Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crisp and clear picture, cloth over impact screen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crisp and clear picture, cloth over impact screen.

Just thought I would share my experience with something I tried. When building my enclosure I went with a 10x9 size. Ordered a 10x10 impact screen from Supertex. It's very rigid and durable, but also has a slight waffle pattern to it. So I added a polyester photo drop screen in front of the impact, I know most people do this with a black cloth and white cloth behind it, I tried the front on a whim

It's been over 4 months since I've had it this way and I couldn't be happier. I get a nice clean picture from the projector and there isn't a single mark or year after about 750 shots.

Link to the drop cloth, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R45YHMT..._CfJkFbYM9HV46

​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200804_210050.jpg
Views:	10890
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	282284
    Attached Files

Guys - thanks for the tip with the Dazian product. I just order 3 yards of the TRAPEZE®PLUS HEAVYWEIGHT 122″ to Canada. There was a previous post about the Dazian site having a minimum order of 65 yards, but if you call the sales team you can order just a few yards (3 in my case).

I'm happy with the durability and responsiveness of my current screen, but want to upgrade to a 4K projector so looking to enhance the visual aspect, so this may be the perfect way to do this. Even if it doesn't last forever, at $125 it's reasonable to replace when needed.

I'll post an update once it arrives and I test it out...

Now its time to shop for the 4K projector....

Comment

• Virtualadam
      Virtualadam commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep - that’s the plan. Have a 4K projector on order so should be ready to get it all going in a few weeks…

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool - keep us posted up here Virtualadam with some pics when you're done. I would like to eventually go to 4K projector, but really would like to see some more examples on much better/clear it is than standard HD 1080p.

• tkirk
      tkirk commented
      Editing a comment
      Virtualadam Curious what screen you have behind it and how the Dazian is still holding up.

Originally posted by Scottygolf View Post
    Interesting. I originally started to order the Regular Trapeze Plus in white and the gal said we sell more of the heavy weight for golf sims. The website wouldn't process so I had to call and said 4 yards by 122. She said they had the back screen too but I passed on that as I already had the archery netting from West Coast Netting. It is sold in 122" and then by the yard. The website wouldn't process so I had to call and said 4 yards by 122. If I recall there were 2 or 3 locations, I called the Florida location and the gal checked inventory and said it was ship out of Jersey.

As a FYI, this comes raw. there are no grommets or border on it. I just folded the edges in a couple of times and then used the tarp clips.

What's the back screen they recommended? Curious if this is cheaper than an archery net or cheaper/lower quality impact screen.

Comment

• Scottygolf
      Scottygolf commented
      Editing a comment
      in my case I already had the archery netting from west coast netting but I thought the image was very poor. The Dazian was recommended by a guy who does sim installations for a living. It was simply a high quality image screen that is used over the other net. He said his company using the dazian and sews in velcro on sides so it sticks to the impact screen.

So far as a recommendation, I am sure Dazian can help you but I used what I had versus starting over. Hopefully this answered your question.

I called Dazian to order the heavy weight and the lady recommended that I spend an extra $10 per yard for this other projection screen they have that is basically the same as the heavy weight but sandwiched between the two sheets in 4mm of foam. Said it’s specifically made for impact screens.

Comment

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you receive that one yet, curious how it's working out for you as maybe I would be able to go with 1 Dazian heavy weight projection screen, and be done with impact screens? Or, am I still going to need archery netting, or something else behind to slow impact? Also, curious how loud that new screen is - is it quiet/loud compared to doing it with a light-weight Dazian screen in front of archery netting?

• Shamin_bakin
      Shamin_bakin commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven’t gotten it in yet. I’m supposed to get swatch’s tomorrow, they sent me the heavyweight and this one that has foam between the two screens.
      They are supposed to call me on Thursday to finalize my specifics. Such as loop at top, grommets, etc. I think I’m increasing my screen size to 12 feet wide so I can get some more height in a 16:9 ratio.

I plan to layer like this (back to front): netting / harbor freight 144x80 moving blanket / Dazian screen / photography sheet (one from this thread.

I’ll post a YouTube video, and leave some comments once it’s set up. I’ll try and leave some remarks on if the screen is really good and doesn’t need the photography sheet or if the sheet helps.

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Shamin_bakin - that's just awesome... I wonder if all of those layers you mention: 1.) netting, 2.) moving blanket, 3.) dazian screen, 4.) photo backdrop are really needed if you go with the heavyweight screen from Dazian? I could see possibly the moving blanket may not be needed, and maybe even the photo backdrop could go away - I guess it depends on the durability of that 'heavy weight' Dazian impact screen? Please keep us posted up here with how it turns out. Pics as well... thanks...

So the Dazian TRAPEZE®PLUS HEAVYWEIGHT 122 finally arrived (only took around 1 week to Canada). The material feel and thickness is just like a stretchy white undershirt. It was really easy to secure using tarp clips, and keep the wrinkles out.

