Carl’s Premium vs. Par2Pro SQ vs. Custom Design Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl’s Premium vs. Par2Pro SQ vs. Custom Design Golf

I have decided to go with 16:10 aspect ratio screen and projector, but I still haven’t chosen which company to buy the impact screen from. For me, by far the most important qualitiy in a impact screen is the quality of the picture. Durability, sound, and bounce back are also important, but to a lesser. I realize that even the best impact screens we’re not gonna have incredible picture like the premium projector screens made for movies, but I want an impact screen that will display the best possible picture for an impact screen.

I narrowed it down to: Carl’s Premium (CP) impact screen or Par2Pro (P2P) SQ impact screen mounted on a remote controlled retractable Sports Screen or the impact screen from Custom Design Golf (CDG) out Atlanta.

I have little doubt about the quality and peformanance of CP impact screens as a result of reading all of the glowing reviews on this site. I feel fairly good about the P2P’s SQ based on feedback on this site, although I’ve haven’t found anyone who has owned and/or tested both the CP and the P2P SQ.

And regarding CDG’s impact screen, I’ve found some happy customers on here, but CDG isn’t a widely known so it’s hard to find feedback on their screens good or bad. Also the owner of CDG, who I spoke with at length, but all he would say about his impact screen material is that it’s all custom made, proprietary, and the absolute best available, but not many specifics. Their website says their impact screen material bright white, seamless, eagles, quiet, durable, and HD quality. But all the Company said this about their back screens.

Have any of you ordered samples, seem a projection on, or actually owned, and used more than one of these impact screens that I’m considering?

I can only speak to my satisfaction with what I currently have which is the 16x10 setup using the SQ screen from P2P and the electric sport screens. I absolutely love it. Picture quality looks great to me. I have also watched football games on it and it looks just as good as my actual home theater custom screen in my basement. Since this is my first and only simulator setup, I can’t say if Carl’s screen is better or worse. I attached some pictures for your viewing. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I also went with the Panasonic 5000 lumens projector that Shane st Par2Pro recommended.

Comment

• longstix
      longstix commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice setup!!

• mikestuewe
      mikestuewe commented
      Editing a comment
      more details on those curtains please.

I purchased one from custom design golf. Picture quality/bounceback/sound was absolutely stellar. I busted through it after about a year and tried to patch it using the special rubberized calking compound to no avail. Looked like crap and didn't hold either. Just received my new material from Par2Pro and it too looks awesome. Seems thicker than my previous version and will get it installed this week. Looking forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamar Young View Post
      I can only speak to my satisfaction with what I currently have which is the 16x10 setup using the SQ screen from P2P and the electric sport screens. I absolutely love it. Picture quality looks great to me. I have also watched football games on it and it looks just as good as my actual home theater custom screen in my basement. Since this is my first and only simulator setup, I can’t say if Carl’s screen is better or worse. I attached some pictures for your viewing. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I also went with the Panasonic 5000 lumens projector that Shane st Par2Pro recommended.
      Looks great. Nice set up. I think I’ve about made up my mind to go to with P2P SQ. Lots of happy customers on here and golf sim is all they do. Carl’s is primarily a theater screen company that also does impact screens.

What is the size of your screen? Total size you ordered and the actual size of the area available for projection?

How did you mount your screen?

It looks like you used 10 ft sports screens on the sides for protection. Is that the case? If so, that’s brilliant. The Sports Screen company sells 10 ft manual sports screens for only $280 each. So for $560 I can have 10 side protection that is easily retractable. That’s a lot less than heavy drape and tracks or any other type of retractable side enclosures. Did you buy the side screens from P2P or direct from SportsScreen?

How far far back from the screen do you hit from and how far back is your projector mounted?

