Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crisp and clear picture, cloth over impact screen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crisp and clear picture, cloth over impact screen.

Just thought I would share my experience with something I tried. When building my enclosure I went with a 10x9 size. Ordered a 10x10 impact screen from Supertex. It's very rigid and durable, but also has a slight waffle pattern to it. So I added a polyester photo drop screen in front of the impact, I know most people do this with a black cloth and white cloth behind it, I tried the front on a whim

It's been over 4 months since I've had it this way and I couldn't be happier. I get a nice clean picture from the projector and there isn't a single mark or year after about 750 shots.

Link to the drop cloth, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R45YHMT..._CfJkFbYM9HV46

​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200804_210050.jpg
Views:	10890
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	282284
    Attached Files

And for comparison purposes, my night time image. Better than I could have hoped to get out of this small change.

Thanks again William Jenkins!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Agolfman; 02-21-2021, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Forgive me if you've said it and I missed it, did you use the black and white cloth in front or just the white sheet? I ordered the white last night, my impact screen is currently coming from carl's so I haven't even seen it yet but I'm very excited to see you had luck with this.

Comment

White cloth is in front of the impact screen. Hung with the tarp clips. It basically is laying on top of the impact screen, which I think it needs. I think having two layers is necessary as I wouldn't trust this drop cloth to hold up, if used alone. I also think it has some promise to be washed, or at least rotated to always have a fresh, clean surface to project upon.

Comment

exactly the same screen than you and questions than you.
          i has my pr-20 screeen since 2016 and I m currently looking at a better image quality screen.

Looking at your pictures, difficult to clearly see if it s much better. Colours seem to be better...
          So, will you leave it as is or would you change for a sq screen ?

Originally posted by Agolfman View Post
          Ordered a 10x10 yesterday for my 8x10 enclosure. I've had a great experience with West Coast impact screen (PR20), but it is frayed somewhat in the impact zone. Conservatively, 10,000+ shots hit into this and its still holding up, zero bounce back and reasonably quiet. Very happy with the product. But would like a better image, particularly as I move into SIM and TGC 2019.

The PR20 being a mesh like fabric doesn't allow for a great image. It's a good image but clearly a compromise. I've also rotated it once to switch the impact zone slightly.

This thread motivated me to move ahead and I'll see if I can post a comparison once it arrives and I get it installed. I'm going to mount it directly infant of the PR20 using the tarp clamps attached to my existing bungees. The one thing I think I'm going to do is mount it upside down and use the pouch to insert a 10' piece of pipe to weigh it down and set it up an inch off the floor. Seems like consistent weighting across the entire fabric would go a long way smoothing out wrinkles and helping it keep its shape.

Current garage build is here:
          https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...arage-buildout

Thanks William!
          Last edited by Patator100; 02-23-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Which screen have you bought from Carl’s ?
            I was looking at the premium one to replace my pr-20 screen.
            it would be strange for me buying a 700-800$ screen and have to put a 45$ polyester screen front of it.

do you reckon the image will be better with the polyester screen on the front rather than just leaving the Carl’s screen by its own ?

Originally posted by Jake not from state farm View Post
            Forgive me if you've said it and I missed it, did you use the black and white cloth in front or just the white sheet? I ordered the white last night, my impact screen is currently coming from carl's so I haven't even seen it yet but I'm very excited to see you had luck with this.

Comment

I was starting to think about replacing my PR20, but hadn't made a decision yet. Seeing this thread was a great prompt to experiment with something different and was better than I could have expected. We'll see if it holds up, but I doubt I'll ever need to replace my original PR20, I'd just keep changing out the front panel.

Comment

I use a West Coast Netting Archery Screen and always thought the image was a little washed out and could be better. For $32, I am in and ordered yesterday from Amazon. Looking forward to the results. I will keep you all posted.

I did also rotate my screen as after 3 years the main area started to show fraying and as a safe measure to to replace I flipped. Once this side starts to show wear, I will add another just in front.

Comment

Originally posted by Patator100 View Post
                  Which screen have you bought from Carl’s ?
                  I was looking at the premium one to replace my pr-20 screen.
                  it would be strange for me buying a 700-800$ screen and have to put a 45$ polyester screen front of it.

do you reckon the image will be better with the polyester screen on the front rather than just leaving the Carl’s screen by its own ?

I tried this out and to me the quality of picture is not quite as good as the Carl’s premium but It’s not far off and the price difference is massive. First thoughts were that it wouldn’t last more than 10 minutes as it’s wafer thin. I played a full 18 on it this evening and it doesn’t show any real signs of wear.

Comment

• Ukwill
                    Ukwill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm glad it's worked for you. I think this is an excellent solution.

• William Jenkins
                    William Jenkins commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine still looks like the day I put it up, it's been almost a year. Probably took 3,000 hits and many rounds. The only tear I see seems too low to be from a ball strike, one of my kids probably did something to it.

Thanks all. I have just ordered mine to run a test and see how it is...if not good enough (I doubt after reading your posts) then I will move on to a premium impact screen

Comment

Inspired by this thread I ordered and installed one over my cheap tarp+net setup. Looks better than it did, but with my crappy projector it is never going to look that good.

Comment

Thank you. I just ordered, under $30. If it lasts a year, saves impact screen and enhances the video/viewing quality it will be worth replacing every year!
                      My published Courses, all Lidar:

My Early Courses:
                      Boyne Arthur Hills Lidar2
                      Boyne Donald Ross LidarV2
                      Boyne Moor Lidar
                      BoyneHeather5T Lidar V2
                      CalderoneFarmsLidar5T2Pin
                      Lake Erie Metro Lidar3
                      Marco Island CC Lidar3
                      Willow Metropark Lidar5
                      Wyandotte Shore Lidar2

Later Courses:
                      Fraserglen Golf Course, British Columbia
                      Meadowbrook Northville (L)
                      The Glen (Illinois) Lidar
                      Deer Park Estate GC, Scotland
                      Green Craig Point GC, Scotland
                      Red Rock GC Las Vegas MTN
                      Ottumwa Country Club
                      And Many More...

Comment

Just so everyone knows. I recommend a portable shirt steamer to get wrinkles out. And you may need some static guard, it can pretty staticky some times.

Comment

Originally posted by William Jenkins View Post
                          Just so everyone knows. I recommend a portable shirt steamer to get wrinkles out. And you may need some static guard, it can pretty staticky some times.
                          Good suggestions

Comment

I had success with a steam iron after I hung it. Seemed to get 80% of the wrinkles out. Started on a pretty low setting and worked up to about medium-high to find the sweet spot.

Comment

• William Jenkins
                              Editing a comment
                              Update us once you have finally hit some balls into it.

William J - Thank you for the suggestion. I got huge difference by adding the drop screen. I have no idea how long it will last but i think it looks great. It is attached to the West Coast Archery screen using tarp clips.

Comment

• William Jenkins
                              Editing a comment
                              I can see a huge difference in those photos, looks great. Try to steam the wrinkles out and you're there.

Glad I can finally contribute to the group. I've taken all kinds of tips over the last year or so from many members in here .

If it's the same one I had I should last a while. Mine still looks great.
                          Working...
                          X