My New SQ Beta Screen!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New SQ Beta Screen!!!

I plan on doing a full review of the New SQ Beta screen I received from Par2Pro and told cory I would give my complete and honest feedback.

Got mine yesterday as well. Quality is much better than my Carl's regular screen. Putting it up tonight most likely, hopefully i get a better picture than i have now.

Comment

My picture is awesome

Comment

I am hoping to hear how it compares to the HQ2 from a durability perspective. The three people who play most on my sim are 10, 1, and +1 handicaps. The center of the screen takes a beating. Even changing out balls very regularly results in a new screen every 9-ish months. The mesh screen is much more durable, but picture quality is not very good especially since we also watch movies, sports, etc. on it.

Comment

• wbond
          wbond commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you got either of the "direct from mill" screens? I don't see those wearing out anywhere near as fast as others do.

• Libbing
          Libbing commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same issue. Kids watch movies even more than I play golf on it, so the picture quality became much more important than I originally envisioned. After I wore through the middle of my first screen, I replaced it with the same thing (Cory's) and then took the old screen and cut out the middle 2-3 feet and finished the cut edge. The side panels are pretty much perfect since they got almost no impacts. With one of the remaining sides I created a curtain I can pull across the big screen just for playing golf, and then pull off to the side for movies. The quality for golfing isn't quite as good just because there is a screen over another that aren't the same size (an inch or two of space between them, and only the tops are connected via the curtain slide, but the sides don't have the bungee cords attached all the way down; but it hangs fairly well), but it doesn't bother me that much and was a good compromise to keep the perfect viewing screen. Plus I already had the screen (the old one), so a free solution (and I have the other side as well if this first one wears out)!

You could do this with a real movie screen as well, but then you'd have to make sure no stray shots could impact it.

Originally posted by costby View Post
        My picture is awesome
        That's great, I'm finally installing mine tonight. Looking forward to a better quality picture hopefully

Comment

I have received and installed the new screen. I have had it installed for about 1 week now. Here are my comments:

Previous Impact Screens

My first screen was a Supertex screen that had pockets with PVC pipe in them on all four sides. This was attached to the frame with some nylon cables (i.e. not ball bungees) on all four sides. The picture on this was good, but there was some bounce back. This screen lasted about 7 months before I put two holes in it.

My next screen was a thicker polyester model with similar construction. On this screen, I changed a few things to reduce bouncback and extend life. I added a thick blanket behind the screen, and attached the top and both sides with ball bungees. I used three bungees along the top, and two on each side (top and bottom). I used a metal EMT pipe in the bottom pocket of the screen. I was still using the screen when I received the new screen. I have had this screen for about 18 months. It has some wear (i.e. fraying) but it is still usable. The picture quality on this screen was not as good as the Supertex screen. This mounting method greatly reduced the amount of bounceback. However, the screen had a "pincushion" along the sides since there was no bungee in the middle sides of the screen. When I installed the bungee in the middle sides, the bounceback increased.

SQ Screen

1. The picture quality is outstanding. It is much better than the polyester screen. I think it is better than the Supertex screen but it has been a long time since I used the Supertex screen so I can't really do a good comparison. I am able to see the pixels from the projector again (1024 x 768). I could not see the pixels on the polyester screen.

2. The sound is about the same as my previous screen. It is not loud.

3. The bounceback has increased from my previous screen. I left the blanket behind the new screen. Even though the bounceback is higher than my previous screen, it is still acceptable. I have bungees attached in every grommet and nothing on the bottom of the screen.
          It is too early to tell about life of the screen. I hope that it will last years and not months.

Comment

• StanMI
            StanMI commented
            Editing a comment
            When you say on the second screen you used three ball bungies across the top, is that the only thing holding the screen up ?? If so, is the no warp or sag between bungies?

• CintiGolfer
            CintiGolfer commented
            Editing a comment
            For the second screen, there is a PVC pipe in foam pipe insulation that was installed in the top and both sides. The ball bungees went around this tube and the frame of the enclosure.

Thanks for the great review CintiGolfer! Are you able to upload some pictures of the SQ screen hung and with an image on it?

Comment

Also, when you say bounce back how much are we talking. Curious if hitting 8' from screen will be a problem.

Comment

My screen is about 8 feet from my mat and the bounce back is fine. It is usually less than 3 feet. Here are some pictures.

Old screen

Backdrop

New screen

Comment

I also just hung a SQ Beta screen from PAR2Pro and am very pleased with picture and overall material quality. My screen due to space ended up to be 9 1/2 by 12 feet. The material is thick and I can see how it will have good dampening qualities. I used the raw material and installed grommets on top and used HD tarp clips and bungees on the side. Will get pictures up this weekend.

Comment

• huettl224
                  huettl224 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also purchased the SQ Beta screen from Par2Pro as raw material. I'm curious what kind spacing you used from grommet to grommet? I had a friend hem the edges for me, and now I need to punch the grommets. This is my first simulator, I can't wait to get golfing!

I also purchased the raw SQ beta screen. I had a friend hem it for me, we folded over about two inches on 3 of the sides and sewed a pocket for a bungee cord across the bottom. I was curious what you guys used to punch holes for the grommets? The kit I bought, the punch isn't sharp enough to get through one layer let alone two layers of the screen. Might try tarp clips until I can come up with a solution. My frame is made of angle iron if anyone has any other thoughts. First time sim build here! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X