Did yiu you get the Panasonic PT-VZ580U? That’s the one I’m leaning towards.
      Last edited by EricOtown; 01-10-2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Yes I went with the PTZ580U projector and you are correct that I used two 10 foot retractable screens on the side. I ordered it all directly through par2pro. They guided me through the order. There wasn’t any additional costs but they indicated ordering the screens through them would make it easier because of measurements he took from me on my garage. They buy them through that same guy. They provided me with all the instructions and drawings based on the size of my garage. I’d have to go back and look for the actual size of my SQ screen but it is a little over 10 feet tall because you need some slack. I worked with Shane Filice at Par2Pro. I hit around 8.5 feet back from the screen.

Par2Pro will also give you the instructions to mount make the braces for the screens to mount the motorized screens to your ceiling as well. They ask you for exact measurements of your space before providing you the drawings.

I usually vary my screen playing size between 16:9 and 16:10. I like the 16:9 better. Can’t really explain why. What you see in the picture is the 16:9 view.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Lamar, What is your PJ mounting height? I’m thinking of doing a screen very similar to your size. Also, do you get any shadows?
          Last edited by Tbraden32; 01-23-2019, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend getting the SQ screen from Par2Pro. I am very happy with this screen. It is very durable and has a great picture for watching tv/movies and golf sim. It is also much quieter than my old screen. This is the screen I have. You won't be disappointed. Here is my screen setup.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	7.JPG Views:	2 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	181736

Comment

Originally posted by Tbraden32

Lamar, What is your PJ mounting height? I’m thinking of doing a screen very similar to your size. Also, do you get any shadows?
              The screen is mounted right about 9.5 feet on the ceiling . Periodically a shadow will peak into the picture on completion of my swing but only in the very bottom of the screen.

Comment

The screen is mounted right about 9.5 feet on the ceiling . Periodically a shadow will peak into the picture on completion of my swing but only in the very bottom of the screen.
                How far away is your projector from the screen? When I go the Projector Central Calculator it says it needs to be 20 feet away for 16:10 ratio. Does that sound about right?

Comment

This is a "My Golf Spy" review of the Carl's Place screens, Premium and Preferred. I have a Preferred, will look to Premium when 4k resolution is available. Preferred looks good for TV, movies, etc. As the review says, "slightly grainy" compared to the Premium. There are magnified pictures of the wear in the primary ("heavy wear") hitting area after something like 10,000 hard hits. There's tons of reviews, etc on this site...I love the reviews of the TV clubs.

Comment

Dan completely agree with you and that review, I’m using preferred now. Meets my needs and performs exactly as needed. I do not watch movies using this screen, only golf.

Comment

How are you guys cleaning your screens. My SQ has gotten very dirty. I do however am very happy with the picture quality and very durable.

Comment

My Preferred screen is going on three years old, many thousands of shots, and there is no visible wear.

Comment

I haven’t yet. It’s newer. I was thinking about using Bissell spot bot. It has gentle scrubbers, cleaning solution diluted and warm water. Often used for carpets, couches, soft fabrics.
                          Anyone ever try that?

Comment

Originally posted by sherrow70 View Post
                            How are you guys cleaning your screens. My SQ has gotten very dirty. I do however am very happy with the picture quality and very durable.
                            My answer to that is don’t let it get dirty!
                            I use only new balls, and have an indoor set of clubs that are clean. There is no dirt to transfer, and my 2 year old SQ screen that I just took down still looked like new.
                            Once the ball starts to feel slightly ‘rough’, then chuck it in a bag for outdoor use, and get a new one.

Comment

• sherrow70
                              sherrow70 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Is your sim in a garage. I think it’s more dust and dirt from garage.

• p3eps
                              p3eps commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, it’s in my garage. I vacuum and clean my floor on a regular basis. If I take cars in, put down large tarpaulin sheets to save the tyres making a mess of my floor!
                              I wash my bike thoroughly, and clean the tyres before I take it back in the garage after I cycle round the woods etc.

Most people have turf between their screen and hitting area... but I just leave that bare as my floor is rubber - so the ball doesn’t ping pong about.
                          Working...
                          X