I can't speak to the durability, but WOW what a huge difference in picture quality. I attached some before and after photos to show the difference, but they don't seem to capture how it looks in person.

My 4K project arrives later this week, so looking forward to seeing what difference that makes, but I almost feel like I had a 4K upgrade with this $75 cover!

I'll post an update when the 4K comes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole7_HD_Dazian_small.jpg
Views:	2027
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	345890Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_HD_Dazian_small.jpg
Views:	1955
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	345891

Comment

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      Scottygolf - yes, you're right about getting right, but I'm lucky at this stage as my walls are not drywalled yet. This allows me to add studs in the 7"-13" range (along the sidewalls) that I can attach eyelets for the screen, or angle brackets to directly. I will do that before I drywall the walls in there and it should be flexible enough for me to try out different depths to the back wall (from the screen) and give me a little bit greater distance (ball to screen) for my Garmin R10 radar to read ball flight. (the more the better).

My swing speed is 105, and most of my buddies are not as fast and as old as I am (think Senior Tour)... so I'm hoping I can get away with 8" or less to back wall from screen, especially if I put the 2" mattress pads behind the screen which should deaden the ball speed fast, and hopefully not allow much bounce back either... It's likely I'll be testing it out at different distances starting at 6" even, if I can and that will be a bare drywall board wall behind, so should not have too much concern there.

• bmitch
      bmitch commented
      Editing a comment
      This is really cool. I just built a sim and noticing that the screen is getting big sunken in spots from the ball hitting it repeatedly (in the same spot roughly). Saw some people talking about the Dazian screen, which I checked out and seems like a great idea. But just curious how you hung it while making it look clean and not just rigged? Did you install grommets? or just make holes in the fabric?

• Scottygolf
      Scottygolf commented
      Editing a comment
      bmitch - I used tarp clips to secure the Dazian Trapeze to my archery netting. The archery netting has grommets so they are secured to the side walls top and has a little play at the bottom. I secured the bottom of the archery netting to my base floor, not tight but not too lose. Again I used the tarp clips to clamp the two screens together. The trick I did is my flooring turf I left a little long to sit up about 5-6 up the screen. It adds a little weight to the screen to keep it tighter and also prevents a ball rocketing backwards from the bottom part of a frame. A friend suggested I try this before making any final cuts to the TFD grass. He was right, I am staying with that.

As for ball marks, yeah I get a few and they go away quickly. I could tighten it more but that would just add more wear on the screen and I still think the image looks great. Would love to upgrade my projector but not sure I would see an upgrade in a 4:3 res due to the 10' 4" screen width.

I’m very interested to find out more.. maybe see videos about how durable this is! I have sawdust mesh tarp for impact screen.. and it is verrrry durable but doesn’t reflect the best picture.

Comment

• Brettster
      Brettster commented
      Editing a comment
      sawdust mesh tarp
      what exactly is that TheBasementGolfer ? Do you have a link of where it is purchased? Is that like canvas drop cloth (about $30-$40 for 12'x15')?

If that could be covered in front with the Photography Backdrop sheet ($20-$30), and produce a decent image and ball stop at high speeds - it could be the only reasonably priced alternative to pulling of an impact screen that would last forever (just replacing the $20-$30 Photography Backdrop sheet every 1-2 years)? Wow, we're talking $50-$70 total for an impact screen +$100 every 10-15 years. Would like to see pics/video of one of these setups, can you film it @figherofire?
      Last edited by Brettster; 10-22-2021, 04:55 AM.

• tkirk
      tkirk commented
      Editing a comment
      TheBasementGolfer how do you like the heavydutytarp? This seems like a very viable option for us Canadians. Did you end up pairing the Dazian with it?

I purchased it from heavydutytarps.ca
    it was $300 for 9x12 feet. It’s great for impact screen and minimal bounce back. But the image isn’t the best it could be. It’s good. Not great.. for image. So I’m looking for an option to cover that with for a better projected image.

Comment

bmitch - good point...

But just curious how you hung it while making it look clean and not just rigged? Did you install grommets? or just make holes in the fabric?
      I've not hung mine yet, but have it ready to drop in front of an 801 (3 layer) screen. For more info on hanging look at past posts in this thread. I'm sure that Virtualadam and Scottygolf would have more to say about that.

I'll post more when I get my cheapo version (Photo backdrop), as I did not purchase the Daizan screen - though I may in the future.

Comment

Cool deal thanks. I like seeing how people set there's up so drops some pictures when you finish.

Comment

Scottygolf Well I am definitely going to be purchasing the Dazian screen today. It really looks great. I found a grommet kit, so I think I will just install the grommets and have them line up with the existing impact screen grommets so that it will be very secure. Plus I can mount them the same way so that it'll look cleaner.

Sorry if you mentioned this before and I missed it; but, did the Dazian screen help with noise reduction. If not, do you have any noise reduction solutions?

Comment

• Scottygolf
            Scottygolf commented
            Editing a comment
            bmitch - I think it was a little quieter than the picture cloth for $30 that lasted a couple of weeks. Since in my garage I am not too concerned on the sound.

