Creating a dual home theater + golf sim setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a dual home theater + golf sim setup

Wanted to get your collective wisdom on my setup. Currently I am very happy using the net return + TGC + skytrak setup. I have it setup in my home theater which was originally designed and use just for that purpose so the screen and projector are pretty high quality. 11ft ceilings.

I thought I would be satisfied but after watching the videos from the members of this group I would really like to hit into the screen rather than the net. I have gotten used to hitting into the net with the side view but it could be so much more immersive. Obviously I can't hit into the home theater screen and I would like to maintain the primary HT purpose. Has anyone used a movable/retractable impact screen? I was wondering if that could be pulled in front of the HT screen for golf and then retracted for HT viewing? I will prob have to move the chairs to the sides to create a little more hitting room too.

Any thoughts on that setup option??

Also gonna be upgrading the turf to dura pro gorilla perfect 5x5 and use the net return to extend drop and putting area.

Would be tough to do since need to anchor the impact screen typically with bungee cords to angle iron. One thought would be to have a retractable movie screen. Not ideal since better quality fixed HT screen. However would allow you to acid rain both of your goals. Just need to sort out best way to protect the retracted HT screen aince will be above/anterior to impact screen.

Comment

I was thinking of that but like you said its not ideal for the HT setup. I really like my current screen and want to keep it.

Maybe a retractable impact screen in front of the HT screen with several anchors in the ground and hooks on the bottom of the impact screen.

Comment

I have an almost identical setup except my net isn't as nice as yours. I can only swing sideways because my home theater seating gets in the way of my swing. The only idea I have come up with is buying a second projector that isn't as nice and putting an impact screen on the side. It isn't ideal though. I thought about mounting a retractable mirror to the ceiling to project the image to the side but decided it would be too hard to get everything lined up. The problem with a retractable movie screen would be that the focus might get messed up at two separate distances. I'm definitely interested to hear if anyone else has ideas though.

Comment

I have a setup like this..... home theatre and golf sim. I have my theatre screen behind the golf screen. The HT screen is powered and retracts into a slot in the ceiling. The golf screen hangs on hooks about 16 inches in front of the movie screen. My ceiling is 4x4 panels covered in 10lbs carpet underlay and then wrapped in black fabric. I have a wall unit in behind it all. The protective side curtains are on tracks and are stored in the wall unit. It takes about 15 minutes to change from golf to movies as I have a padded floor ( 2x2 interlocking playhouse padded flooring) that goes below my black carpet to install. Some serious thought was put into this basement. The wife gave the okay as long as I could hide most everything. The golf sim stays up 95% of the time now......... and the wife stays upstairs.
          Last edited by keither5150; 05-24-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• BirdiBall
            BirdiBall commented
            Editing a comment
            This is exactly what I had been thinking of. Looks sweet man. Keeps the dual purpose and gotta keep the wife happy. Some questions for you in post below

• BirdiBall
            BirdiBall commented
            Editing a comment
            Which screen did u use?

I'm with andygg1986 on this one. I also think the best solution is to buy another projector and set up an impact screen where your net is now. My first set up was very similar to the one you have now and hitting to a screen is many many times better. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Setting up a second impact screen and projector on the side seems like it would be least change to the existing setup and can be the cleanest setup.

But keither5150 has a pretty sweet setup. That might possibly work. How does the impact screen hold up on hooks? Any issues? Protects the back area well? I like the curtains too. That would keep a clean look. May be able to add some automation to the curtains for a slick look.

Comment

• keither5150
              keither5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              The screen was from GSA. It is double layered heavy fabric with gromit holes around 3 sides. Screen is starting to wear low where my drives hit. But I probably have the equivalent of 800 rounds on it.

I have a dual setup as well. My impact screen and backing/side curtains are all together and hang via bungees from a single U-shaped track. To put away i just slide like a curtain into the corner, setup is the reverse. It takes than a minute to take down and to put up. If it isn't easy and painless to switch you won't like it.

Comment

• BirdiBall
              BirdiBall commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds promising. Any pics of the setup? Where did u get the screen/curtain?

• FaultyClubs
              FaultyClubs commented
              Editing a comment
              The screen is the par2pro HQ material. The curtain is one long piece of heavy industrial canvas...around 8-10 meters...i forget exactly... enough to make both sides plus the screen backing. Sorry no pictures but you get the idea.

The only downside I've found is the canvas backing increases the impact screen noise over a net for backing. But it isn't bad. Net backing isn't enough to stop the ball without tieing down the sides/bottom. The canvas doesn't need tiedowns so is much simpler and quicker to setup and take down (just push the curtain back).
              Last edited by FaultyClubs; 05-25-2016, 01:55 AM.

Originally posted by keither5150 View Post
            I have a setup like this..... home theatre and golf sim. I have my theatre screen behind the golf screen. The HT screen is powered and retracts into a slot in the ceiling. The golf screen hangs on hooks about 16 inches in front of the movie screen. My ceiling is 4x4 panels covered in 10lbs carpet underlay and then wrapped in black fabric. I have a wall unit in behind it all. The protective side curtains are on tracks and are stored in the wall unit. It takes about 15 minutes to change from golf to movies as I have a padded floor ( 2x2 interlocking playhouse padded flooring) that goes below my black carpet to install. Some serious thought was put into this basement. The wife gave the okay as long as I could hide most everything. The golf sim stays up 95% of the time now......... and the wife stays upstairs.
            Looks really well done, hope the 5150 stands for a Peavey EVH 5150 that you have in the music room.............MESA Boogie man

Comment

• keither5150
              keither5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              5150 is LAPD code for a crazy person on the loose or a mental case. Did some crazy stuff while I was young and it kinda stuck.

Originally posted by keither5150 View Post
            Nice set up, that's a sweet ass basement! Love the pile of golf balls, that's definitely one of your things around here haha

Comment

• goatbarn
              goatbarn commented
              Editing a comment
              It's too many balls. Do you never pick up a ball during the round? I swear there are over 70 balls there...

• keither5150
              keither5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              I pretty much never pick up a ball during a round unless it rolls 3/4 the way back to me. I have a small scoop shovel to pick up the balls after I hit. I used to play with more balls, but have switched to ProV1's so now I play with about 100........ just counted 156. There also might be one or two under the couch. I have my cameras reset at 5 seconds.... that doesn't give you much time to admire your shot, go get the ball and get out of the way of the cameras.

Has anyone ever put a net in front of the screen? I'd like to put up a good dedicated cinema screen but don't want to hit balls at it. I thought if I went with a short throw projector and set up a net return or similar behind the projector it would work but fear the image quality will be too degraded looking through net. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Has anyone ever put a net in front of the screen? I'd like to put up a good dedicated cinema screen but don't want to hit balls at it. I thought if I went with a short throw projector and set up a net return or similar behind the projector it would work but fear the image quality will be too degraded looking through net. Any ideas? Thanks!
              The golf channel sim is set up that way.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

• goatbarn
                goatbarn commented
                Editing a comment
                Isn't the golf channel sim a rear projection? I guess if you were ultra short you could out a net behind the projector and still be 5' or so from projector to screen.

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                it is I think. Didn't think of that.

Yes I think it will work....just a question of how it looks. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Awesome setup. I am getting ready to do my garage. Should have all the pieces by Friday. I'm going to hang the projector tonight and get somethings rolling. I'll post pictures.

Comment

Working...
                X