and it sounds like it works OK for Remoth too). If you don't need TGC 2019, an iPad will do OK for some launch monitors and will work with e6.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks

Comment

Any updated solutions to this setup. I'm looking to do the same but don't want to get spotty hardware. I'm looking at this at the moment for remote video and USB.

AV Access 4KIP100-KVM is a 4K HDMI KVM over IP Extender. The IP transmitters and receivers can extend 4K video (with zero latency) and USB 2.0 signal up to 120m/390ft. It is ideal for KVM distribution and switching in homes, offices, sports bars, control centers, conference rooms, classroom, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X