Been reading the thread and also contacted Dazian today to see if they will ship to the UK which they will!
          Just waiting on a quote back from them for what i need but from the above i think it will be really good. I currently have a fairly cheap archery type screen with a mattress protector behind. So putting the Dazian material in front should make a huge difference.

Comment

• Scottygolf
            Scottygolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Brettster & Alex - Guys don't cheap out on the main screen protecting your walls from a golf ball hitting it at a 150-170 mph. Two things to consider for you main net is other discussions talked about moving blankets and tarps bleeding forward into the screens. For me I went with the strongest archery netting recommended for heavy use simulators for 1 fact, I don't want to have to keep moving the primary protection around or having to replace it. I also think that keeping the dazian as close to the archery netting will save on wear. my 2 cents.

• Alex.Morgan
            Alex.Morgan commented
            Editing a comment
            100% agree - i have a proper impact screen from golbays.co.uk. Had it for about 18 months now but its more of an archery material (has a weave to it) so using the Dazian just in front of the impact screen purely for image quality.

• Brettster
            Brettster commented
            Editing a comment
            Alex.Morgan - do you have the Dazian setup now? Has it improved your image, I'm also wanting something I could show movies on for the kids, when I'm not playing in my Sim. Thanks for the video link to your background - wow, loads of stuff behind there, I don't have that kind of room. I'm trying to get away with 6"-8" maximum to back wall.

Originally posted by Alex.Morgan View Post
          Been reading the thread and also contacted Dazian today to see if they will ship to the UK which they will!
          Just waiting on a quote back from them for what i need but from the above i think it will be really good. I currently have a fairly cheap archery type screen with a mattress protector behind. So putting the Dazian material in front should make a huge difference.
          Brettster i used a double mattress protector and used carp clips and bungees to hang it directly behind my impact screen. I also hung moving blankets but against the back wall which is a good foot or so back so doesn't interfere with anything.

Check out my video here it shows me hanging it so maybe of help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz5V1YwoyEM&t=1s

Comment

• Patator100
            Patator100 commented
            Editing a comment
            Alex

I will order from them and get delivered to myus.com address on the us (40usd). Then get it shipped to France (60usd). You could do the same rather than using the dazian ups service (too expensive).
            Can you share with me the email address of the person who has quoted the screen for you ?

Thanks

• Alex.Morgan
            Alex.Morgan commented
            Editing a comment
            That's not a bad idea! Didn't know you could do that to be honest. I just emailed their info email from their website. They replied very quickly
            info@dazian.com

• Patator100
            Patator100 commented
            Editing a comment
            Alex. Have a look at my other posts. They have a dedicated screen for golf. They told me it will be shipped from California. So instead of myus.com, go for planet express

Originally posted by Patator100 View Post
          Hi all

I have to say big thanks to all for the advise.
          I redid my cage (50cm wider and taller) and before buying a Carl’s premium like screen, I ordered alll stuff from Amazon this week and just finished installing the screen. What an amazing result, unbelievable for this price (I left my PR-20 archery screen behind the new 30€ screen).
          I have used Velcro to make sure the curtains and the top black material would perfectly stick on the screen (I had to staple the Velcro as the auto-adhesive on the Velcro was garbage.
          I definitely recommend this solution.

some pictures attached before and after
          what curtains and side netting is that? It looks like 2 different kinds to me in the before and after. I'm in between deciding on side netting or curtains for my garage build.

Comment

Hey Guys, Just a photo of a 4K image on the Dazian screen. Looks awesome, couldn't be happier with this setup.

Side Note: I got a BenQ TK850 True 4K which is one of the top rated projectors, but with the position of my garage door motor, I have to hang the projector too low for my space. I have it posted in the Classified if anyone is looking for a great 4K projector.

Comment

Hi guys and happy new year.

just to make sure, is it the screen to order?
              https://www.dazian.com/product/trape...avyweight-122/

i ve been using the photo drop from Amazon for 6 months now (on front of my p20 archery screen). Absolutely perfect.

i m now looking at replacing my hitachi cp5000 projector by a Panasonic laser pt-vz60 and at the same time changing my screen again for the sake of comparison with my video drop at 30€ !
              so I will try first the dazian raw material…then eventually try the hybridme type 3s screen if it can be better than my current setup or the dazian screen…but so far I haven’t found anybody using this screen from Phil
              https://www.hybridme.co.uk/product-p...-impact-screen

Comment

I also bought the photo backdrop. Im currently ordering another to increase from 4.3 to 16.9
                I have been hamering the first one and it is as nice as the day it arrived. William Jenkins is a genius.👏👏👏🍺 oh yeah the first one I ordered had a slot at the top like a curtain so I just fed a small nylon rope through it and hung it with tarp clips to the ceiling. With the new one coming im going to run a second rope so I can overlap the first drop cloth to widen to 16.9. I know the overlap will cause a difference in picture but better than paying a grand for an impact screen.

Comment

Working...
                X