Clarifying Details on Padding Behind Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarifying Details on Padding Behind Screen

Just bought my projector and I'm ready to hang my screen. I'm still a bit confused as I've seen this done multiple ways but here's how I plan to hang my screen.....
    Note: Screen will span entire room and floor to ceiling, attached directly to studs (no EMT frame).

I will install angle iron the entire length of both side walls (attached to studs) and the entire length of the ceiling (attached to joists in the ceiling). I was only planning to run one row of angle iron. I will attach the screen to the angle iron with Tarp Clips and ball bungees. On the same angle iron, I will attach some netting iwith ball bungees, then behind the netting attached to the same angle iron is a 1" memory foam mattress topper using grommets and more ball bungees.

Questions:
    > Should I have two rows of angle iron?
    > If 2 rows, how far back should the angle iron holding the net and the mattress topper be?

Thanks!

My setup has net, old impact screen and new impact screen all attached to same spot, no gap between them and it works fine for my setup.

Comment

I used two rows of angle iron with netting on one and screen on other. The netting is about 1 inch behind the screen. But honestly, you could probably have netting and screen on same angle iron row. Don't know if it makes a big difference having a space. The high quality angle iron is expensive so maybe save the money and do 1 row.

Are you building plywood walls and ceiling. If yes, I recommend padding them with the 25"x25" interlocking pad tiles from "Harbor Freight". Best price on them. $8.00 for pack of 4. They are called "Anti Fatigue Mats" from Harbor Freight. Just make sure you buy the same lot/part number. I found out they had same product with different lots and some lots were slightly different. Then recommend the cheap thin carpet to staple to walls/ceiling and leave extra carpet to hang down the screen. This will create a seal where ball can't escape. Also left extra carpet on side walls and tucked in to create a seal on the sides also.

How wide is your screen going to be? If you have the space I recommend 16 ft wide screen. This will allow you to have a 16:10 or 16:9 screen format which looks the best and still giving you a good amount of height. Also you will be able to hit ball directly in center of screen with no issues. Good luck on sim build!
      Last edited by Mike80; 01-23-2019, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike80 View Post
        I used two rows of angle iron with netting on one and screen on other. The netting is about 1 inch behind the screen. But honestly, you could probably have netting and screen on same angle iron row. Don't know if it makes a big difference having a space. The high quality angle iron is expensive so maybe save the money and do 1 row.

Are you building plywood walls and ceiling. If yes, I recommend padding them with the 25"x25" interlocking pad tiles from "Harbor Freight". Best price on them. $8.00 for pack of 4. They are called "Anti Fatigue Mats" from Harbor Freight. Just make sure you buy the same lot/part number. I found out they had same product with different lots and some lots were slightly different. Then recommend the cheap thin carpet to staple to walls/ceiling and leave extra carpet to hang down the screen. This will create a seal where ball can't escape. Also left extra carpet on side walls and tucked in to create a seal on the sides also.

How wide is your screen going to be? If you have the space I recommend 16 ft wide screen. This will allow you to have a 16:10 or 16:9 screen format which looks the best and still giving you a good amount of height. Also you will be able to hit ball directly in center of screen with no issues. Good luck on sim build!
        Mike80 - I'm finishing the entire room and soundproofing, so I'll be going with drywall on walls and ceiling with the plan to put carpet tiles along the side wall and ceiling but I'll look into their anti-fatigue mats as well. I'm not exactly sure how wide the screen will be but likely it will end up about 12'6" with a ceiling height of only 8'3". I'm having some work done today to move some pipes then I'll hang the screen and see how much real estate I actually get before hanging the projector. I'll post pics later in the week, as I'm sure I'll have more questions!
        Thanks again for the response.

Comment

I used one row of angle iron, attached archery net and then screen. This is about 10" from wall i then hung my 2" mattress memory foam topper from a baton on the wall, the mattress topper was put into a duvet cover for attaching to baton.
          Search my posts for media images.

Comment

Also, I made a mistake months ago and purchased a black net. I've paid the price with it marking up my balls but now I'm concerned that putting the black net behind the impact screen would start having some of the black coloring rub off on the back of the impact screen and show through. Is that something I should worry about?

Comment

Probably not as the impact is no longer direct, I have a black net and have no issues.

Comment

Working...
              X