Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact screen rail

Morning GSF members,
    I’m looking to add an impact screen to my garage setup now that I’ve tried it with the net return (Skytrak unit thanks for all the advice on the decision) and I’m not feeling the net as I would with an impact screen for more of a visual setup. My kids and I have shanked a few to hit the fridge and now I’ve decided to go with adding an impact screen and possible enclosure. The area I’m dealing with is 13W x 8.5H x 3.5D, the idea I’m envisioning is adding an impact screen on a track as if it was curtain and bungee cord it to wall and floor with minimal bounce back. At the same time I would like to add side curtains for those possible shanks for the boys while they are learning and to block out some lighting.

I was thinking of going with Carls screen 11Wide x 8H. The projector I’ve ordered is the BenQ HT2150ST, and either mounting projector on ceiling or getting a case for a floor mount, I have roughly 12-14 feet from the screen when it will be up. I’m looking for an easy clean setup process when we would like to sim some golf.

Now my questions are:
    Which rails would you recommend based on your experience for an impact screen to open/close and tension support?

The equipment I’ve selected is based on the week of reading in forums, would this be an ideal setup if you were dealing with the space?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hoping once I’m done with setup I’ll give in to enjoy some TGC.

Thanks ...

I’ve got mostly what you’re describing except having the screen on a track. Using 11x9 Carl’s premium screen with black side curtains on rails and benq on ceiling. It’s a great setup imo. Curtains really trap and drop shanks.

Comment

Originally posted by brock
      I’ve got mostly what you’re describing except having the screen on a track. Using 11x9 Carl’s premium screen with black side curtains on rails and benq on ceiling. It’s a great setup imo. Curtains really trap and drop shanks.
      What you have your screen on?

Comment

Modeled my build off this YouTube video. https://youtu.be/2vHCu7ctSOU

Comment

Got the corner pieces from tarps.com. EMT from Home Depot. Pipe insulation and curtain rails from Amazon.

Comment

Eddie - I get the sense you are thinking more along the lines of a full enclosure, but the screen and side/top netting are all on curtain rails? I've been looking into building a garage setup where I can still use the stall for parking and have been trying to figure this out as well.

As best I can tell, the way to go seems a permanent (sturdy!) top crossbar for the screen. I am planning to build my off the wall anchored in studs using EMT pipe. Then anchor the sides & bottom corners - somehow.

My enclosure will be separate from the screen and I'm thinking of using 2x "L-shaped" ceiling curtain tracks like you would see dividing a hospital room. Put them end to end and get a U-shape that will be about 10x10. I'm going to suspend that from the ceiling, hang netting from it. Here is a link of what I am thinking:

https://www.curtain-tracks.com/curta...arch_mount=231

If I end up needing extra protection / soundproofing / blackout for a projector... someone suggested pretty cheap black car/boat carpet you can buy in 6 foot wide (any length) sections from Menards / Home Depot.

I'm probably not going to actually execute on this until next fall when I can (hopefully!) afford the full setup. But I enjoy the planning and have been lurking on the forum for a while

Would love to see how you end up doing yours.
            Last edited by mkgref; 10-16-2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I have a garage setup where I use a heavy duty curtain rail for the impact screen. Slide away when done do car can be be parked. Works great.

Comment

• grillstogo
              grillstogo commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you sacrifice picture quality do to wrinkles or waves from storage for the convenience to slide it away?

Since those picks I have added another rail for the right side of the range with a net and curtain panels as seen in picture

Comment

• eddiemm3
              eddiemm3 commented
              Editing a comment
              OMG, that's the setup i've been thinking, can you share what you've used? Rails? Screen? Hooks? etc. Also what's the distance you are using and LM you are using? (Skytrak or GC2)

OMG, that's the setup i've been thinking, can you share what you've used? Rails? Screen? Hooks? etc. Also what's the distance you are using and LM you are using? (Skytrak or GC2)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_C View Post
              I have a garage setup where I use a heavy duty curtain rail for the impact screen. Slide away when done do car can be be parked. Works great.
              Kevin, any chance you can post the specifics of your setup regarding the impact screen (brand, size, etc) and the sliding rail (where you sourced it)? I am looking at the possibility of doing something exactly like this. I am currently hitting into a Callaway hitting net, but looking to add a screen in front of it, or as a replacement for the hitting net.

Comment

RECMAR 3120 EXTRA HEAVY DUTY CURTAIN TRACK - 12 FEET

All hardware available from this website www.curtain-tracks.com

My netting came from westcoastnetting.com

Impact net is PR20 but you could buy from anywhere

Comment

My mat is about 10 ft from screen. I use a Skytrak with TGC. I have a BenQ projector 12 ft from screen with 10.5 ft ceiling. Looking into JNPG for scrambles since it doesn’t look like TGC2 isn’t going to implement that type of multiplayer

Comment

• eddiemm3
                    eddiemm3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Kevin_C how's the bounce back, i see you are not using that many bungee cords, is it safe? How about the hooks? What hooks did you go with?
                    Last edited by eddiemm3; 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM.

Originally posted by Kevin_C
                  My mat is about 10 ft from screen. I use a Skytrak with TGC. I have a BenQ projector 12 ft from screen with 10.5 ft ceiling. Looking into JNPG for scrambles since it doesn’t look like TGC2 isn’t going to implement that type of multiplayer
                  Cool thanks for the info.

Comment

Very little bounce back. If you have your screen too tight you will get a lot of bounce back

Comment

Working...
                    X