Question for Sportscreen Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Sportscreen Owners

I'm about to pull the trigger on a retractable setup from par2pro but trying to decide if I need to spend the money for the retractable side screens or sliding curtains. How necessary is side protection for a 16' wide Sportscreen setup when hitting from 6-7' away? It seems like it would be pretty hard to miss the screen but I do have kids who'll be learning on the sim.

There is always a possibility and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them. My setup is about 14-15' wide and I hit centered from about 9' away and there has never been a hosel rocket that missed the screen. I think the more likely scenario would be hitting one directly off the toe and a shot like that my never catch the side protection anyway since it usually doesn't come out that far.

Comment

I'm doing a DIY Sliding one at my house. I see a lot of value in it since in the other bay of my garage is my sportscar. I've shanked one before and thank God I didn't have it in the garage because it would have definitely hit the front quarter panel.

Comment

I think the answer to your question really depends on your skill level and the skill levels of others who will potentially be using your sim. It also depends on the potential damage if a ball misses the screen wide.

My setup is hitting 8 feet away from an 8 foot wide screen. Over the course of hitting thousands of balls, I have never missed the screen entirely. There have been a small handful of hosel rockets that hit the very far right side of the screen and then ricocheted off the wall of my room. I don't have side protection because when that happens, it just puts a small dent my my drywall that I can easily patch. However, I am planning to add side protection soon, since I've had a few friends come over and hit some balls that concerned me.

If I was hitting 6-7 feet away from a 16 foot wide screen, I wouldn't need side protection. But if I was going to let my wife hit some balls, I would probably get it just in case.

Comment

I agree. I have 16' wide and have never missed. But it takes a special skill set to shank one into a GC2. I've seen that happen a few times. Thank God for the shank tank.

Comment

I have a 7 year old son still learning to swing so it sounds like I"ll definitely need it. I went ahead and ordered the sportscreen without side protection but I found 5x8 rolling sun shades at Home Depot that seem like they'll work well. The material feels sturdy enough to at least stop a shank. I'm planning on sewing some velcro on one side to attach to the impact screen. If it works I'll post pictures.

Comment

I have an existing impact screen from Carls. Could I use that with the sportscreen roller? Or would I have to purchase another screen. Looking to change up my setup but also use some of what I already have.

Comment

I’ve got a 15ft wide SportScreen and hit pretty much central. I personally have never hit my curtain, but I did have a friend shank it wildly. It bounced off the curtain, and then was ‘guided’ into the screen.

If I’m just practicing on my own, I generally don’t close them. If I was playing a full round on my own, I’d probably just shut the right hand one. If I have friends round, I generally shut them both as the whole setup looks much better with them both shut... plus it’s better safe than sorry!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	5mIwY8K9-xlbrO-iq1DJgF9YANXAv2LV9jGk20V29e6SOdAOsrnwlwJDrqsYw9WLEOZ4p8c5y7x9kcC3Gg7-aBFmzYjGn3jO4-DnxTGCOXBXwimJHYGqDWkAgk9uJ44g28RJSTmdOZyFFAPeTWTG60z_7PaXYX-ZTDEgvgB_NzpmaNckLiQiB-NAxPc6Dq-otPjnzbnw-LXWhh98zx1xCIbqbb4o0beL80P6Pd4cBZyg-M5KP5gTZLSQsQ7lA_2 Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	214724 Reporting back. I have my shank protection in place now... Its pretty good. Especially considering my tight quarters in my garage... It rolls back and can be tied out of the way at the front of the garage. You can even see if I wanted to have it there while both cars are parked. Where the SUV is, that is my "hitting area" In the winter. The car gets elevated on the lift and covered for more space. I used to have my wife park under there, but her new SUV won't fit.

Last edited by SkeetShooter; 07-26-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X