Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16:10 vs 16:9 pros and cons. Which to pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16:10 vs 16:9 pros and cons. Which to pick?

Hi guys! First time poster. I've been reading through some of the great info here and I'm trying to get started on a plan for my sim build. My room is 23 ft deep 15''8 ft wide with 10''2 ceilings. I have a Trackman 4, I'm thinking one of the 10 ft deep DIY enclosures from Carl's, and a 9x4 fiberbuilt mat. Having trouble deciding between 16:10 & 16:9. Pros and cons? I think I have enough room for either. Setup will be used mostly as golf sim maybe some occasional sports or movie watching. I'm also wondering if I should ceiling mount or do a ground mount with a terrashield or a DIY version of something similar? I don't have outlets on the ceiling and would likely need help running wires ect. Your words of wisdom are much appreciated!! Thank you

Resolution and quality wise it won't make much difference. When people make these decisions for a golf simulator it's usually predicated on the room available and what you're looking for. ​If home theater is a consideration then 16:9 is the obvious choice because that's what all the content is and your movies would have black bars on 16:10.

​​​​​​Your space is essentially 10x16. If you went 16:10 you'd basically fill all your available space with the screen. If you went 16:9, your screen size would be 9x16ish and you'd be a foot under your ceiling.

My personal preference is to maximize VERTICAL space. Say you had a 9 foot ceiling. If your room was 16 feet wide I'd go 9x16 (16:9). If your room was 12 feet wide I'd go 9x12 (4:3). I'd never consider going 6.8x12 (16:9) for a 12 foot wide room. I want my high lofted clubs hitting the screen as much as possible rather than rely on nets/padding.
    Last edited by Celeras; 01-10-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Jodymac77
      Jodymac77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Celeras thank you for your response. Good insight. There would be slightly less than a 1ft vertical difference between 16:10 (107.5'') and 16:9 (95.81''). Is 1ft going to be a noticeable difference? Width is basically the same only 3'' difference. My next question would be, does going 16:10 limit the options for projectors?

• Celeras
      Celeras commented
      Editing a comment
      There will definitely be more projectors native 16:9 than 16:10, but I'm sure you can find one that would work either way. I don't have any suggestions for 16:10 though. Projector Central is a good resource for research, make sure to pay attention to throw distances and offsets. Golf Sims typically don't want the projector behind where you stand because you'd cast a shadow on your screen.

As for the height, that's just preference so it'd be your call.

I have a 16:10 screen and an old GT670A projector that did 16:10. It was time to upgrade the projector to 1080p with more lumens. I have been searching for a good projector that was ST and good lumens and 1080p plus would fit in my budget. I came to the conclusion that there were way more options for projectors that were 16:9. I ended up with the GT1080HDR and I am extremely happy with it. I raised the picture slightly off the floor and extended the picture to just be off the sides of the screen so it leaves me with about a 8 inch gap at the top. I have only used it once but I don’t really notice the gap at the top of the screen as much as I thought I would. It looks great and when I lower my ceiling curtain to the top of the image, it will now show as the picture filling the screen. If I want to use it to watch tv I don’t have to adjust the image anymore. I will correctly have the screen resized in the summer. I am extremely happy that I went this route. I also can’t believe the difference in picture quality. I always knew my picture was a little grainy but did not realize it would be such a big improvement but I had nothing to compare to it so expectations were limited.

Comment

• Jodymac77
      Jodymac77 commented
      Editing a comment
      How far away do you have your projector mounted? The calculator on projector central says 6''5 for 177'' screen for the GT1080HDR. Do you have some type of protection/enclosure for the projector?

Originally posted by Jodymac77 View Post
    Hi guys! First time poster. I've been reading through some of the great info here and I'm trying to get started on a plan for my sim build. My room is 23 ft deep 15''8 ft wide with 10''2 ceilings. I have a Trackman 4, I'm thinking one of the 10 ft deep DIY enclosures from Carl's, and a 9x4 fiberbuilt mat. Having trouble deciding between 16:10 & 16:9. Pros and cons? I think I have enough room for either. Setup will be used mostly as golf sim maybe some occasional sports or movie watching. I'm also wondering if I should ceiling mount or do a ground mount with a terrashield or a DIY version of something similar? I don't have outlets on the ceiling and would likely need help running wires ect. Your words of wisdom are much appreciated!! Thank you
    My room is the exact same size and I went 16:10 and loved it. I switched walls and went down to 16:9. Love it still. lol. Make the screen fit the wall and the image fit the screen and you’ll be fine.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

• Jodymac77
      Jodymac77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the response. Did going to 16:9 make the picture quality any better?

• mthunt
      mthunt commented
      Editing a comment
      Image is the same just smaller. The reason I switched was the new wall has a small 8 inch bulkhead on the left side. I switched because beside the other wall is the entrance and I was worried someone would shank the ball.

Im 16:9 and watch youtube tv on it. Very cool. Looks great. I haven't ever had 16:10 to compare and really no reason to change from 16:9

Comment

It will depend on your projector's capability. 16:10 aspect ratio = 1920 x 1200 pixels = WUXGA projector; 16:9 aspect ratio = 1920 x 1080 pixels = HD Projector. If have WUXGA projector and space then go with 16 x 10 foot screen. If have HD projector then go with 16 x 9 foot screen.

Comment

After reading a little more here on the forums and the advice given here there seems to be little difference between 16:10 and 16:9. Since 16:9 gives more options for projectors I will likely go the 16:9 route. Thank you to everyone for the feedback. Now I need to pick a projector. Suggestions are welcomed

Comment

• pwade3
          pwade3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Suggestions are usually budget driven.

• Jodymac77
          Jodymac77 commented
          Editing a comment
          AH yes budget would be helpful. I'm willing to go up to the 2k if it's worth the money. I'm leaning towards a floor mount just to make things easier as far as running wires, having power, wouldn't need an electrician ect.
      Working...
      X