DIY Ceiling protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Ceiling protection

Looking for some DIY ideas for protecting the ceiling. I have built my frame and hung the screen. In the top corners I used low peak shed roof corners from tarps.com so that i could build out a frame that runs along my ceiling. Looking for a net or some other material at cheap to put there. Seeing how it shouldn't be hit very often wouldn't need something of great quality.

i'm kicking around ideas for the same problem. I'm thinking of going with a basic golf net run across the top of my two side "wings" of my folding frame. It will need to be taught, as there won't be much room between the net and the ceiling. Probably hang some kind of weights off each side to accomplish this. The only time i've hit my ceiling so far is when I've tee'd up the driver too high and popped the ball nearly straight up. Stopped hitting driver until I get this thing "pop up proof", lol

Comment

I never thought I would need this but was proven wrong after my first week. I took some pictures of my solution that I put in after a friend popped up a driver and nearly hit my projector. Scotch was involved. Also some have been able to hit wedges into the ceiling and I have several ball marks. Since I put this up, no issues.

Comment

• aushizz
        aushizz commented
        Editing a comment
        Got a Link to the black wall "cushions"? Thanks.

• DWargo
        DWargo commented
        Editing a comment
        The black wall pads are DIY. You can see the construction in the pictures on this post: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...from-last-year.

The basics are 1" furring strips screwed into studs over drywall at 2' intervals horizontally on the walls. I did this so I did not damage the mid wall molding and the only damage to the walls will be the screw holes in the drywall. Also, I have wiring for the computer and projector hidden behind it.

The squares are 2' x 2' 5mm plywood sheet with slightly smaller polyurethane foam glued to the centers. Then I wrapped each of them like a seat cushion and stapled to the back of the plywood. Then just used brads to secure them to the furring strips. Hopefully, you can see from the 18 attached pictures. Just keep in mind they are not chronological for whatever reason when they were uploaded and appeared randomly.

Let me know if you have any questions. It is quite a bit of work but I needed a finished look in a high traffic area.

Gratefulred that's what I'm thinking about doing. Not sure where I can find the net at a cheap price tho. Don't really see any reason to pay a lot when it shouldn't really be used often. It will be more for the o crap moments lol.

DWargo from what little I can see in the pic that looks like one good looking sim. How close do you have the net to the ceiling? I would assume it's really tight to limit the give in it.

Comment

• wbond
        wbond commented
        Editing a comment
        There are cheap nets on ebay and I think on west coast netting as well. Might be under impact panels or something if I remember right.

Meh, ceiling protection is overrated. I mean hell, it's only drywall.

Yeah, I have a ton of marks and a couple holes in my nice ceiling. Some from wedges and many more that bounced off my frame.

I only wish I had put in ceiling protection!

Comment

I used a mesh tarp from harbor freight. Built a wood frame and attached it to it then mounted it with hinges on one side and a rope and pulley on the side by the screen. I can lower the one side so it's sloped and sits on the top of screen. As you can see from picture, I'm not worried about hitting drywall. I'm worried about a ball ricocheting all over. In the picture it's in the up position. I needed the option to pull it up out of the way so I could open garage door.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb50
          I used a mesh tarp from harbor freight. Built a wood frame and attached it to it then mounted it with hinges on one side and a rope and pulley on the side by the screen. I can lower the one side so it's sloped and sits on the top of screen. As you can see from picture, I'm not worried about hitting drywall. I'm worried about a ball ricocheting all over. In the picture it's in the up position. I needed the option to pull it up out of the way so I could open garage door.
          Harbor freight for that? That would be great! They always have low prices.

Comment

I use the mesh tarp as well for protection. Works great.

Comment

I've got a Harbor Freight locally, so I think I'll try one of their mesh tarps. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
            X